View Poll Results: Can you flatbed successfully without using tarps?
No, man, you're doomed. 8 50.00%
Yes! Just find the right niche. 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Can you flatbed without tarping?

Call me weird - I don't like tarping. If you choose only the loads that don't require tarping, would it be possible to stay afloat? Or does "flatbed" automatically means "be ready to get dirty with a 130 lb tarp"? Can you specialize in loads that don't need tarping? I know Gman loves his sidekit... Any comments would be greatly appreciated... Currently pulling dry van and planning the next move...

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-21-2008, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member

You can pretty much forget about hauling steel. Especially in the winter.

I don't like tarping either but I like it when it pays well....say $150 for zero miles.

I always quote the rate without mentioning tarps. Then when the broker say it needs a tarp, I say that will be $150 extra. Lots of times (magically) it doesn't need tarps anymore. They just tell you to tarp because it doesn't cost them anything.

Would you spend an hour tarping for $150?
Old 02-21-2008, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Would you spend an hour tarping for $150?
rank, you make it sound so simple why, of course - if the load is small and lies low it wouldn't b too hard to tarp. my worst nightmare was tarping a 14.2" tall load of lumber in delaware, which had irregularly shaped and stacked bundles. after a trucker parked near me said the load looked too tall - i got my tape out and discovered he was right. i had erroneously thougth the shipper knew what he was doing but I was wrong. so i buttonholed the shipper and he moved the load around to make it legal. he succeeded but i had to take my tarp off and then put it back on. it required two 30 ft tarps. took me probably six hours (!) since i still had little experience tarping A guy who works for the same carrier I do leases a stepdeck and he says he doesn't have to do as much tarping as with a flatbed. Maybe a stepdeck IS better in this regard?

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you pull a flat bed you will likely tarp at least 50+% of your loads. Unless you are willing to tarp, I would stay away from a step deck or flat bed. Most people don't care for tarping, but it is some exercise. We don't get much exercise when we drive a truck. After you gain some experience, it won't be too bad. I have known some flat bed drivers who actually enjoy tarping. Unless you are willing to tarp, you will lose some good paying loads and do a lot of sitting.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
If you pull a flat bed you will likely tarp at least 50+% of your loads. Unless you are willing to tarp, I would stay away from a step deck or flat bed. Most people don't care for tarping, but it is some exercise. We don't get much exercise when we drive a truck. After you gain some experience, it won't be too bad. I have known some flat bed drivers who actually enjoy tarping. Unless you are willing to tarp, you will lose some good paying loads and do a lot of sitting.
GMAN is teling you the way it is !!!! I hate tarping but I had a side kit and that wasn't bad ??? But when I put the kit up it stayed up for at least 3 loads and when it went down it stayed down for a few as well !!! After you get some experience it will be easier. All that tall stuff usually doesn't pay that well anyway (lumber and Insulation) . Most of the higher dollar tarp stuff would fit in my side kit !!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 AM
Default Tarping

These guys are right. If you want to stay moving expect to tarp at least 50% of the time.I hate it too, but after awhile you gain the experience to do it kinda' quickly and right. I guarantee you'll learn something everytime you tarp. About the only thing I shy away from is open machinery (ok guys, let cyber spanking begin), this stuff will almost always give you fits.
Just get ready for "I don't know why they make you tarp this stuff", or you untarp and they set the freight in the mud. Go figure. :shock:
Old 02-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Tarping

Quote:
Originally Posted by klleetrucking
Just get ready for "I don't know why they make you tarp this stuff", or you untarp and they set the freight in the mud. Go figure. :shock:
I hauled aluminum logs a couple of times in the summer and of course the shipper in Brampton, ONT wanted them tarped. When I was unloaded at this place somewhere in Pennsylvania, the receiver put all logs .... onto the ground. There were tons of logs all sitting under the open sky. When I asked him what the deal was with making drivers tarp, the guy was honest: "Well, technically you don't need to tarp them in the summer. You only have to do it in winter when there's salt on the road. But if we tell you to tarp only in winter - you guys are going to carry them without tarps year round. So, we tell the shipper to have them tarped!"

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-23-2008, 07:01 AM
Default Re: Tarping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by klleetrucking
I hauled aluminum logs a couple of times in the summer and of course the shipper in Brampton, ONT wanted them tarped. When I was unloaded at this place somewhere in Pennsylvania, the receiver put all logs .... onto the ground. There were tons of logs all sitting under the open sky. When I asked him what the deal was with making drivers tarp, the guy was honest: "Well, technically you don't need to tarp them in the summer. You only have to do it in winter when there's salt on the road. But if we tell you to tarp only in winter - you guys are going to carry them without tarps year round. So, we tell the shipper to have them tarped!"
I've heard this same story before on Aluminum !!!!
Old 02-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I always tell a shipper or broker that it will cost them extra for tarping. When you add services, you need to expect to pay more. I find it interesting when I tell them about the extra tarp charge that it can sometimes suddenly NOT really need to be tarped. :roll: On the other hand, there are legitimate reasons why some loads need to be tarped. I have known owner operators who refuse to take any load that needs to be tarped. If you don't want to deal with the tarping, then I suggest you check into pulling vans or buy a flat with a curtain-side, Conestoga or similar tarping system. Those will add about $17,000 to the price of your trailer. You can haul almost anything with a Conestoga. You may also want to check into side kits. They run from about $1,800-3,600. The lightweight kits are more expensive than the plywood kits. You will usually need to break down part of one side to load and unload. A side kit is more versatile than other types of tarping systems. And then there is also the difference in purchase price.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:34 PM

Tarp or no tarp can also depend on the broker. Last week I hauled a load of drive bogeys for the railroad from MT to MI. My load was from Landstar and they said no tarp. There was another truck there who got his load from a different broker (can't remember who now) that required a full tarp. Needless to say he was pretty pissed when he saw me pull in, load, chain, and go all while he was still there tarping his load of the same items.