User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2015, 12:33 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default need info on buying truck to lease to company

Hi;
I recently found myself with no job . Quit good job for different type work with chance to buy truck I was driving . After two weeks owner sold truck . So.... I would like to buy a truck . Having no income of course means I need to get guarantee of work from a company . I would like one that uses end dumps or grain trailers or a no touch drop and hook freight hauler .
I think this would be much better than lease purchase from a company as most of them seem to be scams . I did find one good looking company that seems to have a nice L/P program . Gordon trucking .

So any advice on a good company to lease out to maybe under my authority or theirs maybe at first .

thank you much
Old 02-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am not familiar with carriers who use end dumps or grain haulers. You might check some of the truck stops or shippers to get leads. You will have more flexibility with your own authority. But, some carriers have a lot of their own freight and have annual contracts with shippers. That can be an advantage in that their freight may be more consistent. I know some owner operators who do as well or better leasing to a carrier than they would likely do with their own authority. Having your own authority does require taking responsibility for a little more paperwork, but it isn't insurmountable. Mostly, it involves having to file your own IFTA. That isn't a big deal if you keep your miles and gallons up to date. I use software to keep mine up to date, but have used a spreadsheet. You could even do it in a ring binder or composition book, if you want to do it manually.

I don't know any carrier that has a good lease purchase program. At one time CRST Malone had one of the better programs, but they also did not lease new trucks. One big problem with any lease purchase is the weekly payments. You can easily spend $800-900/week to lease a truck that you may or may not ever own. Most of the lease payments are very high. You are lucky to get drivers wages and will need to not take a lot of time off in order to make it work. Lease payments go on whether the truck is moving or not.