User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I forgot to note that my experience has been completely in the realm of Van and Reefer operations... specialized (OD loads, split axle trailers, etc.) might not get the same benefits. I'm thinking specifically of split axle trailers turning tight corners where you tend to drag the rear set around the corner -- I'm sure the singles could take it, but they might not wear the same as something with less tread per tire.

Jim
Old 04-16-2009, 02:22 PM

I put Michelin X-one's on my 2003 Freightliner Columbia about 30k miles ago. Fuel mileage aside, the truck rides 100% better. Less "wander", smoother...It's just amazing. I have noticed a 3- 5% increase in fuel mileage. As far as traction goes, great in the snow and rain loaded or pulling empty trailer. Bobtail in the rain, it makes you pucker up. Tires lock up easy. This week I converted my trailer (48 ft flat) as well. I did put the retreads on the trailer. Under $400/each. I'm anxious to see the improvement. We picked up a load from GA to OR yesterday, but it's only 3k pounds....Will have to wait till we get a heavier load to tell.

As far as flats and blowouts, from everyone that I have talked to (drivers, truckstops and Michelin reps) they are very uncommon. If you register with Michelin's On call service they guarantee they will have roadside assistance to you in less than 2 hours or they pay the service call!

Check out the video on Michelin's web-site. Very impressive.
Michelin Americas Truck Tires Videos and Demos Page

If you are not interested in buying the wheels, let me know as I would be.

Thanks and good luck!

-scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep dixie blue View Post
So what's the measurable benefit of changing to super singles? How much fuel savings?

I've got a chance to buy four used aluminum super single wheels (and tires but they're more bald than me) for $500. Seems like a good deal.

How much do super single tires cost? Where is the best place to get them?

How are they in winter weather and off road situations (I pull a flat)?

I'm trying to find out all the pros and cons before investing.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:38 PM

I think I'm going to give them a try. Now just have to find some tires.

I talked to my tire guy in Chattanooga, Diprima Tire, and they sell some Chinese singles from Sumitomo; $390 each that he says they have had very good results with. I went to the Michelin site to see how they compare, rolling resistance-wise, with Michelin but of course they are not listed.

What's the best price anyone has seen on a Michelin single? Without rolling resistance data its hard to compare two different makers side by side. And for that matter, I'm leary of accepting data that all comes from just one manufacturer.

One of my drive axles is ready for new tires now but the other one has tires that I gave $250 apiece for last August (Double Coin). They've got about 70,000 miles on them and still have well over half the tread left. I can sell them to a friend and get enough to pay for one super single. So that will leave me out of pocket for the other three ($1200) plus the wheels ($500). If keep my old wheels and just buy four new standard tires I'm looking at $1000. So the initial outlay is really only going to be $700 when you look at this way (plus mounting and balancing, etc, for whichever way I go) that I need to recoup.

Since I slowed down I'm averaging right at 7.0 mpg, which puts my fuel price per mile right around $0.31. If I cut my fuel costs by 4%, which is what I'm told I can expect, that's a savings of $0.0124 per mile. So then it will take me approximately 40,322 miles to recover my initial investment and after that point I will be making money with them.

Plus have a 400 pound weight savings and a better ride.

Sounds like the way to go.

P.S. The reason this guy is selling them is because he was bobtailing too fast in the rain on bald singles and nearly hydroplaned off the road. It scared him so bad he took them off as soon as he got home.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:37 PM

I honestly think that you are making the right decision. You will really enjoy them. Is that $390 for a Virgin tire? If so, that's a great deal. The Michelins will be more than 2X that. I do feel its a better product, but twice at good is not likely.

I just noticed you are in georgia. Where are you located? I'm in Snellville. If you want to call me to chat, my cell is seven-seven-zero-294-5149

good luck
-scott

Quote:
I think I'm going to give them a try. Now just have to find some tires.

I talked to my tire guy in Chattanooga, Diprima Tire, and they sell some Chinese singles from Sumitomo; $390 each that he says they have had very good results with. I went to the Michelin site to see how they compare, rolling resistance-wise, with Michelin but of course they are not listed.

What's the best price anyone has seen on a Michelin single? Without rolling resistance data its hard to compare two different makers side by side. And for that matter, I'm leary of accepting data that all comes from just one manufacturer.

One of my drive axles is ready for new tires now but the other one has tires that I gave $250 apiece for last August (Double Coin). They've got about 70,000 miles on them and still have well over half the tread left. I can sell them to a friend and get enough to pay for one super single. So that will leave me out of pocket for the other three ($1200) plus the wheels ($500). If keep my old wheels and just buy four new standard tires I'm looking at $1000. So the initial outlay is really only going to be $700 when you look at this way (plus mounting and balancing, etc, for whichever way I go) that I need to recoup.

Since I slowed down I'm averaging right at 7.0 mpg, which puts my fuel price per mile right around $0.31. If I cut my fuel costs by 4%, which is what I'm told I can expect, that's a savings of $0.0124 per mile. So then it will take me approximately 40,322 miles to recover my initial investment and after that point I will be making money with them.

Plus have a 400 pound weight savings and a better ride.

Sounds like the way to go.

P.S. The reason this guy is selling them is because he was bobtailing too fast in the rain on bald singles and nearly hydroplaned off the road. It scared him so bad he took them off as soon as he got home.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I got my truck new and the dealer traded the two steers and eight duals, plus rims, for two Michelin XNA 3 (or whatever their best steer tire is -- too lazy to get out and look) steers, four super single tires plus four super single aluminum rims for $1,500 total (I was told it was $4k for the tires and rims as a package, minus $2.5k for the trade-ins).

In the first three quarters that I've run my truck I've purchased $48,184 in fuel (pump price minus company discount, not including FSC) and 5% of that is about $2,400. Extrapolate that forward for a total of 24 months shows about $128,000 in fuel purchased, save about $6,000 and change, new set something like $3,000 so they could pay for themselves twice over.

Quote:
Sounds like the problem with traction was the person behind the wheel... did he think he would get better traction with eight bald duals? Sheesh.

Jim
Old 05-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Senior Board Member

I had Super Singles on my company Volvo and on some of our trailers. Have to admit the ride was better with them and much better when the trailer had them too. Pulled straight as an arrow.

Only thing I didnt really care for was when I had to chain them up....Im old and they are heavy...LOL

Good luck with them.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Board Regular

My 05 volvo came with brand spanking new super singles.

One quick question tough:

What's the optimum tire pressure you need to keep them at? 100 or 110 psi?

TY
Old 05-06-2009, 11:07 PM

There should be a sticker on the inside portion of your door or the door seal with inflation information for all your tires. I run mine at 100 normally or 105 in the winter time and haven't had any issues.

Jim
Old 05-08-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m View Post
My 05 volvo came with brand spanking new super singles.

One quick question tough:

What's the optimum tire pressure you need to keep them at? 100 or 110 psi?

TY

Michelin's website shows a max of 120 psi.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I passed by a truck the other day who had lost a tire on his drives. He was on the rim as he pulled off the freeway. Traffic was heavy so I didn't get a good look at his tires other than the remnants of what was left peeled off as I passed. I would like to get better fuel mileage but I think that I will wait until these tires prove themselves more before I would buy them. Besides, it would take time to recoup the cost of changing wheels and tires. Since I usually keep spare tires with my trucks it would also require me to purchase another tire at considerable cost to use as a spare. For those of you who are using the super singles or converting to them I hope you will check in from time to time to let us know how things are going with them and how you like them as you gain more experience.