User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Super Singles?

So what's the measurable benefit of changing to super singles? How much fuel savings?

I've got a chance to buy four used aluminum super single wheels (and tires but they're more bald than me) for $500. Seems like a good deal.

How much do super single tires cost? Where is the best place to get them?

How are they in winter weather and off road situations (I pull a flat)?

I'm trying to find out all the pros and cons before investing.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Senior Board Member

I never owned any. though I dont think they would be a good idea for a o/o. just my opinion. I haul flat too & I have at times with one tire down slow way down & limp to the nearest truck stop, rest area e.t.c. but with a full load & a super single going out.. your stuck where your at. I talked to a driver a year or so ago & he had one go out he said no one had one in the immed area & had a service truck bring one from approx 100 miles. it was a maverick driver.so no cost to him. I think they are stocked in more places now, but not near enough for me. I would not think of going without a spare. but then where would you put the spare? may have to make a special holder under the trailer to hold the bigger size. none of the local small truck shops in my town carry them. they can get them, you can get the standard sizes everywhere.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep dixie blue View Post
So what's the measurable benefit of changing to super singles? How much fuel savings?

I've got a chance to buy four used aluminum super single wheels (and tires but they're more bald than me) for $500. Seems like a good deal.

How much do super single tires cost? Where is the best place to get them?

How are they in winter weather and off road situations (I pull a flat)?

I'm trying to find out all the pros and cons before investing.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

I spoke to a guy the other day and he said that he gets about 1 mpg more with the super singles than the duals. He had the super singles on his drives as well as his trailer. I remember speaking to another owner operator about a year ago who planned on taking the super singles off and putting his duals back on. I like the idea of getting better fuel economy, but I have had a number of blowouts over the years. As Heavyhaulerss said, you will be stuck if you have a blow out until a service truck can come out.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I spoke to a guy the other day and he said that he gets about 1 mpg more with the super singles than the duals. He had the super singles on his drives as well as his trailer. I remember speaking to another owner operator about a year ago who planned on taking the super singles off and putting his duals back on. I like the idea of getting better fuel economy, but I have had a number of blowouts over the years. As Heavyhaulerss said, you will be stuck if you have a blow out until a service truck can come out.
I spent quite a bit of time and energy looking into super singles when I bought my truck last year. On tractor only, the companies that make them claim up to a 4% increase in fuel economy. On both tractor and trailer, they claim up to 6% benefit. My biggest concerns as already voiced above by Heavyhaulerss and GMAN were lack of wide spread availability and being stuck on the side of the road with a blowout. I ended up not outfitting my truck with the super singles. Maybe someday if they start using Kevlar belts in them to make the tires puncture proof I would consider it, but it just seems like too big a risk with too little gain to me.

I will mention this: Last year, I was talking to some wrench turners at a Petro and mentioned that my biggest fear with super singles was having a flat and being stuck out on the road, and he told me that the side walls are thick enough to actually run on a flat for a long way, albeit very slowly. He said that the week before we were talking he convinced a driver of a fully loaded tanker (non HAZMAT, thank God) to drive 60 miles down I-40 with a flat trailer super single and the driver made it to the Petro in Oklahoma City with no problems (although he did have to drive 45 mph the whole way).

Even if you can run on them flat, you get a hole in a sidewall or a large rip in the tread that can’t be patched and you are out nearly twice the money as if it had happened to a standard bias tire. I kinda figure that any money saved on fuel with the things will be eaten by the extra added cost of replacing the occasional unfixable flat.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Senior Board Member

When I was in the trainer truck for CFI, we had a driver tell us on the CB that one of our super singles was flat. We were going 70mph and never even noticed it... you still have the other axle to keep you rolling till you can get to a place to stop (of course we were empty at the time... loaded might be different). The cost for the tire (for an X-One) was around $900 if I remember right. This was 3 years ago so I have no idea what they run today.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:15 PM

What about ride quality?

How many miles can you get out of them?

Thanks again for the input.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Approx 60% of my equipment has super singles. I do better on mpg and mileage from them. I would not use them without a constant air system on the trailer and a tire monitor system on the tractor. The trailer will keep as much air going into the tire as the compressor can put out. The monitor system will alert if the pressure starts to drop.
They make a tire carrier for them or extend the one you have 4 inches.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Senior Board Member

after all has been posted here about these singles, I don't think the industry is ready for them yet.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 PM

I run michelin super singles on my truck (07 Volvo 780) and wouldn't consider running with duals.

To me, the benefits of super singles are increased fuel economy (4-10 percent, depending on just the tractor or both tractor and trailer), durability and ride quality.

I operate my truck in the most efficient manner possible, with 7.73 MPG averaged over the first 104,500 miles in service. When I was going over the cost vs benefit on the super singles, I kept coming back to the fact that over time they more than pay for themselves -- and I was using 4% fuel savings as my test case. When you factor in the fuel surcharge (particularly when it was higher last year), I was effectively averaging nearly 12 MPG with my setup.

When I drove for CFI, the tractor I had came with all four original super single tires. I had it from about 145,000 to 291,000 miles and ended with two of the tires still on the truck! Properly maintained, I expect a 250k-300k useful life for these drive tires.

When I changed companies to one that uses duals for most of its trucks, I couldn't believe the amount of "sag" that took place during turns with a heavy load. This will likely surprise any driver used to supers, as they don't sag under any legal load that I've ever pulled.

As far as going on with a blown dual vs a blown super single, no tire manufacturer advises this under any circumstance. And lets face it, it isn't 1960 -- we have QualComms, cell phones, PDAs and all sorts of gadgets that keep us in contact with the outside world.

The only negative I've personally heard about super singles from some users is they don't feel they get as much traction out of them as they do with duals. I've driven three winters now with the supers and I simply disagree on this point.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Well Jim. thanks you for your knowledge on this issue. If I had a new or close, to new truck I may try the singles & anything else to maximize profits. but as I have an older truck, I would not want to spend the extra money to convert my already working tire system. having over 1.2 mil miles on my truck, the new tires may outlast the truck itself. lol. but a newer truck, I would think about it. also if I bought a truck new or used & it came with the singles.. I would keep what ever is on the truck.

I think if they are worth it, the market will show it, & truck will come with them from the factory.. I can say though, without personal experience, that I see where the sag may be different. in favor of the singles.