User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2019, 10:42 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Landstar loadboard question

I was talking the other day with a Landstar contractor while waiting for my truck to be repaired. I'm a company driver now, but have thought off and on about getting my own truck and my own authority. This guy mentioned that Landstar has a huge (and lucrative) contract with a shipper about 40 miles up the road from where I live. The load runs through the southeast, terminating in Dallas, which is a lane I'd love to run.

So here's the question … do I just go out and buy a truck, set up my own authority and contact Landstar and tell them I'm ready to run for them? These loads are power only, which I also like because it's all drop and hook. How much does Landstar keep for itself of the $3 - 4 per mile the load pays? The Landstar OO I was talking with said Landstar kept 35% of his gross, but they're also providing him with other services I wouldn't be getting.

Any advice is appreciated.