User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default HELP!!! WIFE'S FEELINGS ARE HURT (POST NUPTIAL AGREEMENT)

First of all I am a happily married man of 15 years! But I am on the mentality that life can throw you a curve ball. Just because we are happy now does not mean that 10 years down the road something can not and will not change.

As some might already know, in January of 2008 I plan to retire from my current job and return to trucking.

I explained to my wife that I wanted a post-nuptial to protect one (1) truck and one (1) trailer in the event that something might happen to our relationship over time!

I explained to her that the post-nuptial will only protect the one truck & trailer NOT any other assets that we may obtain over time to include: any monetary assets, additional units, land, buildings or etcs. Just one truck & trailer of my choice!

She has her masters degree in reading and is currently a literacy coach
for the local school district. She is also in the process of getting her principal degree! She has been in the education field for the past 15 years and is very passionate about her career!

In other words she has a career to fall back on!!! And I am just trying to protect my livelihood!!

Am I wrong! Am I being insensitive! She feels that marriages shouldn't have those types of agreements between!

Keep in mind I do love my wife very very much and I plan to grow old with her, but business is business!!

Honest opinions are very welcome and may I please here from some women, because I know men and women think different!!

Thanks in advance!!!

"Big Red One" , 3rd ID, 82nd Airborne, Recondo, Jumpmaster, & Drill Sergeant

OOIDA
Old 12-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: HELP!!! WIFE'S FEELING HURT (POST NUPTIAL AGREEMENT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigrider
First of all I am a happily married man of 15 years! But I am on the mentality that life can throw you a curve ball. Just because we are happy now does not mean that 10 years down the road something can not and will not change.

As some might already know, in January of 2008 I plan to retire from my current job and return to trucking.

I explained to my wife that I wanted a post-nuptial to protect one (1) truck and one (1) trailer in the event that something might happen to our relationship over time!

I explained to her that the post-nuptial will only protect the one truck & trailer NOT any other assets that we may obtain over time to include: any monetary assets, additional units, land, buildings or etcs. Just one truck & trailer of my choice!

She has her masters degree in reading and is currently a literacy coach
for the local school district. She is also in the process of getting her principal degree! She has been in the education field for the past 15 years and is very passionate about her career!

In other words she has a career to fall back on!!! And I am just trying to protect my livelihood!!

Am I wrong! Am I being insensitive! She feels that marriages shouldn't have those types of agreements between!

Keep in mind I do love my wife very very much and I plan to grow old with her, but business is business!!

Honest opinions are very welcome and may I please here from some women, because I know men and women think different!!

Thanks in advance!!!

my opinion, if she didnt care about taking the truck if things dont work out, then she would sign it. I think she wants to keep her options open in case you do her wrong
Old 12-02-2007, 07:08 PM

No, she said that she will sign it, but she says that she does not want to have anything to do with it! It started out as our adventure! And that it makes her feel that she is not a part!

And my thing is I just want to protect one truck and trailer!

My things is am I wrong! I am man enough to make a U turn when I am wrong!!

OOIDA
Old 12-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
No, she said that she will sign it, but she says that she does not want to have anything to do with it! It started out as our adventure! And that it makes her feel that she is not a part!

if she has a part in helping you get the truck and helping you make a success of it, then she deserves part of it if you split. HOWEVER, if you aready
have it and are successful before marrying her, then it's yours alone
Paul McCartney once said to Howard Stern.. "I dont need a pre-nup, I believe in love"
Old 12-02-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:

if she has a part in helping you get the truck and helping you make a success of it, then she deserves part of it if you split. HOWEVER, if you aready
have it and are successful before marrying her, then it's yours alone
Paul McCartney once said to Howard Stern.. "I dont need a pre-nup, I believe in love"
Yeah and look at what happened to Paul McCartney! If Paul was to re-marry now he wouldn't say that! And in most divorces, there was LOVE somewhere before it got to that point!

I do not care about her having half if something happens I am just trying to protect 1 truck & trailer that's all!! Nothing more and nothing less!

OOIDA
Old 12-02-2007, 08:01 PM

Without a post-nuptial, a judge will side with you anyway. You give the ex the house, savings, better car; and agree to pay child support and alimony. The judge allows you to keep the truck and trailer payments. Been there, done that.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Board Regular

Everything you aquire as a married couple should be split in a divorce....yes you are being insensitive
Old 12-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I doubt if any court would take away your means to earn a living. Personally, I think that you are going to have some problems in your relationship if you pursue the post nuptial agreement. In fact, I doubt if it would be enforceable in most states, anyway. She probably feels that you have plans to split. That is what I would think. There are other ways to protect assets should something happen. If you are that concerned, you could always lease to own a truck. I am not talking about leasing something from a carrier to whom you may lease, but from a legitimate equipment leasing company. You can lease some equipment for up to 5 years. From your post I think you may suspect things are not as good in the relationship as would make you comfortable, whether that is coming from you or your wife.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:23 PM

Believe it or not everything is good, matter of fact very good, but I have seen to many times where it is good or you think that it is good and some where alone the line something happens! I know people who have gotten a divorce after 20, 30 or even 40 years of marriage!

Maybe I do need to re-think this!

I am just a realist an I except life for what it is!!

Well she just walked past me with no affection or even a smile. (Smiling)

OOIDA
Old 12-02-2007, 08:59 PM

I can't really comment on your situation but if I asked my wife that question she would be deeply hurt and then I would feel like a heel.

If I was going to get another line of work going I would need allot of help, if not physical or mental help at least moral support and if she knew that I didn't trust our marriage to stay together it wouldn't even be right to expect any help.

Re-think it.

Mike