User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
We are very close to the oil bubble going blammo.... The Saudis know it and they are nervous. Watch what happens after the Olympics.... JMO
You know I was thinking the same thing about the Olympics, in that you could see China's economy fall. I read an article not long ago that said China was not in good shape. Might have been over at Bloomberg I think.

I agree with the thought that these oil guys really don't like to see these prices at this level. People have and will continue to change their habits, using less oil. Government subsidies are being taken away or lessened in China and India so that will have a negative effect on demand.

Here's where it gets good though guys................When these prices do collapse and they will, I will finally be able to put the foot back into my F-350!! :lol: :lol: Right now I stick my leg out pushing it like a skateboard.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Senior Board Member

I don't follow any of this too closely, but I don't know what the Saudis would be worried about. If somebody was paying you $8 a mile for a time, would you be nervous about the price dropping back down to $4? Bush and Cheney have been over there asking them to produce more, they seem to be quite content to leave a lot of their oil in the ground until just such a time as they are ready to convert it into cash.

OPEC produces a little over a third of world's oil supplies. We've got laws against monopolies in this country, but we've been perfectly content to allow Microsoft to maintain a worldwide monopoly with Windows. This is what I was looking at:

Quote:
OPEC's influence on the market has been negatively criticized. Several members of OPEC alarmed the world and triggered high inflation across both the developing and developed world when they used oil embargoes in the 1973 oil crisis. OPEC's ability to control the price of oil has diminished somewhat since then, due to the subsequent discovery and development of large oil reserves in the Gulf of Mexico and the North Sea, the opening up of Russia, and market modernization. OPEC nations still account for two-thirds of the world's oil reserves, and, as of March 2008, 35.6% of the world's oil production, affording them considerable control over the global market. The next largest group of producers, members of the OECD and the Post-Soviet states produced only 23.8% and 14.8%, respectively, of the world's total oil production.[5] As early as 2003, concerns that OPEC members had little excess pumping capacity sparked speculation that their influence on crude oil prices would begin to slip.[6][7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPEC
Old 06-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

When prices become too high then people's habits will change and alternative fuel sources will be sought and developed. This will provide competition for the market. We have alternative fuel sources, such as natural gas. The main problem is in distribution. We still don't have the distribution network in place. The U.S. has the largest natural gas reserves in the world. If we had the distribution in place we could tell these oil producing countries what to do with themselves. The U.S. is the largest user of oil in the world. What do you think would happen to oil prices if we made a commitment to establish a nationwide natural gas distribution system? Just the announcement would result in the price of oil dropping like a rock. The greatest fear these oil producing countries have is for a viable alternative to be developed or made available. Hydrogen is another viable option. Competition will result in prices dropping. You see what happens when there is no competition. All we need is distribution. Imagine what would happen to oil prices if we could distribute natural gas for $0.50/gallon? This could kill their business over night. The Saudi's and other major oil producing nations get their power and control prices because the not only control production, but also distribution. Before they got control of their own distribution oil was selling for $2/barrel.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:55 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

I know that Honda just came out witH a hydrogen/electric car just recently/ It emits zero emmisions but the biggest obstacle to its succes is the fueling sites, there are only about 5 in the entire L.A. area...

Rest of the country doesnt have any ..
Old 07-01-2008, 01:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh
I know that Honda just came out witH a hydrogen/electric car just recently/ It emits zero emmisions but the biggest obstacle to its succes is the fueling sites, there are only about 5 in the entire L.A. area...

Rest of the country doesnt have any ..
That, and nuke plants. The way I understand it, the hydrogen is only a medium. I forget how it all works, but it takes some other energy source to prepare the hydrogen. Perhaps Vassago or one of the other engineers will help us out.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Yes you're right, and it's not even that efficient. You only get about 40% of the energy back that you put in. Batteries are much better then that. The trick is hydrogen is ZERO emission, other then water vapour. But if you're using a dirty coal plant to make the hydrogen, you're going backwards not forwards.

I still think a good quality battery system is the way of the future. Mccain has it right, with his $300 million plan for a new battery.

Now we just need to build the nuke-u-lar plants to feed those batteries!
Old 07-01-2008, 06:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Batteries work great when it's nice and warm out and that car that travels 250 miles on a charge drops to 30 miles when the temp drops below freezing. Get up to New Hampshire and hop in your car after sitting at -10 and you won't back it out of your driveway.

I think it's going to take a miracle and one that's going to come from someone doing research on a new carbonation for a soft drink or something along those lines. A scientist at home watching the mason mixing cement then saying, DUH, it was right in front of me the whole time!!!

Some of the greatest inventions of all time have been an offshoot from something else or a mistake.

Years ago, helium was one of the most protected gases on the face of the planet and only the Navy had the rights to it. They allowed very little to the public and if you had a helium balloon you were very special.

One day a little girl had just come from a birthday party and stopped to visit her father who was a scientist in the lab. She had a helium balloon and it burst in the lab. Within a second, every electronic tube in the lab glowed very bright and burned out.

What came of that was that the scientists realized that the helium gas passed right through the quartz crystal glass surrounding the electronic tubes.

With this knowledge they knew that oil wells produce tons of helium gas that they let escape into the air. So, they put a little T connector with a quartz cover over it so the oil could not come out but the helium gas could and that's how that happened.

This is one of my all time favorite inventions.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Board Regular

One of the members at another forum made a hydrogen generator and installed it on his truck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siTBOVbEaa4

There's more videos and info about oil filters here http://cdlofit.ning.com/group/thinke...Topic%3A265892
Old 07-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Board Icon

I hate to break it to you, but hydrogen generators are snake oil.