User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I run a 40' frameless with a spread axle, only advantage is the axle weight, I can pretty much scale 82,000 and still have the axles legal.

Not that hard, no, but you have to be careful, frame or frameless will roll in the blink of an eye, a strong gust of wind could do it, I have seen it happen

I find frameless to be much more stable, just my opinion, I see maybe 1 frame type to 10 frameless in my line of work, most all of them are 40 or 42 feet now.

For the stuff I do I need a large capacity trailer, mine is 80 yards
Old 01-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
so being new to hauling a dump isn't really that hard right?? just if you have a frameless dump just make sure its level and your on a hard surface?? also is it an advantage to having an spread axle dump??
There's a lot more to it than that....wait till they ask ya to spread it.

2 major aspects of a frameless I like is the weight and....9 out of 10 times..if the trailer goes over the tractor will stay upright.
If it goes over, most damage would be the draft arms.

A frame trailer is a 90% gaurantee to take tractor with the trailer.

When loading especially this time of the year....you need to watch your moisture content of the load. Seen many a trailers go over because a load froze or partially froze.
Some loads don't have to freeze. I use to run "bank" sand to Detroit. As you drove the load compacted. Needless to say, You could raise the box 2/3 rds of the way and the load still won't budge.

Best advise....put a liner in the trailer. ( Now I'm talking a 40' trailer ). Come to think of it I've seen 24'ers go over. In your area....wet coal this time of the year plays with trailers as well.

As far as frame verses frameless,....depends the length and what you plan on doing. Short trailers good for local work and asphalt - other hourly as well. OTR I would go frameless for the weight.

Just remember one thing.....Just because the area your dumping is level and appears to be solid....don't let it fool ya. That box could be up half to two thirds, and the ground could start to sink. I've seen it happen....and once that hoist binds....your F*C*ED !

Also.....never....ever.....ever....dump right next to someone as they are dumping. I don't care if they are your best friend from the same company......NEVER. Seen two many "buddies" dumping together from the same company.....One truck drove out the other was towed!

There are a few major End dump companies....WIlls, Jack Grey, Stenger, Beelman, Pavolich. Keep doing searches. Your larger companies probably won't pay as well. But, they may save you the cost of a trailer right away.???

I loved dump and hopper......Just remember, these trailers are the most expensive and the rates are among the lowest!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider76 View Post
if the trailer goes over the tractor will stay upright.
If it goes over, most damage would be the draft arms!
You are sadly mistaken here. I myself have laid over a truck with a frameless, and I know of 6 other people whom have done the same thing. It acts a pivot and slams the cab twice as hard to the ground.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
You are sadly mistaken here. I myself have laid over a truck with a frameless, and I know of 6 other people whom have done the same thing. It acts a pivot and slams the cab twice as hard to the ground.
That's scary! After 30 years in dump,and never laying a trailer over. The only frameless trailer / tractor combo I 've seen laid over were the "drivers" that started out with TR/ TLR leaning.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider76 View Post
That's scary! After 30 years in dump,and never laying a trailer over. The only frameless trailer / tractor combo I 've seen laid over were the "drivers" that started out with TR/ TLR leaning.
Well my layover was because a jackass backed-up next to me at a site and started to raise his box as I was already dumping and his pin snapped and trailer fell into me which sent me over (hurt like a bitch too, 23 stitches later)

The others I seen were prob drivers fault, and one was deff his fault as he had 1 set of tandems on the driveway and the other on the sidewalk.

We also did a lot of cement factories and dumped sand which is a bitch to begin with, then add the fact of the soft bottom we had to dump on, it wasn't much fun.

I can honestly say i don't miss running a dump at all. It is much easier to just drag a tank and drop it off LOL
Old 03-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Rookie

I am looking for a steel frame dump trailer equipment for work to haul steel brickets from AR to IN about 10 loads to start - good rate 877-240-6164

Last edited by sreis; 03-07-2013 at 02:33 PM.