User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Help with Truck Specs

I would like to get everyone’s thoughts/opinions in reference to truck specs. I apologize now if this gets to be a bit lengthy; however it is necessary to cover all the bases.

Now for the parameters:

Operating Area: NJ to TX to IL back to NJ.

Type of Work: Yanking a tank.

Truck Requirements: The goal here is to spec a truck capable of doing the job well, with reasonable comfort, while minimizing operating expenses. I want to look at initial purchase price, engine size and make, fuel economy, tranny, final drive ratios, wheel base, tire size, tare weight and maintenance/repair costs.

I realize the first two criteria of the initial statement (Truck Requirements) are a bit ambiguous; however that is why I am asking for everyone’s input. I realize what is comfortable for one may well be intolerable for another. While some may be happy crawling up a steep grade with a load, others prefer to haul a$$ to the top. All things being equal, everything is a compromise of one type or another.

That being said, I (like most) am looking for the biggest bang for the buck. I am looking to find the best equipment for the job, while minimizing operational expenses. I have started my search, and thanks to this board, I have learned a lot to bring myself back up to date with more recent changes in equipment. I have a projected target date of JAN 08 to find and purchase a truck, so I have plenty of time to search and compare various configurations and what should be a reasonable price.

Disclaimer: It is not my intent to stir up a hornets nest here. I am interested in what each person feels is important and best suits the given situation.

Thanks to everyone in advance for your thoughts and input.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

For me go with a 13 speed trans around 450 hp and 3.55 rears. Set those on super singles and gear it for 1400 rpm at 65mph in 13th. Also since you will be heavy with the tanker forget the drum brakes go with disks will save you weight and also some of the larger tanker fleets like Air Gas are going to them and LOVE them less fade out. Truck manufactor what ever floats your boat. Same on the engine trans and rear ends. Consider an APU to save fuel from idle time costs and the new anti idleing laws.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
For me go with a 13 speed trans around 450 hp and 3.55 rears. Set those on super singles and gear it for 1400 rpm at 65mph in 13th. Also since you will be heavy with the tanker forget the drum brakes go with disks will save you weight and also some of the larger tanker fleets like Air Gas are going to them and LOVE them less fade out. Truck manufacture what ever floats your boat. Same on the engine trans and rear ends. Consider an APU to save fuel from idle time costs and the new anti idleing laws.
Great Post, I agree completely.

In spite of my W9, You should strongly consider an "Aero" type truck. I hear they get better MPG. Also yanking a tank, as bad as it might be, I would advise a flat top or mid-rise sleeper so you are not pushing as much air outta the way for no reason.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
For me go with a 13 speed trans around 450 hp and 3.55 rears. Set those on super singles and gear it for 1400 rpm at 65mph in 13th. Also since you will be heavy with the tanker forget the drum brakes go with disks will save you weight and also some of the larger tanker fleets like Air Gas are going to them and LOVE them less fade out. Truck manufactor what ever floats your boat. Same on the engine trans and rear ends. Consider an APU to save fuel from idle time costs and the new anti idleing laws.
Ironeagle,

Thanks for your reply. That is the direction I was headed in for hp and tranny. I had not considered disk brakes over drum, but that is an excellent thought. As for truck manufacturer, in the past I seemed to find excellent deals on Volvos. They were not popular the last time I bought a truck and good deals were relatively easy to find.

Be careful and stay safe.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:00 AM

Marylandkw wrote

In spite of my W9, You should strongly consider an "Aero" type truck. I hear they get better MPG. Also yanking a tank, as bad as it might be, I would advise a flat top or mid-rise sleeper so you are not pushing as much air outta the way for no reason.

Marylandkw,

Thank you for your reply. With fuel prices what they are, fuel economy is a concern. I was looking for a flat top, but they seem to be a bit on the scarce side. I like the mid-roof for the extra room and it helps push the air over the top of the tank.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

T600 KW
mid rise bunk
410hp N14 Cummins
15 speed trans
3.90 rear gear
24" rims

Have a 1995 spec'd like this and it is my favourite. Out pulls a lazy 475 Cat with 3.7 rear gear and 22.5" rims. Stayed even a 500 DD with 3.7 rear and 22.5" rims. Gets better mileage too. All with 1 million on the rebuild.

I like the 15 because I've had to rebuild/replace 13's and 18's but never a 15. The think the splitter is the weak link.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
T600 KW
mid rise bunk
410hp N14 Cummins
15 speed trans
3.90 rear gear
24" rims

Have a 1995 spec'd like this and it is my favourite. Out pulls a lazy 475 Cat with 3.7 rear gear and 22.5" rims. Stayed even a 500 DD with 3.7 rear and 22.5" rims. Gets better mileage too. All with 1 million on the rebuild.

I like the 15 because I've had to rebuild/replace 13's and 18's but never a 15. The think the splitter is the weak link.
Rank,

Thank you for your reply.

T600KW is a nice truck.
N14 Cummins great engine. Shame they are no longer made.
15 Speed tranny. Good option with 3.90 rears. I have no experience with a 15 spd, but I am not so old that I can not learn.
24" rims I prefer taller rubber.

I have been checking the truckpaper and other places and I haven't seen any 15 speeds. It even seems that the 13 is getting rare.

Thanks again!

Old 09-06-2007, 01:58 AM
Board Regular

Check out the Volvo VN430 or the 610 ( more spacious in the back ). The Freightliner Columbia flattop seems to be quite popular with a lot of companies hauling tanks in this part of the world. Never driven one, but it's not as expensive as a Volvo. You wouldn't want something which is too high, as hauling a tank you're going to have to go to places where there isn't much room at the top either while loading or unloading. I would prefer an 18-speed, but that's just me....that's what I drive, and I haul a bulker. Also, try to not go for something with a long wheelbase. Another reason that I find the above two brands very practical, especially for hauling bulk, is that when you want to back in, there isn't any stack blocking your field of vision, which I find to be of a great help. The company that I work for has Volvos and T800s....the latter is also an ideal truck for the purpose, except for the fact that it's stack creates a problem for me, which is why I preferred the Volvo when I was given a choice.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard
I have no experience with a 15 spd, but I am not so old that I can not learn.
15 speed is little more than a 10 speed with a deep reduction gear in low range. Since the deep reduction gear ratios and the low ratios overlap, you only have 12 useable ratios, provided you even use the Deep Reduction at all. Depending on the weight of your loads, you might be able to get away with shifting it as a 10 speed most of the time. 8)
Old 09-06-2007, 02:11 AM
Senior Board Member

>I have no experience with a 15 spd, but I am not so old that I can not learn.
As a driver I prefer the ability to split, but that is minor compared to (my perception) that the 15 is more durable. With the 15, every shift is a lever shift. No biggie.

The 15 is just basically a 10 with some super deep reduction gears, but there are only 12 progressive shifts: 1-2-3-4-5-9-10-11-12-13-14-15.

If you don't use the deep reduction, it's a 10 speed.