User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Can I sue department of Revenue? or what should I do?

Hi, so i've had this problem with department of revenue and secretary of state, Indiana. First of all its been since Oct 2012 that i've been trying to resolve this issue. In Oct 2012 i found out that my llc has been dissolved, I've been contacting secratary of state and department of revenue since then to this day. All im getting form them is that they say they will send me paper work to sign and I never get it. i keep calling and keep talking to people who dont want to do their job and try to blame everything on me.
their excuse is that i havent updated my address with them. I've changed addresses about 8 years ago. I even received mail form department of revenue and secretary of state time to time. anyways, I know i updated address with them but there is no way of proving that, because who actually keeps a copy of that every two year paper you send back with payment. anyways
this is one problem. what can I do about it.
Second. back in July i send a payment for ifta irp payments. my check never got withdrawn i contacted department of revenue telling them the check hasnt been withdrawn, they told me all is good.
anyways now, they trying to not send me ifta saying I have to pay more then twice the amount because they trying to tell me they sent out notice that check has not cleared. after asking them what address they sent the notice to, they tell me the address from 8 years ago. WTF?!
I mean this is retarded, does anyone do their job over there in the capital?
Morons are now holding my ifta and also deducted one of the half of the payment from my bank without my authorization.
what can I do and not do here? I didnt not approve that charge, so they arent allowed to take money out, right?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:53 PM
Board Icon

I think the best way to get an answer to whether you can sue them or not is to go talk to a lawyer. None of us here are lawyers!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Good luck with the IFTA. You said you knew the check didn't clear. Stop payment and re-issue.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can sue them, but I am not sure you will be successful. It would be cheaper and make more sense to just talk with them and straighten it out. If it were me, I would pay them and forget about it. The check never cleared so they never received payment. You can either send the check certified mail or snail mail. If you are in a hurry, you could drive to their office and deal with it directly. That way you can make sure the address is correct and receive a receipt that the taxes have been paid at the same time. I don't know how they could deduct anything from your bank account unless you gave them your information. Things happen. For the cost involved, I would just pay it. You will lose much more from lost revenue than by paying the fine. You might talk with them and see if they will wave any late fees. If not, consider it the cost of doing business. Sometimes, things happen that are out of your control.