User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Bought a new pump truck.

Well I sold my dump truck. So that means im out of for hire trucking. Im going to be selling my other pump truck as soon as the new one gets on the road. Here is the link to the new pump truck. 2002 MACK RD688S Heavy Duty Trucks - Tank Trucks - Vacuum For Sale At TruckPaper.com

Dump trucking was getting bad. The rates are still the same as when i bought the truck 2 years ago. Fuel was at 2.99 and now its 4.45. Still trucking for the same rates. The fuel surcharge they give is peanuts. I get around 90.00 dollars a week for a fuel surcharge. What a joke. So i think its about time to get out.

Now im going 100% in the septic business. I have been getting real busy over the last few months with that. I teamed up with another guy and we are doing full service septic work. Anything from pumping tanks to full installs. I have been making alot more money in that then trucking. So i think its time.

This saturday we have to replace a Distribtion Box in a septic system. The D-box is 9ft. in the ground. It will be around 6-7hr job. Charge the lady 1,950.00 dollars. My patner wants 1,200.00. (he has the machine and new box plus his knows what is he doing). So that leaves 750.00 for me. For 6-7hrs work. Plus the pump truck will be out there and im pumping the tanks for another 245.00. So thats a total of 995.00. Thats right a 1,000 dollars for about 8hrs work. But the best part is my expenses are low. Dumping fee will be about 18.00 fuel to get to job, dump and back to the barn will be about 35.00. So i need to go fulltime with it to try to drum up more work. Plus my patner is training me on how to do installs and all kinds of repairs. So one day i can go buy a back-hoe or whatever and do it my self.

I got a question for you guys. The new pump truck is in Kansas City, Kansas. I will be driving it back to PA. The dealer is going to give me transport tags. Thats it. Do i have to call each state and buy a fuel trip permit?? What else do i need to bring it home. Thanks again.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
What else do i need to bring it home. Thanks again.
A nighttime sky and a way around any scales.

Probably making a good call on getting out. I might be right behind you. There's just too many O/O that will work for nothing.

Good luck with the new venture, from what I know of that business there's good and bad but one things for sure. When you got turds floating in the basement you have to get your tank pumped.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Hmmmm.

Okay B......I get the entire "Get out of it". Now.....just a thought here.

Why did you sell the dump truck? If it had been me...I would have dismounted the dump bed, then bought a vacuum tank and mounted it. The mack you had was already equipped with the PTO and hydraulics for the dump operation.

Was there that big a difference in the trucks, price wise??

Just wondering.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Hmmmm.

Okay B......I get the entire "Get out of it". Now.....just a thought here.

Why did you sell the dump truck? If it had been me...I would have dismounted the dump bed, then bought a vacuum tank and mounted it. The mack you had was already equipped with the PTO and hydraulics for the dump operation.

Was there that big a difference in the trucks, price wise??

Just wondering.
Well to outfit the mack with a tank and pump would have been around 45,000. Plus my payment on the mack is 1,480/month. I had another 3 years on the Mack dump. I owe 51,000 on the mack and sold it for 75,000. So im walking away with 24,000 after that deal. Then im selling the old ford pump truck i have now for 15-20,000. The new pump truck was 69,500. So im going to be putting 40-45,000 down on the new pump truck. So my overall payment a month is around 600/month give or take.

I didnt have the money to put a tank and pump on the mack dump. Plus that payment is almost 1500/month. So this 02 has a new tank and pump on it and only has 215k on it. Plus it has no emission bs on it. So if i get alittle slow with the pumping or septic work. I only have to pay 600/month for the truck. Not 1500.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Here is a new link to the truck. I seen the took the one on truck paper down.

2002 Mack RD688S -

Old 04-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Senior Board Member

You shouldn't have any problems bringing the truck across, no fuel permits needed, since you are just transporting it, when I bought my KW I picked it up in Renton Wa at the KW plant, had a set of transport plates, went thru all the scales no one said a word.

Good luck in the septic biz, you are making the RIGHT decision to get out of trucking, here in Ct septic installs run around 10 grand............YES 10 grand

Easy money, better than you will do with any truck, anytime anywhere.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
You shouldn't have any problems bringing the truck across, no fuel permits needed, since you are just transporting it, when I bought my KW I picked it up in Renton Wa at the KW plant, had a set of transport plates, went thru all the scales no one said a word.

Good luck in the septic biz, you are making the RIGHT decision to get out of trucking, here in Ct septic installs run around 10 grand............YES 10 grand

Easy money, better than you will do with any truck, anytime anywhere.
Thats what the salesman said at the dealer. I wouldnt need anything. But im just double checking.

Thats cheap for a install. Around here they are more like 15-20k. There is money in pumping but once i started seeing the money in repair work and installs. Makes pumping look like peanuts. My pump truck now avg. around 100-115/hr. And thats just riding around town all day. Some days i dont even go 100miles and make over a 1,000 dollars. Then there are other days when im slow and make 400 all day long. But hopefully this year i will start picking up big time to where 4 days out of the week are 1,000 dollar days and then some.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
But hopefully this year i will start picking up big time to where 4 days out of the week are 1,000 dollar days and then some.
You will make more with that pump truck in 4/5 months than any other truck makes in a year............you're making a good move, don't let anybody tell you different.

If I was just a little younger..............
Old 04-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
Well to outfit the mack with a tank and pump would have been around 45,000. Plus my payment on the mack is 1,480/month. I had another 3 years on the Mack dump. I owe 51,000 on the mack and sold it for 75,000. So im walking away with 24,000 after that deal. Then im selling the old ford pump truck i have now for 15-20,000. The new pump truck was 69,500. So im going to be putting 40-45,000 down on the new pump truck. So my overall payment a month is around 600/month give or take.

I didnt have the money to put a tank and pump on the mack dump. Plus that payment is almost 1500/month. So this 02 has a new tank and pump on it and only has 215k on it. Plus it has no emission bs on it. So if i get alittle slow with the pumping or septic work. I only have to pay 600/month for the truck. Not 1500.

Looks like you sat down and did your math B! Good deal........and good luck! Hopefully you will remember all us "peons" when yer King!!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Senior Board Member