User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2014, 04:05 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well it's not so black and white as I'm sure you know. I'm sure, well I know, people weren't expecting the economy to tank when it did. You could add trucks today and then we hit a roadblock of some sorts, whether it be a downturn in the economy or some new regulation. Sometimes you just have to wing it I guess.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

All indications are that we are heading for another downturn in the economy. The economy is still sick. But, rates and freight are up. I would not to take on a lot of debt at this point. This is a time to put back as much money as possible. That and low debt is how I was able to survive the last crash. Those of us who managed to survive had little or no debt and money put back to keep us going. It was still rough going. But, the important thing to remember is if we prepare we can survive about anything.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:24 AM
Senior Board Member

You are right Gman, if I had the capital I've managed to obtain in the last few years when everything tanked, I'd be loaded now. Real estate is back up, way up in Florida again. Not bubble size but there are no deals now. It's a seller's market. I feel somewhat insulated as we haul reefers and people need to eat. One of our biggest customers is a major supermarket. Like I said they need to eat.

It's weird I said yesterday I feel like I'm at the beginning of my journey and I'm not sure where it's going, well today, and it's kind of confusing how it came to be, but I had this lady from Central America come in. This woman knew the produce business from the farm all the way up to the final destination. I mean she really KNEW it. I've had people try and sell themselves as consultants bragging how much they knew etc, she was just talking and talking and she knew it so well that it was like breathing for her. I learned more in those couple of hours then I have learned at all the port meetings we attend. One thing that struck me was she said the farmers don't make anything, the people who make the most are the shipping lines and the cardboard box suppliers.

But she explained how the receivers make more money when there is "damaged or rejected" freight and how they manage to make it more profitable. She knew so much, I'm tempted to get into the produce business. I've always dreamed of buying and selling and transporting my own freight. We approached a few customers that we deliver to and asked if they would be interested if we could quote them on some of the produce and they were interested.

So who knows now. One thing is her English was bad so we had to switch to Spanish a bit and I had to translate for the other person I had in the room. You just never know in life. Where I was from was almost all White, no Latinos at all. If there were they didn't announce it. And I was curious and just learned it and I took a lot of flak from my friends for learning or talking with the Latinos when they started moving in in the 90's. Who knew there would be so much of them now and now I'm completely fluent. You just never know in life.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Things do happen for a reason. This country is in serious trouble, I think more than most realize. I expect to see some major changes in this country during the next year or so, even more than we have already seen.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Senior Board Member

If I ever move to Florida, I'm gonna have to stop by and fill out an application
Old 05-15-2014, 11:32 PM
Senior Board Member

I can't believe you stay up there Man I hated the cold. Never liked it even though I never knew better. All I miss is D'Anglelos and other than that I never need to go back. There's a Friendlys right up the road but never went. Reeses Pieces Sunday just isn't the same as when you are a kid you know?
Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 AM
Rookie

merrick, I'm in the Container Business and right now, Intermodal is what's booming. CSX open a brand new terminal in Winter Haven and a lot of loads are coming out of the rail yards. A lot! Something you should definitely should go after.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Oh they finally opened that up in Winter Haven! I didn't even know they got started on that yet. I thought it was on hold. I had a house in Winter Haven so I got to know the area somewhat. I didn't live there just invested.

Are you leased on to someone? Are there long waits at the terminals? For me, coming from up North and use to unions (I wasn't in any but just the concept was always around) I have a feeling the Cubans are running things in Miami, though there are a lot of Israelis and Colombians and I get along great with both of them. My main dispatcher even speaks Hebrew, I speak Spanish and I have two Brasilians in the office too. All bases covered here.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:55 AM
Senior Board Member

I got a certified letter today from the adjusters on the stolen cargo. I have refused to cooperate. Apparently the broker is now only seeking $100,000 and not the full value of the load. (I called the adjuster) According to him they can sue me for the excess cargo value. I have to see the bill of lading tomorrow. I am learning all about the Carmack Amendment. I don't know, I am going to hire that attorney in Wisconsin to advise me. He already asked me a bunch of questions (like who owned the freight) whereas the insurance company lawyer said nothing but I'm liable. I still think they had no business putting cargo on my truck well in excess of my insurance.

I'm curious what would happened if I just refused to cooperate. I guess the broker could sue me. I don't know I'll wait until I hear what the lawyer says.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Senior Board Member

The Law Office of Seaton & Husk, LP is law firm in VA that a lot of O/O use. This guy really know his stuff. His name is Henry Seaton.

Even if you use your guy, read the info on Henry's website. It is amazing how many ways a carrier can get screwed by the language in broker contracts. There are also ways to turn the tables in your favor too.

Tags
read