User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

heavyhaulerss, i thank you for the kind words and honesty. i do ok where i am now. i'm a company driver, no headaches, no payments but also standing stagnant. my boss is great, my work is steady, home every night. but.. i also have NO life whatso ever. do i think i'd have more of a life doing the 600 miles a day? yes. i've done it before. i could prob. do better on that number by buying a truck that is better on fuel. but it is a no win situation. the trucks i'm looking at that are better on fuel are also 10k more then the truck i'm looking at now. of course the other trucks are better looking but from my stand point.. as long as it passes inspection i can careless how it looks. if you think a shiny truck with a bunch of lights and chrome makes you king trucker.. your a moron. it does not make you a dime more then the older truck with some blemishes.

probably shouldnt post while in a bad mood...
Old 06-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
Come to philly. You will see alot of them.
cit & state Union jobs provided by the government, financed by tax payers does not count.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
heavyhaulerss, i thank you for the kind words and honesty. i do ok where i am now. i'm a company driver, no headaches, no payments but also standing stagnant. my boss is great, my work is steady, home every night. but.. i also have NO life whatso ever. do i think i'd have more of a life doing the 600 miles a day? yes. i've done it before. i could prob. do better on that number by buying a truck that is better on fuel. but it is a no win situation. the trucks i'm looking at that are better on fuel are also 10k more then the truck i'm looking at now. of course the other trucks are better looking but from my stand point.. as long as it passes inspection i can careless how it looks. if you think a shiny truck with a bunch of lights and chrome makes you king trucker.. your a moron. it does not make you a dime more then the older truck with some blemishes.

hey Firebird.. try looking up my other few post's about how I got into trucking. I dont how to find post, without going thru every one. I have not learned how to navigate this sight well enough yet. I started with a lot less going for me than you. YOU CAN make this work. if I can be of any help, in any way let me know. You ARE A PRODUCER, AN ACHEIVER, a worker who is not lazy waiting for some one to carry you thru your life. take your time deciding & make it work. make it work! my best to you.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Senior Board Member

heavyhaulerss, again i do thank you for the all the help and kind words! i might take you up on the offer if nothing pans out. its strange.. it seems opportunities are coming up now. going to talk to my current boss now hope i can work something out. just pay insurance and truck payment. all fuel paid for his trailers, all drop and hook or unload rolling stock. :clap:
Old 07-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post

How you expect to have a life doing 3000 mi/wk? Weekends you'll be working on truck.

And there's something to be said for lights and chrome. The value of beauty is debatable but IMHO it definitely has an effect on pride and mood when it comes to trucks. I'd be one mean, apathetic SOB if I drove an ugly aero truck.

A lot of guys come to the internet seeking info to get into the trucking business and want to consider themselves "businessmen" and poo-poo long hoods, chrome and such since it doesn't add to revenue. But these "businessmen" still have trouble with 4th grade level math. Would a wise "businessman" even enter an industry where the profit margin is in the low single digits and most newcomers fail in the first year and companies are cutting each others' throats to haul freight for no profit?

I'd bid that company $900/load plus FSC (@5mpg & 1.05/gal. one way), three loads a week.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member

i've been putting off replying to this for a while now.

first... not a new comer to the business. my family has been in it since WW2.

second: how will i have a life? easy.. very easy. drive up unload reload come back unload. 10-14 hour day. i did it before when i was a company driver for another company...

third: the lights thing.. thats all in prefrence.

fourth: i always have something on the back burner. i am also tryign to get in O/O with my boss. about 10k a month clear.. some might not think its a lot.. but its clean, light 12 hour day work.

i like to get other peoples opinions before i jump in head first. if nothing pans out i stay a company driver where i am now..
Old 07-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Weekends you'll be working on truck.
Agree

My buddies now and then say "We never see you anymore"
I say"Come to the house and look under the truck"
Old 07-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, times has changed, i use to average 11-12 grand a month after operating expenses(fuel, tolls), running 9-11,000 miles a month, puling company trailer. This days, i'm happy to make 8-9 grand, running 8-9,000 miles. $2,200 after fuel, is not a bad money this days, but if you have to run 3,000 miles to make it, here is a catch, "tear and wear" on a truck, could eat up a bigger portion of it, than you'd expect.