User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I dunno Tootie, every time I hear from you guys your in a hotel. Your like gentlemen truckers.

Got my IFTA done and mailed and it wasn't as bad this time using that technique I mentioned above.

I just got a notification that the Feds passed a law that allows anyone with an APU to be able to carry 400 pounds more over the max. It's up to the states whether they want to adopt the new weight but it looks like most are going ahead with it. Since I got my Rigmaster I can't scale 48,000 unless my tanks are only 1/2 full so this will save me.

I spent the rest of the day putting new mud flaps on my trailer. What a pain as usual. Torches, hack saws, drills and fighting off the bees. In New England right before the winter the bees get very aggressive like they want to die in battle instead of freezing to death.

I'm so freaking sore. Not sure if that's from working today or the Flu shot I got yesterday.

So I'm working on my trailer and the DOT pulls into the lot and comes over to my truck. The guy gets out and it's a guy I know who works part time driving a truck who I've become friends with. I start bitching at him like, "YOUR A FREAKING COP!!!!!" He says, what did you want me to do, say Hi, I'm Mike, want to be friends, by the way, I'm a DOT cop.

So, I think I'm all set to head out next week but usually nothing much happens on Monday. I had my drive tires checked and they are still good to go so I'll try another 6,000 mile trip and see how it goes.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:22 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
I did a little better on mileage this quarter and maybe due to the Rigmaster and not idling so much, not sure.
The idling will make a difference, there is no doubt about that. Easily $25 and 6 gallons in the winter. That can drop you 1 mpg I'd guess.

I understand how you use Streets and Trips for IFTA, but how do you get from there to something you can share with others for their IFTA? I'm real curious because I'd like to ditch my service.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:35 AM

Good to see Part 3 started Steve
I was wondering what was going on there. Seemed page 153 stayed blank too long.
Scoe seemed pretty cool about it. That's good.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:26 AM

[quote="rank"]
Quote:
I understand how you use Streets and Trips for IFTA, but how do you get from there to something you can share with others for their IFTA? I'm real curious because I'd like to ditch my service.
I saved the instructions to a text file and now all I have to do is write a program that reads every line. If the text of the line does not contain the word "Entering" then I ignore it. If it does, then I save it to a storage area in memory called an array.

Now I have an area in memory that looks like this.

100 Entering Massachusetts
200 Entering Pennsylvania
300 Entering Ohio
400 Entering Indiana
500 Entering Ohio
600 Entering Pennsylvania
700 Entering Massachusetts
800 Arrive New Hampshire

I would have to enter into the program the state that I was starting from and in the case above, that would be New Hampshire.

So now I run through my memory array and read the first line then subtract that from the previous line and now I have the mileage for that state. In the case of the first line it would be 100 miles for New Hampshire then 100 miles for for Mass then 100 miles for PA and so on. As I encountered another state that I've already run across I would just add that to my running total.

When I was done I would output an ascii file that looked like this. It is know ahead of time that each location between commas represents a certain state like AL,AK,AZ,

,,,200,,300,100,,,500,,,,,,,,,,,600,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This is what is referred to as a coma separated file that can be imported to a spreadsheet as data. There are already tons of spreadsheets out there for IFTA that are free to download.

Just stopping here would be the biggest savings in time for me knowing the mileage for all the states. I could sort and output the data like this

AL
AR
AK
VT 200
MO
MA 200
OH 300
KY
NV

I've already done a little looking and found some states post an updated spreadsheet for IFTA for their state. The data that I extracted above could be imported to the spreadsheet then the only thing would be to enter the gallons purchased and the states and it would be done.

I'll do a little looking but will probably stop at just extracting a mileage total for all the states. That's my biggest pain trying to figure out all the states and miles.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:37 AM

You are way ahead of me on this, but I am hindered with a analog mind in a digital world. Just poking, makes sense to me. Give you something to work on while you sit in a snow drift, takin you're break in North Dakota.

DOS forever. or assembly???????????
Old 10-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Hmm. That seems like more work for me. With our current system, we have driver write down his odometer reading on the trip sheet as he enters each state. In mapping software setup, I would have the additional step of mapping each trip to calculate the mileage.

Why don't you write down the odometer reading as you cross the states lines?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:05 PM

It would be easy if I wrote down the mileage as I crossed over into other states but I don't. I do a lot of my driving at night and most of the time I don't pay much attention to what state I'm in. With the GPS, all I know is I have 487 miles before my next turn.

Knowing the mileage for the states was the biggest chunk of work I had to do and now it's become very simple using that Streets and Maps program. I still have to go through all the fuel and calculations.

I just discovered those little Kraft EasyMac meals and they taste great. It's just amazing what they can do with chemicals today. Pretty much no nutritional value at all in this meal but it tastes pretty good.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Board Regular

On some trucks,mine included,writing the odometer down will add more miles to the ifta than what I actually drove since my odometer rolls faster than it should. For example exact mileage from Rockwall,TX to AR. state line is 155 miles but for some reason my odometer will read 175 miles. :?
Should I have it looked at?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
On some trucks,mine included,writing the odometer down will add more miles to the ifta than what I actually drove since my odometer rolls faster than it should. For example exact mileage from Rockwall,TX to AR. state line is 155 miles but for some reason my odometer will read 175 miles. :?
That's a lot to be off and I can think of many reasons not getting it fixed could cause you problems. Just proving to DOT that you've been where you said you've been.

That's a 13% error which would result in being off 390 miles from New Hampshire to California.

Your speedometer may be off also??
Old 10-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD60
Interesting.

I'm driving an International 9400 that I'm 99% sure registers 2 mph faster than actual speed. (making the odometer off too)

I've wondered if it came factory with taller tires and had 22.5 lopro's put on later.

Would that even make that much difference?
Closed Thread