User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Percentage Carriers

I'm interested in going with a percentage company like Landstar. It's just that I can't seem to get a good handle on what kind of money I can expect to make. There are so many variables when looking at the revenue side of it. It's not as easy as it is when looking at a cpm deal. (About the only variable there is miles.) I try to talk to as many O/O's as I can, but so many seem to know very little about their own business. (Either that, or they're just not willing to share any info.) Is there a better way than to just jump in and hope it doesn't land me in bankruptcy?

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem. Government IS the problem!" - Ronald Reagan
Old 09-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Percentage Carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcardnlz
I'm interested in going with a percentage company like Landstar. It's just that I can't seem to get a good handle on what kind of money I can expect to make. There are so many variables when looking at the revenue side of it. It's not as easy as it is when looking at a cpm deal. (About the only variable there is miles.) I try to talk to as many O/O's as I can, but so many seem to know very little about their own business. (Either that, or they're just not willing to share any info.) Is there a better way than to just jump in and hope it doesn't land me in bankruptcy?
I can give you numbers that I ran while I was leased to them,but it won't help that much because the agent I was running for there is no longer there and that's why I left.

You need 1 or 2 good agents to work for and haul exclusively for them,don't try to run the board,it just very difficult to make it llike that.

In my 4 years there I grossed between $145,000-$186,000,but like I said those days are gone and that was about 7 years ago.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I leased to Landstar several years ago. Fuel was much cheaper back then, less than $1/gallon. I also leased to CRST Malone. Both are percentage carriers. Rates vary according to the type of freight hauled and where you go. I believe I made about $1.66 with one truck and $1.88 with the other while leased to CRST Malone. Those may not be exact, but are close to the numbers. Those figures are after CRST Malone got their cut and includes the fsc. I was pulling a flat and step. I have seen rates offered as low as $0.78 and more than $3. I know it isn't what you want to hear, but it is up to you to find the better paying loads. There are several decent percentage carriers.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:
I can give you numbers that I ran while I was leased to them,but it won't help that much because the agent I was running for there is no longer there and that's why I left.

You need 1 or 2 good agents to work for and haul exclusively for them,don't try to run the board,it just very difficult to make it llike that.

In my 4 years there I grossed between $145,000-$186,000,but like I said those days are gone and that was about 7 years ago.
This sounds like what I've been hearing from others. But how can you get started at LS without starting on the load boards?

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem. Government IS the problem!" - Ronald Reagan
Old 09-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:

This sounds like what I've been hearing from others. But how can you get started at LS without starting on the load boards?
call individual agents,before signing on

Old 09-11-2007, 03:38 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Everybody wants to start at the top. How about working your way up? To much trouble?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:38 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Everybody wants to start at the top. How about working your way up? To much trouble?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Duty
Quote:
Never said I wanted to start at the top. Try starting reading from the top, and you will see that....maybe.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Senior Board Member

hey nothing wrong with wanting to start at the top!!!,,, Schneider is now a percentage carrier! as far as support you cant go wrong with that
Old 09-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Regardless of which carrier you decide to sign on with, you need to allow about 6 months to learn their system. If you have been used to having a dispatcher, it will be quite an adjustment signing on with an agent based carrier, such as Landstar.