User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice View Post
glad that you enjoyed the thread.....so have you decided on what you and your wife will do?
We are still looking at companies that we can sign on with. We have spoken to a few. Right now it looks like it will probably be the pumpkin (Schneider)trucks. They seem to be the most willing to work with us in our situation. I think we're going to have the wife go through TDS, and pay for it ourselves, then try and get reimbursed from what ever company we sign with. We will probably go to Sage based on everyone's experience here with them. Still have not decided if we're going to do O/O or co driver, thinking of maybe signing on as co drivers for 6 months or so to make sure this is what the wife really wants to do and then make the move over to O/O. Would hate to have a truck payment looming over us and she not like it. I have also heard from several driver I know that things have started slowing down and rates are dropping a bit. One told me he just hauled his first load of Christmas freight last week. He said it's about a month and a half later than he usually picks that stuff up. But I have a back ground in flat bed, drove the green truck with yellow stripes before Schneider bought them out. So we leaning towards flat instead of van. Still doing our research. May end up holding off until after the first of the year to pull the trigger and see how things are going then. Again we can't say thank you enough to every one that posted on here, we have gained so much inside on how things are, I have to say I was addicted to the thread and reading what was going to happen to everyone next lol.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnCj View Post
We are still looking at companies that we can sign on with. We have spoken to a few. Right now it looks like it will probably be the pumpkin (Schneider)trucks. They seem to be the most willing to work with us in our situation. I think we're going to have the wife go through TDS, and pay for it ourselves, then try and get reimbursed from what ever company we sign with. We will probably go to Sage based on everyone's experience here with them. Still have not decided if we're going to do O/O or co driver, thinking of maybe signing on as co drivers for 6 months or so to make sure this is what the wife really wants to do and then make the move over to O/O. Would hate to have a truck payment looming over us and she not like it. I have also heard from several driver I know that things have started slowing down and rates are dropping a bit. One told me he just hauled his first load of Christmas freight last week. He said it's about a month and a half later than he usually picks that stuff up. But I have a back ground in flat bed, drove the green truck with yellow stripes before Schneider bought them out. So we leaning towards flat instead of van. Still doing our research. May end up holding off until after the first of the year to pull the trigger and see how things are going then. Again we can't say thank you enough to every one that posted on here, we have gained so much inside on how things are, I have to say I was addicted to the thread and reading what was going to happen to everyone next lol.
As a "flatbedder" myself, it is that time of year when things are starting to slow down. Rates in general have been a bit lower over all but I believe it is partly, if not wholly due to the lower fuel prices (FSC is WAY down).

I don't give out advise, but if I were in your shoes, I would do just as you mentioned and be a company driver for a while before making that leap to O/O. Especially if this is going to be your wife's first experience. As I am sure you know, a "driver" either loves this....or hates it, there is no "in between"......no sense in spending big time $$ on a truck and she (wife) ends up hating the life style.

I agree with you whole heartily that this site is a great resource of information (you do have to sift through some of the B.S. from time to time). I used it from my very beginnings some 9yrs ago to today. I've actually met a couple of people off of here in person as well and have kept in contact with them over the years.

No matter what you decide and when you decide to do it, I for one wish you all the best of luck and look forward to hearing what the outcome is

BTW, on a side note, I just noticed it says you are from San Antonio.....so am I :-)
Old 11-08-2015, 02:32 AM
Rookie

Yea the really is no in between. Lol. It is for sure a love or hate position.
There is a lot of BS on here but that's part of the fun of the site. Lol every has an opinion and we all know what those are like lol. We have gained a lot of information on other companies that we plan on looking into from this site. There really is some good info on here and what seems like some good people. But there are others that you have to treat like on the CB just laugh and move on. Lol
Yes sir we do live in the Alamo City, same as you.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:03 AM
Rookie

what is a good company to work for i am currently at werner. I'm looking for a home daily job. i applied to ups and in n out. also i live in the dallas area.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene28 View Post
what is a good company to work for i am currently at werner. I'm looking for a home daily job. i applied to ups and in n out. also i live in the dallas area.
that's almost an impossible question to answer. there are thousands of companies out there and what some may considered to be a "good" one, others may considered "horrible".
it really boils down to what YOU want from a company and what they can offer. there is a section on the board here dedicated solely to various companies. take a look at it and see if something peaks your interest.
good luck.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:51 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene28 View Post
If you can stomach it you might consider working with Net Ops out of the Dallas Terminal. They have out and back run setups or local work. Might be harder to get on their list though it was a breeze for me in OKC.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:36 PM
Senior Board Member

This is by far the best thread on the whole forum, very informative. Hubby recently became L/O after many years of me begging him NOT to lol, so far so good but that doesn't mean Im not still SCARED TO DEATH! Now he's bugging me to get CDL and go with him, which I probably will, but I manage to keep putting it off lol...
Old 11-22-2015, 02:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyykatt View Post
This is by far the best thread on the whole forum, very informative. Hubby recently became L/O after many years of me begging him NOT to lol, so far so good but that doesn't mean Im not still SCARED TO DEATH! Now he's bugging me to get CDL and go with him, which I probably will, but I manage to keep putting it off lol...
I am glad that you have enjoyed the thread and that it has been informative to you in one way or another. This entire site can be extremely helpful for any and everyone, I know it was and still is for me.

where did your hubby L/O at? I know it can be scary but as long as you (him) remember that you are a business person 1st and a driver 2nd. I am sure that you already have your operating costs figured out and as long as you keep your revenue above that you should be fine.

I wish you all the best of luck and success
Old 11-22-2015, 02:48 PM
Senior Board Member
Default All the right places at the right times

quick update:

So I have been here at Mercer for 6mo or so now and am really enjoying it. As of late, I must have had "lady luck" riding in my jump seat because I have been in all the right places at the right times.

For example.....I took a load from Rockford, IL to Jamestown and Dickinson, ND for and extremely nice rate....now as a general rule of thumb as a flatbedder I NEVER like to go to the Dakota's because it has always been historically hard for me to get out. There is plenty of freight that goes in and rarely anything decent coming out.....at least for me that is. Anyways, I decide to "gamble" and take the load, knowing darn well that I must be prepared to DH probably some 500 plus miles out....well to my utter amazement the following day after I unloaded I reload 200mi away for an unheard of rate......that never happens to me.

Now my reload, which was a multi stop finaled in St. George, UT....again, another place I try to avoid. Guess you could say I was going from the pan to the fire. Well low and behold I reload out of UT heading into Cali for a decent rate, nothing to "write home to mom" about, but profitable nonetheless.

So I unload in Cali and reload just down the road for yet another decent rate heading to PA. Once there I sat for 34hrs to reset my log and then reloaded heading to Birmingham, AL. Afterwards, I bounced about 120mi north to Tuscumbia, AL where I picked up the load I have on now heading to Houston, TX. I will kick this off tomorrow and then bounce home in time to enjoy "Turkey Day" and some much need rest and relaxation time.

All in all I have had a VERY good run and was EXTREMELY profitable, something that can be a bit of a challenge for all of us this time of year. I typically use the phrase "out chasing the dollar"......on this run I almost feel as if the dollar was chasing me.....lol

Oh, and to everyone out here I wish you all safe travels and hope that you hav a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am glad to hear things are going well with Mercer. Be safe if you are planning on being out during Thanksgiving.