User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Can you pull out of any Quarry, thereby lowering your deadhead?
Sounds like someone could start at the quarry's and try to network into something like you have. 260 on fuel for a 3000.00 week must make you smile.

I thought 61 an hour sounded cheap to run a truck on. Heck I get 85 an hour to plow snow with my work truck and am debating whether or not it's worth it.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Also, me and my friend are going to Ritchie Bros up in Northeast, MD to take a look around. Have you had any experience with RB auctions. I drove up last Saturday but they were closed, I could see a line of dump trucks, at least twenty.
What are some things to look for on used dumps as far as wear and tear?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Most quarries are gonna want you to sign on full time. If you go part time you will be last in line for loads and could end up sitting a fair amount. I would suggest going full time and seeing what happens in a year or two. Unfortunately he will have a few tough years before things really settle down and he finds his niche.

Don't know too much about ritche bros, I always buy new trucks. So many things too look for on a used dump truck. I would leave that answer up to those here who know more than I, like splitshifter.

You could start by looking at the suspension and brakes. Any cracks in the welds on the body would be a huge red flag for me. You need to actually sit in the truck and make sure you would be comfortable in that cab for 16 hours a day. I believe anymore in Maryland you really need to buy a tri-axle dump to be competitive. Tandems are on a phase out rule whereas some are allowed 55k gross and some older ones are 65k. the 65k gross ones are being phased out rather rapidly and you could incur some significant costs in a few years in order to upgrade to a tri-axle(assuming it has enough frame). If you had a choice get a steerable lift axle as I have experienced significantly longer tire life out of a steerable lift than a non-steerable one.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Are some quarry's more reputable than others? How do pay? by the mile or weight?

I'm kinda getting interested in this myself now, this could be dangerous :lol:

Overall do you think there are to many trucks now and what's your overall take on the business? good, bad, ugly.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC
Are some quarry's more reputable than others? How do pay? by the mile or weight?

I'm kinda getting interested in this myself now, this could be dangerous :lol:

Overall do you think there are to many trucks now and what's your overall take on the business? good, bad, ugly.
Dangerous is right.

Most all of the quarries are very reputable big business. They all pay by the loaded ton and on average most of their per ton rates are based on about $60 or so dollars an hour. But if you get caught in traffic you make even less. Don't get me wrong, there are alot of guys who go out and buy a new truck and make the payments and tuck a little bit away for themselves working out of the quarries. But are you prepared for 14-16 hour days in Maryland traffic? Six days a week? Can you begin to imagine the 2 hours of paperwork most every night after working 16 hours? 400-500 miles a day?

Right now I think the market is heavy with trucks but there is still some room for more. But I fear with building slowing down so much, it might affect Dump Trucking very dramatically this coming winter.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
But are you prepared for 14-16 hour days in Maryland traffic? Six days a week? Can you begin to imagine the 2 hours of paperwork most every night after working 16 hours? 400-500 miles a day?
No, that doesn't good for me. Paperwork I'm already used to with my business now, but not after 16 hours in MD traffic.

Thanks for all your help MDKW, if I have any more questions I know where to come.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:24 AM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Check out dirthaulers.net if you haven't already..

I dunno about your area but its slow as shhhhh right now in CA. I personally do not see anything changing/picking up until the housing market does. I just sold my transfer and won't be buying another anytime soon.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Well really dont know anything about western PA i think they haul alot of coal around the summerset area. Floored sorry to hear you had to sell your truck. Dump truckin is hard to make it in. As far as hauling hot rock for 61/hr that is a joke. My oldman is doing good ell around philly pa getting 75/hr for a tri axle with out a problem.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
Well really dont know anything about western PA i think they haul alot of coal around the summerset area. Floored sorry to hear you had to sell your truck. Dump truckin is hard to make it in. As far as hauling hot rock for 61/hr that is a joke. My oldman is doing good ell around philly pa getting 75/hr for a tri axle with out a problem.
I figured you would have forgotten everything about dump trucks now that you are a seaman. Or at least tried too forget it all.

That company that pays 61hr bills at 75hr. I have never understood why companies need to make that much profit for doing nothing. Sure a few bucks for paperwork but 14 bucks an hour? Plus they charge an hour of travel time and keep that too. And then they have truckers knocking their doors down to work for them? I will never understand it.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Senior Board Member

well maryland am off the boats already i didnt like it at all.
All they do is cut the rates for everyone i hate them basterds. Ever hear of Levrei trucking of vineland NJ i dont know if they run in MD but they do it all the time here in PA cut the rates

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug