User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thank you for info. I am a NASTC member. They told me if they could do something they would send me stuff right over in email, didn't get a thing. Looks like I just have to walk a fine line (which do anyhow) and make sure all equipment is tip top shape and drivers are up to par and the next year we roll without any claims then next renewal hopefully will drop substantially.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:17 AM
Senior Board Member

I had one claim coming off this year, but continuing the pattern I've had all year, someone just stole a brand new trailer full of chicken right out of our locked, secured, monitored by cameras, yard yesterday.

They jumped the wall, stole another truck and connected to the trailer and covered their face and cut open the gate. I have been telling everyone I don't want the drivers taking the trucks home but everyone knows better than me. I had GPS on the trailer but they disabled it in Miami and the trail went cold. I really don't know how I got in this business. I'm so anxious to pull the plug but the "unknown" of the future. On top of that, I am the main caretaker of my daughter which this business gives me time to do. I mean she's in school or pre-school but the mother has an executive level position in a financial firm and so it's me dropping her off to school and picking her up and taking her to all her other stuff she's involved in. I am heavily involved in her life and I can't put a price on that as much as I despise this business.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am sorry to hear about the theft, Merrick. It sounds like they knew what they wanted. Have you considered that it could have been an inside job? No one wants to think about that sort of thing, but from your post, it sounds like they knew exactly what they were doing and what to go after. They also had knowledge about camera's and disconnecting the GPS. It could also have been professionals. From what I have been reading, theft is up with trucking. A load of chicken would need to be disposed of quickly. So, they had to have a buyer lined up. I suppose that I am getting ahead of myself. I am glad that you can be there for your daughter. Every business has setbacks. Sometimes trucking can be a roller coaster. Things go along just fine and then it seems like one thing after another happens. Things will get better. I think that there are many in this business who have a love/hate relationship with the industry. I certainly don't enjoy it as much as I did at one time. Hang in there, it will get better. You have come a long way in a very short time.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:15 PM

I myself don't drive my trucks for reasons some of you have read (one hand D.O.T. issue with getting waiver). Honestly I wouldn't want to while my kids are young. I would if needed to put food on table. Fortunately this new deal I am starting SHOULD put enough miles on consistently and average enough consistently to put decent money in bank and expand fleet by 1-3 trucks this year (upcoming 2014). Getting quality drivers is the hardest battle. I guess within next month I will see how it will work out. If works out like should I will be looking for power only drivers to lease onto me (1-3 also).

Merrick I think GMAN has good point of looking at current employees or recently released/quit employees. I think there you will find the scumbag thief.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:34 AM
Senior Board Member

We spoke to the task force and I told the guy that all people are considered suspects and he is free to have access to any personnel files he wants. There are other people that park in that yard and we are in South Florida which besides California is one of the highest cargo theft areas in the country. Apparently it was two Hispanics as the truck they stole (not mine) broke down in Miami. Then that's when they cut the GPS. I don't have Hispanics drive for me; never really did. No offense to anyone here but I stay away from Cubans. I'm married to a South American but even the South Americans here don't like Cubans. NOBODY likes the Cubans.

Who knows, I have about 35 drivers. Plenty of past drivers; people are jealous as we have brand new equipment so who knows. I guess the load was worth over $140,000. If you ask me the broker was dumb to not make sure we had the appropriate insurance. You hit the nail on the head GMAN, this is a love/hate relationship. Well I'm not in debt, I could shut down tomorrow and walk away with a good amount. All the trucks are Ryders and if I ruin my credit over the trailers I have my wife's (I kept her name off everything). We barely even have any personal debt. I'm 42 and have a brain in my head. Right now we are working on Air Freight and Intermodal but what are you going to do?
Old 12-29-2013, 05:26 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4 View Post
We spoke to the task force and I told the guy that all people are considered suspects and he is free to have access to any personnel files he wants. There are other people that park in that yard and we are in South Florida which besides California is one of the highest cargo theft areas in the country. Apparently it was two Hispanics as the truck they stole (not mine) broke down in Miami. Then that's when they cut the GPS. I don't have Hispanics drive for me; never really did. No offense to anyone here but I stay away from Cubans. I'm married to a South American but even the South Americans here don't like Cubans. NOBODY likes the Cubans.

Who knows, I have about 35 drivers. Plenty of past drivers; people are jealous as we have brand new equipment so who knows. I guess the load was worth over $140,000. If you ask me the broker was dumb to not make sure we had the appropriate insurance. You hit the nail on the head GMAN, this is a love/hate relationship. Well I'm not in debt, I could shut down tomorrow and walk away with a good amount. All the trucks are Ryders and if I ruin my credit over the trailers I have my wife's (I kept her name off everything). We barely even have any personal debt. I'm 42 and have a brain in my head. Right now we are working on Air Freight and Intermodal but what are you going to do?
I would post video on youtube and paste URl to some tv agency also share on twitter and other stuff.