User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default owner operator broker loads and has own authority

i have returned this time i would like to be my own boss. USA trucking: i drove for them for a whole year my schooling is paid in full accident free. i quit driving for them because the dispatcher i had could not maintain his word and keep me moving.

3 companies will hire me
crete will hire me. crete is willing to pay 39cpm
and 2 underground comanies as well they dont use qual's thats a major plus for me. one is paying 34cpm the other 39cpm

I WANT TO BE ELITE, I WANT TO BE O/O, I WANT TO HAVE MY OWN AUTHORITY, AND I WANT TO BROKER MY OWN LOADS. I AM AIMING TO BE A TRUE I.N.D.E.P.E.N.D.E.N.T DRIVER.

so lets say i want to haul flatbeds is it possible for me to make 2.50cpm dealing with flat? could i own a brand new tanker and make more that way?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Man, where have you been.... LOL I love reading your posts..
Old 12-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1984 View Post
i have returned this time i would like to be my own boss. USA trucking: i drove for them for a whole year my schooling is paid in full accident free. i quit driving for them because the dispatcher i had could not maintain his word and keep me moving.

3 companies will hire me
crete will hire me. crete is willing to pay 39cpm
and 2 underground companies as well they don't use qual's thats a major plus for me. one is paying 34cpm the other 39cpm

I WANT TO BE ELITE, I WANT TO BE O/O, I WANT TO HAVE MY OWN AUTHORITY, AND I WANT TO BROKER MY OWN LOADS. I AM AIMING TO BE A TRUE I.N.D.E.P.E.N.D.E.N.T DRIVER.

so lets say i want to haul flatbeds is it possible for me to make 2.50cpm dealing with flat? could i own a brand new tanker and make more that way?
This time of year is probably not the best time to go out on your own, but it will take a few weeks to apply and get your authority back, if that is what you want to do. Freight is likely to be down until about the end of February or the middle of March.

Rates and freight are down this time of year. There are rates which are $2.50+/mile. But, you are not likely to average $2.50/mile. I have gotten some loads that paid me over $3/mile, but it usually involves a long deadhead to get out of the bad area, which lowers the over all rate. I receive offers for loads every day. Most regular flatbed rates are somewhere between $1.60-2.20/mile. If they are going to a bad area rates will go over $2/mile. I have been offered rates at just over $1/mile. It is difficult to believe that anyone would even bother with that low of a rate. I would be embarrassed to offer something that cheap.

Rates will vary according to where you run, what you haul and your negotiating skills. Hopefully, rates will come up after the first of the year. Spring usually brings better rates and more freight availability.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Rookie

thanks gman i have also notice in alabama they have alot of flatbed load. ill be the first to say i don't want to do flats but i chase the money and if that is what i need to do to get 2 to 3 dollars a mile then i will do it no matter what. bad cities im use to them im from south florida miami, fort lauderday, and hollywood.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Rookie

thanks gman i have also notice in alabama they have alot of flatbed load. ill be the first to say i don't want to do flats but i chase the money and if that is what i need to do to get 2 to 3 dollars a mile then i will do it no matter what. bad cities im use to them im from south florida miami, fort lauderday, and hollywood.

what are some of the tools you use to help better your company?
meaning brokers and load boards i was thinking of using internettruckstop loads board and maybe ch robinson
Old 12-16-2010, 02:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There is usually something coming out of Alabama for flats. As you are apparently aware, there isn't much coming out of south Florida unless you want to haul mulch for about $0.90/mile out of north central Florida.

Some of the larger brokers have their own loadboard. OOIDA has one you can subscribe to that is part of the DAT loadboards. Members receive a discount on the monthly service. There are other loadboards that you can subscribe. Most have the same loads, but some have their own. I rarely post my truck on a loadboard because I usually rely more on personal contacts that I have accumulated over the years. About the only time I use a loadboard is when I know that I am going to a dead area or when things get really slow. I will usually just deadhead out of bad areas rather than waste my time waiting for a cheap load.

It takes time to buiild contacts. I don't haul for just anyone who happens to have a load. I also make a point of checking credit on a regular basis, no matter how large the shipper or broker. A company could be good today and have problems a few weeks from now. I have known people who will take a load from anyone without even checking them out. They usually don't last long in this business.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
could i own a brand new tanker and make more that way?
Sure, just fork over the $65,000 for the tank and then another $25k for a haz-mat rider that most insurance companies require LOL........ If you want to run tanker then i would suggest leasing with a company like Quality Carriers, Superior Carriers, or maybe even A&R. I run for QC and avg $3.25 a mile but I am on a dedicated gig. My cousin just came over here last month and he avg $2.55 for all miles and thats pulling THEIR trailer. We are out of the Chicago area tho and freight is always here and pays well, I hear down south and in Cali tanker work pays like crap????
Old 12-16-2010, 03:51 AM
Rookie

@steel horse cowboy

Superior Carriers has a terminal like 30mins from my house on highway U.S 43 its a few miles from our new steel mill

so u are saying buy my rig and get my own authority and i can pull for Superior Carriers for more money right because i dont want a company to pay for nothing on my rig ill just pull their tanks thats all and if i could ill buy and pull my own tank under my own authority
Old 12-16-2010, 03:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
....is it possible for me to make 2.50cpm dealing with flat?
No. Not consistently and not in VA, MD, PA, WV, RI, CT, NY, MA, VT, NH, QC or ON. It's hard enough to get $2/loaded mile.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:15 AM
Rookie

east coast man i tell u that is usa trucking main trucking area but i might back out of the flat deal because of the weather i cant do the tarpping in the snow but i will haul bulk and i am willing to hual 1.60 or better but my questions are answered i would love to own my own company one day and i do plan on having both flats and bulk i dont plan on making payments when i get out there i will have all of my equiptment paid in full