LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndriver View Post
Oregon requires an account to.

Leasing would be an excellent place to start and learn the trade since you already own the equipment. I sold my dry van and bought a reefer because of better revenue averaging almost 35-40 cents per mile over dry van.
Nice to see that you're still alive and working.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
Nice to see that you're still alive and working.
well enough I have actually considered selling the 07 Century and looking at a '12 660.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndriver View Post
Oregon requires an account to.

Leasing would be an excellent place to start and learn the trade since you already own the equipment. I sold my dry van and bought a reefer because of better revenue averaging almost 35-40 cents per mile over dry van.
Oregon requires that you post a $2,000 bond. Unless you run a lot of miles in Oregon, you may just want to buy trip permits each time you enter the state. That is what I decided to do when they started the cash bond nonsense. I didn't run that many miles in the state to justify allowing them to keep that much of my money without paying me interest. You still need to set up an account, but you can order your trip permits online with a credit or debit card. When you lease to a carrier they can usually handle all the permits, cab card, IFTA, etc., Some people even make more leasing to a carrier than they do on their own. You can always go out on your own later. Leasing to a carrier would take some of the pressure off of you for cash flow, too. It would give you an opportunity to learn how to run a truck and to manage your time. You can save your money while learning the business and making money. If you want to go with a carrier, you may check the company listings on the forum. Most of the larger carriers are listed along with their basic hiring requirements.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Board Regular

as I understand working with Oregon.

You apply for an account. As part of that, you have to INITIALLY pay for a $2000 bond. You are paid that back with interest after 1 year.

You can purchase UP TO 5 trip permits for EACH truck in your fleet. After that, you will be required to set up an account with them.

There are a couple of ways to set up your account. One, and the way that they WANT you to do it is to fax the form in. Or else you mail the form in for your company.

Quote:
Application for Motor Carrier Account (Form 735-9075)
http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/motcarr/reg/9075fill.pdf

Eligibility Requirements:
To process transactions through Oregon Trucking Online you must be an established carrier with an MCTD Account Number. In addition to the PIN request form, ODOT MCTD must have your Application for Motor Carrier Account on file (Form 735-9075).

You may fax your application to 503-378-6880. These are processed in the order they are received. Processing time is usually a few days but could be longer depending on office volume. For more information on Motor Carrier requirements in Oregon Please visit the Oregon Motor Carrier Transportation website
http://egov.oregon.gov/ODOT/MCT/.

As soon as your application for Motor Carrier Account is processed and the requirements of the application are met, you will be eligible to request credentials/temporary passes/permits through Oregon Trucking Online.

If you have any questions or require additional assistance, please feel free to contact us at 503-378-6699.

Regards,
ODOT Trucking Online Support
RCS
One way is to get trip permits. Again, limited to a 5 trip per truck lifetime maximum. Like 30 for your fleet. Otherwise you can set up your account that you file monthly reports with Oregon.

I am going through that process now. I have purchased 1 trip permit. I have 4 more that I can purchase.

These are the "stupid games" that an independent has to muddle through to figure out the lanes you want to consider running.

Last edited by mndriver; 02-15-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It has been several years since I have run in Oregon. I don't recall there being a maximum number of trip permits that one could purchase without having to put up the bond. It sounds like Oregon may have made a few changes since I ran out there. If Oregon feels the need to post a cash bond, it should be a graduating scale based upon the size of your fleet. Even if you ran Oregon once a week, it would be difficult for you to use up $2,000 in a year with a single truck. I didn't think Oregon paid interest on the bond. It really amounts to a loan to the state of Oregon. Years ago, Oregon issued a red plate that looked like your regular base plate that had to be displayed on the front of your truck. Back then I don't recall them requiring a bond. You paid for the miles you ran in the state. Oregon recently went up on their mileage rate again. I don't think it is worth the cost of running in Oregon when you look at the freight rates. I am taking them off my cab card this year.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Always has been 5 trip permits/vin#. And they always have paid interest on the bond. As long as you file on time. Wouldn't take long to exceed 2K running from CA to WA and back.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Rookie

Hmm, I have already done 2 trip permits in OR and have a third coming up ...
Old 03-30-2014, 03:16 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm View Post
Hmm, I have already done 2 trip permits in OR and have a third coming up ...
So, it appears you have gone on your own, with your own authority.
But to give you some additional ideas.
I activated my own authority, after being inactive for 5 years, just last month.
I was leased on to a small company but did almost all my own arrangements.
But the arrangement left me with far less money and since I did the load bids I knew how much was coming in.
My own authority easy to set up.
Much tougher to keep up with the paper work, not to talk about the , "new entrant", DOT initial inspection coming soon.
many brokers won't touch you because you are a rookie.
But many of the big ones will,
C H Robinson, will and they only take 1.5% for quick pay. Since fuel and cash flow is important at the start this arrangement will get you though.
Since I used to own my own company I found it hard to work for someone else. Letting them take a piece that I already knew how to do.
You don't need a dispatch service. One load board and a positive attitude when ever talking with or emailing the broker will go a long way.
After only 40 days I am getting regular calls from my past load brokers asking for me because I delivered on time and more important, I kept them informed from the dispatch time to the arrival time, to the loaded time, updates during the trip, a quick text at arrival and most important, that call or text or email saying, "load delivered as promised and thank you for the assignment"
Your prior experience will guide you on personal interactions with the brokers, receivers and shippers. This element of trucking is sorely overlooked and the attitude of the dock workers proves it.
Make sure you get your direct deposits set up right. Its nice to get emails that say , We just deposited $3000 in your bank , while you are driving with another load.
You might try to get full communications in the truck.
Receive emails,( load confirmation), driver instructions, send your acceptance back. then with a scanner, scan all the docs, attach to an email, send directly to the settlement office, turn the key on to the next job.
Remember there are about a dozen profit centers in trucking. If you delegate everything to someone else then you will be giving your money to them also. But to take on everything for most people is too much. Start today figuring out which parts you want and can do and which ones need to left to others.
the money is getting better the freight getting more plentiful and more drivers dropping out do to age and regulation.
Keep focused on your mission, push, and you will do fine.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
Useless, good to see you are still here!
Thanks, Solo! How you been??
Old 03-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Sill alive, if that counts. Not bad, not bad at all....