User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default columbia fridge/inverter question

i just got a 2000w/4000w peak inverter. i plan on using it for a microwave. and a fridge.. now my question is.. (mainly) is there a mini fridge that will fit in the stock cubby hole that i can get at walmart? also, that inverter should cover it right?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
i just got a 2000w/4000w peak inverter. i plan on using it for a microwave. and a fridge.. now my question is.. (mainly) is there a mini fridge that will fit in the stock cubby hole that i can get at walmart? also, that inverter should cover it right?
My guess is that you won’t find the fridge you’re looking for at Wal-mart I bought my AC/DC freezer from an RV dealer, but it wasn’t cheap. What I can guarantee you us that a 2k watt inverter will be plenty to power everything you can stuff into your truck.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Senior Board Member

cool. do you have a link to a fridge like yours? also, how/where do you mount the inverter?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
cool. do you have a link to a fridge like yours? also, how/where do you mount the inverter?
I just checked and the place I bought my freezer at seems to no longer have a website. Here’s a link to another site that sells these units.
This is the Dometic CF-40… Dometic CoolFreeze Portable Refrigerator Freezers CF40 - $529.00
Which is closest to my freezer.

Here’s one twice as big for $750… Dometic CF-080AC110 CF-80 Waeco CoolFreeze Portable Fridge Freezer AC & DC Trailer RV Camper
This things are a little pricey, but they more than pay for themselves as long as you actually use them. I have a fridge, freezer, 1100 watt microwave, 12 cup percolator and hot water pot. I shop at Wal-Mart every two weeks or so and NEVER spend money eating in a truck stop. I’ve heard some guys say they even have a George Forman Grill (I don’t have one because I think the grease would vaporize and then collect on the interior of my truck).
Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Board Regular

Truckfridge is where I got mine and it works great. Have had it in 2 cascadias and a kenworth so far. plugs right into a cigarette lighter wire harness.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
Truckfridge is where I got mine and it works great. Have had it in 2 cascadias and a kenworth so far. plugs right into a cigarette lighter wire harness.
I will have to bookmark that site in case I decide to add another or replace my existing freezer. If they say on the website, I must’ve missed it. How cold do they get? Set at zero, mine will range from negative two to maybe as high as six degrees.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Senior Board Member

how do you turn it on and off while not in use? also does its ok to just leave it pluged in to the cig. lighter all day night? 24/7?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
how do you turn it on and off while not in use? also does its ok to just leave it pluged in to the cig. lighter all day night? 24/7?
I leave mine on the entire time I’m on the road. When I come home, I usually bring it inside and use it for extra fridge or freezer space. My unit has a power button, but you could just unplug it as well. Leaving it on would eventually drain your batteries, unless you are like me and have an APU with a battery monitor and a shore power plug.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Board Regular

It gets pretty cold (the truckfridge TF-49). I've put lean cuisines in my freezer and they've stayed rock hard. And, because I didnt know how sensitive the temp gauge was once my milk once froze... the gauge wasn't all the way down so it didn't freeze as hard as a brick but it was pretty hard. And, when you exit the truck the temp gauge knob thingie is also the power off knob. I normally turn it off and keep the fridge open to thaw any frost on the freezer, then clean it out before leaving and refilling. Only takes 20 or 30 min to reach temperature from room temp.

Their pretty good in their customer service department too. I bought it for a cascadia and because I didn't buy the mounting bracket they called to make sure I had one before they shipped it out (which I bought). Once shipped, I think I had it within 3 days or so. But, you can stop by their showroom somewhere on I75 in KY and pick it up to save money on shipping if you like too.