User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How are rates??

Has anyone been making any money lately? I have been reading that there is more freight moving and I am just curious if any of you guys are getting better rates from brokers or if they're still squeezing you too/.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Rookie

Rates are in the toilet..............it is a joke out here....anybody want to buy a 98 KW W900L and a 50' Doonan Step with full ramps,chains,tarps and straps......I am going fishing!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are a couple of areas where rates seem to be better lately, but they are going down in other areas. I spoke with one guy who told me that he was offered $0.46/mile to move a load. issedoff: Fuel is going up and rates are going down. Frankly, I don't see why anyone would even consider taking a load for less than it costs to pay expenses and make a decent profit. Those that do deserve to fail. They are failing with every load they put on their truck. The side effect is that it makes it difficult for those of us who refuse to haul for fuel money. At $0.46/mile you may not even cover your fuel cost. :hellno:
Old 06-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Rates are not the best, but I do better staying local right now, like a 150 mile radius. The runs I do are from 80 to 120 mile. It's more work on the trailer, loading and unloading a few times a day but I like that anyway so it works for me.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm a company driver so I know zip about the rates But I have noticed that my loads are starting to get heavy/larger. I run the same inter-wharehouse transfer load evry night and 18mo ago my avg. was about 35k, When it started going down to a about 15k with a low of 9,000! Lately it seems to be picking up as I've been pulling lds in the 28-30k range. This is all pet food, if people can afford to pay for high end dog food I figure things are looking up.
I'm I right?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
I'm a company driver so I know zip about the rates But I have noticed that my loads are starting to get heavy/larger. I run the same inter-wharehouse transfer load evry night and 18mo ago my avg. was about 35k, When it started going down to a about 15k with a low of 9,000! Lately it seems to be picking up as I've been pulling lds in the 28-30k range. This is all pet food, if people can afford to pay for high end dog food I figure things are looking up.
I'm I right?
I would have to agree. I've talked to a couple of bankers the last few days (one of which is my mommy ) and they both said they're making loans like crazy the past few months now. It's going to be a slow turn around but I think it's starting to happen.

I been busy the last month and a half, so I think people are spending some money. If I could just keep truck outta the shop. issedoff:

Ocean City, MD had a record crowd for Memorial Day, the biggest since they started keeping records of it. That says something, I think people are just getting tired of being hermits and splurged a little for the holiday maybe? Or maybe things are looking up.

Last edited by RostyC; 06-16-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Rookie

Does anyone out there work with CH Robinson? How are their rates? Can you give me any examples of good or bad? I hear they have freight but don't always pay the best rates.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It depends on where you are, what you pull and how badly they need to move the load. Rates can be fairly good to lousy. In general, I have gotten pretty good rates on most of what I have hauled for them. I don't see anyone having very good rates lately. I did get offered about $0.75/mile today from one of their offices. He seemed embarrassed to even offer it (as he should). There is more double and triple brokering going on now than ever. A smaller freight base and still too many trucks who are still willing to haul for fuel or even lunch money and you have a formula for cheap rates. The time of year and with fuel on the way up we should see rates going up. Instead, it seems that they are going down.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Senior Board Member

as more & more co's & o/o's face losing it all, more rates are being cut. rates that have been cut once, are making cuts every month or so. 1.25 to 1.05 to 1.00 now .94 a hundred wt.in my area. rates are going to keep getting cut until the ones cutting them go out of business, & the one left refuse to haul for cheap rates. if i had my way, I would not want any one to haul for anyone who has participated in the rate cut's. I would like to see the shippers go out of business that except the lower rate from other carriers.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I spoke with a broker a couple days ago and we were talking about the cheap rates. I said something like I wish these cheap freight haulers would hurry up and go out of business so we could start getting decent rates again. He thought that was being selfish. :roll: I understand that when your back is to the wall most people will do whatever they must to survive. The problem with hauling cheap freight is that you cannot take care of your bills. All you are doing is buying fuel and seeing the country.