User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 03:22 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Forwarded PM request in case he is sleeping
Old 08-03-2008, 03:27 AM
Board Icon

I'll come back to this thread some time tomorrow and try to be as helpful as possible. Promise.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Thanks Rev.Vassago, like to help a newbe that is for real and really trying
Old 08-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Landstar does a lot of drop and hook. I am sure Schneider does as well. Schneider has their own website for driver and owner operators, I believe. I think it is called pumpkin something. You could get first hand information by talking with those currently leased to them. I would not take any of these companies word about anything. Rev and a few others are leased to Landstar and should be able to give you more current information on them. CAM was leased to them for a while. I haven't seem much of him lately. I think he left to pull tankers. There are some Landstar agents who will help you book loads on both ends.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:09 AM
Board Icon

Okay, I'm still awake, so I'll see what I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Landstar does a lot of drop and hook.
Not the Landstar that I pull for. There are a few agents who do quite a bit of drop and hook, but in the 6 months I've been here, I've dropped my trailer twice.

From what I've heard, the SNI load board is a lot nicer than the LS board, simply because it is uniform throughout. All the loads are listed the same - linehaul, FSC, and any accessory pay. The LS board is hit and miss - some post the FSC, some lump it in with the linehaul. The FSC is generally all over the place - some agents have FSC's that are way too low, and others have FSC that will pay for all your fuel and then some.

If you can get in good with a few agents at LS, and not rely solely on the load board, you can do well. Most of the guys who do well over here run certain routes, and stick to them. We do a lot of military, but more of that is on the flatbed, dropdeck and RGN side.

Getting freight off the load board can be extremely frustrating if you are in an area with a high volume of drivers. By the time you dial your phone on a load, it's gone. One of the nice things about the online system, however, is you can see how many LS trucks are in the area, and how many are headed to that area.

Landstar is extremely ANAL about safety and logs. Your logs MUST match up to your fuel receipts and timestamped BOL's perfectly. You can get your lease terminated if you aren't logging properly.

The trailers here are very good. Landstar takes care of their equipment, and expects the same from you.

Like all companies, there is good and bad, but once you learn the system, you can do very well here. Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:34 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I didn't do much drop and hook with them, either. You are right about the agents, Rev. Who you haul for can make a lot of difference. If you plan on leasing on with Landstar you may want to buy your own trailer once you learn their system and see if you like working with them. You will make more money with your own trailer.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Rookie

Thanks again. I have a couple of friends that run for Landstar, they are happy and strongly encouraging me to take that direction. Most of the unknown is in the Schneider area. It may be my pre concieved notion that SNI is cheap that worries me. From what I have learned about the SNI system it is well laid out and very easy to use. SNI also pays for a few more things that Landstar and like Landstar offers discounts on parts and service. They are still paying HHG miles and those continue to drop as Rand tries to claim that roads are getting shorter. The second concern regarding SNI is the fact that they have almost 14,000 company trucks and when things pick back up they may decide that they can make more money by limiting the amount of frieght that appears on their load board for the IC choice program.

Now the up side to SNI, one location to choose loads, the ability to book 2,3 or 4 loads in advance, access to all of their OC's big company that should remain fairly stable (although everybody is subject to the current crunch) and the largest freight base in the nation. Both of the people I have actually spoken with are happy and are former BCO's that claim they would never go back. Both knock the company for slow maintenance and red tape but say it is worth the hassle. Both say that they are treated with respect and fairly.

I suspect that one could have fewer deadhead miles and more drop and hook at SNI and the cost for that opportunity is slightly lower rates. I guess it really boils down to just how much lower that income potential is.

Thanks again for all the input, keep any new thoughts coming.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Doncha just hate it when each company has just about the same number of pros/cons? So one day you argue yourself towards the one and the next day it's the other...sigh

It might boil down to just flipping a coin or picking the one with the better look (I don't like the SNI orange...I hate that stoopid star) :?

Good luck in your decision!!
Old 08-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Board Icon

The fact that you are doing research before making a decision gives you a huge leg up.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Board Regular

I spoke to a SNI recruiter about the choice program a couple of weeks ago. Seems Ok, but I don't have personal knowledge. I did have the recruiter take a screenshot of the available loads within 100 miles of my house. He e-mailed it to me within a couple of minutes so it couldn't have been fixed. The load board on that day had six pages of loads, The first two pages of freight were all over two dollars per mile (this was net not gross). The highest rate was over six dollars for a 99 mile load but it was mountains. Also keep in mind I live in Metro DC so freight tends to be a little higher than some other less hated parts of the country.