User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

My rep?????OMG ...they already think im a loser nobody with only 1 truck...hows it get worse?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I would say the biggest risk in taking a cheap load, is then taking another cheap load, then taking another cheap load, then taking another cheap load and so on until you realize, I'm out of business. How did this happen? Sunny at CHR kept my wheels turning! How did I go broke?

Well your revenue was $1.13 per mile and your cost was $1.70 per mile, so your profit was= negative $ .57 per mile.

Who cares about your reputation when you are a has been??
Old 11-27-2007, 01:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
My rep?????OMG ...they already think im a loser nobody with only 1 truck...hows it get worse?
Hey Pepe you know what they say, fake it til you make it. Hell half the time when I'm talking with these people I always refer to the driver as if he's an employee of mine. Actually most of the time they assume it and I just keep on going right along with them.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:20 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Pepe, I have spoken with a number of brokers who would rather deal with a single truck operator than a large carrier. They know that most are more reliable than the large carriers and will do what they say. Unless you tell them that you are the owner, driver, chief cook and bottle washer, they are not likely to know. They could look you up and find out, but I find it isn't that important for most of them. You need to stop putting yourself down. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with being a one man operation. I would wager that there are more single truck operations than multi truck. By the way, you mentioned previously that you were thinking about leasing on to Landstar. Is that still something you are considering or do you plan on continue running your authority?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Pepe, I have spoken with a number of brokers who would rather deal with a single truck operator than a large carrier. They know that most are more reliable than the large carriers and will do what they say. Unless you tell them that you are the owner, driver, chief cook and bottle washer, they are not likely to know. They could look you up and find out, but I find it isn't that important for most of them. You need to stop putting yourself down. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with being a one man operation. I would wager that there are more single truck operations than multi truck. By the way, you mentioned previously that you were thinking about leasing on to Landstar. Is that still something you are considering or do you plan on continue running your authority?
They had a great program on Talk of The Nation on NPR today on wealth. I missed the very beginning but it was on how or when do we consider ourselves wealthy.

They had one guy call in or was just finishing med school and made the comment that there are Family Practice doctors who could treat 50 people a day all of them of much lower means and yet the doctor will compare himself with the cadiologist down the road and feel not as wealthy.

They even mentioned one guy who had a yacht but he was standing on the dock looking at the much bigger yachts and feeling like his yacht was inconsequential.

I guess in the same vein, there are many many people I've met in my short time out here who would love to be in Pepe's shoes. But I guess it's just human nature I guess to never be content with what we have; really in a way that's good cause if we were content with what we had we wouldn't strive to be better.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:07 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Quote:
He-he will finishing out the year with my own authority for sure....my tags and permits are paid for till the end of the year then might just take off a couple months to see the wife in Asia....n worry bout it when I get back.

Wel my insurance is paid off till March, but may lease to get them to buy me some new plates and permits to run on...not sure right now :-p

Landstar wanted a full year of recent Exp (others I contacted 6 mos was ok)...n even tho I have almost 10 yrs with USX as a driver/trainer, its not recent so they think I cant drive I quess :-p (Ins. issues I know)
Old 11-27-2007, 05:20 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
Who are you, exactly?
Well, If I can quit laughing long enough....

I drive a truck.
I want to see fewer drivers run cheap.

Otherwise, I'm nobody.

(smilies don't work?)
Old 11-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Who are you, exactly?
Allan- dont ever ask a man that question. He may give you an alias. Sit back and observe him for awhile and you will soon know who he is. A somebody or a nobody. Just sit back and watch. He's definitely not Number 1.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Quote:
They had a great program on Talk of The Nation on NPR today on wealth. I missed the very beginning but it was on how or when do we consider ourselves wealthy.

They had one guy call in or was just finishing med school and made the comment that there are Family Practice doctors who could treat 50 people a day all of them of much lower means and yet the doctor will compare himself with the cadiologist down the road and feel not as wealthy.

They even mentioned one guy who had a yacht but he was standing on the dock looking at the much bigger yachts and feeling like his yacht was inconsequential.

I guess in the same vein, there are many many people I've met in my short time out here who would love to be in Pepe's shoes. But I guess it's just human nature I guess to never be content with what we have; really in a way that's good cause if we were content with what we had we wouldn't strive to be better.

That sounds like it was a good program. There is something to be said for not being satisfied with what we have, however there comes a time when we need to be content, especially with ourselves. It can mess with our psyche to continually put ourselves down. I don't think it helps ourselves to constantly be envious of what others have that we don't. I think most of those people have other issues or a void in their lives that they are trying to fill with "things." It is easier to be content with what we have when we are content with ourselves.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2
Quote:
Who are you, exactly?
Well, If I can quit laughing long enough....

I drive a truck.
I want to see fewer drivers run cheap.
For a driver, what's cheap? :wink: