User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 01:34 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Canadian HOS.aspx

Above is a quick link to Canadian HOS....7 day cycle. I noticed his first run was in Canada....if he happened to be in Canada after day 7, he would have to shut down for 36 hrs starting on day 8.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:59 AM

Hey Rank,

That is very helpful as well, I am assuming that Canadian/American doesn't matter, if you are in Canada, you have to follow their HOS rules, along with FMSCA rules etc, they are very similar though so...
Old 03-26-2011, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Hey Rank,

That is very helpful as well, I am assuming that Canadian/American doesn't matter, if you are in Canada, you have to follow their HOS rules, along with FMSCA rules etc, they are very similar though so...
If you were to drive in Canada, assuming that Canadian regulations mirror American regulations....You would be very wrong indeed, and could find yourself talking with MDOT and writing them Comcheks to pay your fines.

The first and most important aspect of crossing into Canada,is having done a 36 hour reset, before heading to Canada. A 34 hour reset here in the States does not count up there...only the 24 hour period that you had while doing the American reset, counts for anything. Canadian HOS regulations give you 2 extra hours driving each day......and 3 hours of extra "time". HOS regulations are different for each region of Canada as well. The "Southern Tier" provinces (Canada Main) have one set of regulations, while the "Northern Tier" provinces and the "Maritime" provinces (Canada North) are on a different set.

Canada has a longer set of "total hours worked" (285?), before a full reset is necessary, but Canada requires a 24 hour off duty period once each 7 day period. As an American, MDOT will look at you harder than they will a Canadian driver....simply because of the "Cowboy Mentality" associated with the "American Trucker". If your truck is equipped with Qualcomm or Peoplenet, you are less likely to get a full inspection than a driver running a comic book.

When in Canada, follow MDOT regulations. When in the States, follow the FMCSA regulations....never try and work under both. Just make certain you are legal before you cross the border, which ever direction you are going.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
...... and could find yourself talking with MDOT and writing them Comcheks to pay your fines.

The first and most important aspect of crossing into Canada,is having done a 36 hour reset, before heading to Canada. A 34 hour reset here in the States does not count up there............... MDOT will look at you harder than they will a Canadian driver....simply because of the "Cowboy Mentality" associated with the "American Trucker".
That brings back a memory Orange.

Last winter I was talking to this US trucker couple at the Husky TS (km 632 hwy 401 in ON). He had been put OOS for not recording logging the change in time zones correctly. Plus they fined him for not having hazmat placards (he was carrying batteries to Montreal). Rather than spend the 36 hours at the scale, the wife drove the truck and trailer to the Husky. His dispatch sent another truck in to deliver the load. Then his fuel gelled up.

So they are in a foreign country with no load, not likely to get paid much of anything, fined, OOS and with a gelled up truck. And the only reason they took their first Canadian load in the first place was it paid well and they really needed the money. I felt so bad I bought them breakfast.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:16 AM

That is great information, appreciate it Orange...
Old 03-26-2011, 03:18 AM

Ouch Rank, that kinda hurts,

I do have a question though, with changes in time zones, how is that recorded?
Old 03-26-2011, 03:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Canada and the U.S. are similar in many ways, but if you are American and cross the border you need to remember that you are in a foreign country. The rules are a bit different. I have always had a positive experience in Canada. But, I was always respectful of them and always left a tip in U.S. dollars. I am not sure that would make much difference these days with the current exchange rate. Just make sure you note in your log book when you cross the border either way, if you travel into Canada.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Senior Board Member

You sure it's 24hrs off in 7 days in CA? I've always been under the impression it was 24hrs off in 14 days - so has my dispatcher. If it's 7/24, I've been there illegally a few times.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Senior Board Member

The safest bet is figure all your drivers are putting in a 14hr day EVERTYDAY, because the majority of the time they do. SO every 5 days, he will need a 34 reset. DONE and DONE.....simple as that.

Now I know this won't help you too much, since you won't take my comment to heart..... figure on the best note that he is getting up, doing a PTI, then at some point getting fuel, then doing a post trip and driving his total 11hrs non-stop, then he will have 12hrs in a day roughly. Now if he goes to a shipper and picks-up, crosses a boarder or delivers, then it could be well more than 14hrs that day... hence why I just figure 14hrs each day.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Ouch Rank, that kinda hurts,

I do have a question though, with changes in time zones, how is that recorded?
You always log acording to your HOME TERMINAL location. So if you are on eastern time at your home terminal location, then your log-book should always show EST for everything. NEVER CHANGE TIME ZONES!!!!! Unless you want a HUGE fine and get put OOS for 34hrs minimum