User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hey Steve, did you end up getting the pass for the scales? I thought I remember you said you did, but somebody mentioned that that will just invite more audits. From having it as a company driver it sure will be nice to have.

I wish others could edit my original post. I'm just writing this all down as I go along, but obviously many, if not most of you could probably detail this better as you have already done it. I don't know if any of you frequent the Fatwallet finance forums (here http://www.fatwallet.com/c/52/ )but I like how they have it set up for the major topics. I believe that many users can edit the Quick summary and the information there is a bit more orderly. There is so much information on this board, really the best resource I've found so far (GMAN is a one man transportation encyclopedia by himself) , but it's a bit scattered.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Board Regular

Merrick, just keep updating as you go along. When you get everything done, if you want it rearranged, I would be happy to help or you could ask whomever you prefer. You could easily copy and paste directly into your original post.

What your saying is exactly true. There is a lot of good info here on CAD, but when it comes to getting your own authority, it is a little scattered. This thread stands a chance of clearing up the smoke a little and in turn could be a lot of help to a lot of people over a period of time.

Arky
Old 05-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Hey Steve, did you end up getting the pass for the scales? I thought I remember you said you did, but somebody mentioned that that will just invite more audits. From having it as a company driver it sure will be nice to have.
Yes, I got the PrePass and blow by 99% of the scales. I pulled into the scales in South Dakota to take a coffee break and went inside and talked go the inspectors. They said just as long as your retain at least a 70% safety rating you will get the green light.

He also mentioned something I didn't think about. Go past the 14 rule and you will get a red light and a reg flag will go up on our computer. They are not allowed to calculate if it was impossible to drive a certain amount and pull you in for an audit. Same as toll booths. They are not allowed to penalize you for going from point A to B in light speed.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

hmmm how does that safety rating work?...I mean what are the factors used to calculate it?
Old 05-28-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
hmmm how does that safety rating work?...I mean what are the factors used to calculate it?
Tickets.

Pulled into scale because they don't have PrePass and found to have problems

Accident
Old 05-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Pepe, when you start out, you don't have a safety rating. If you are inspected, you are given a rating based upon whether you passed the inspection or not. If you passes, you will likely be given a good safety rating. If not, you could be given a poor safety rating. The more good inspections you get the better. Accidents and moving violations can also impact your rating. You can check your rating by going on the Federal website. If you have a few failed inspections, you are likely to start getting pulled in to be inspected. That is why you see so many pulled in from certain carriers. It is their safety rating.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Senior Board Member

I'll try and remember what the PrePass girl told me. Each company is assigned a pass rate which is determined by your safety rating. PrePass has 3 different rates; 5%, either 15% or 20% I can't remember, and 50%. These correspond to the odds that you will be pulled in to a scale. If you're in the top category you have a 5% chance of being pulled into each scale. You don't get a safety rating until you've had 3 inspections. Until that time, PrePass assigns you to the middle tier. I don't remember what the cut-offs were for the different levels. Obviously you don't want to fail inspections anyway so it doesn't matter.

Steve, I think the inspector was blowing smoke. There's no way they can track your 14-hour rule via PrePass. If there was, I'd be pulled in all the time...team.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Pepe, when you start out, you don't have a safety rating. If you are inspected, you are given a rating based upon whether you passed the inspection or not. If you passes, you will likely be given a good safety rating. If not, you could be given a poor safety rating. The more good inspections you get the better. Accidents and moving violations can also impact your rating. You can check your rating by going on the Federal website. If you have a few failed inspections, you are likely to start getting pulled in to be inspected. That is why you see so many pulled in from certain carriers. It is their safety rating.

Hmmm then its best if I go to the scales myself that are close (cajone) after I know everything is in order, and request an inspection?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Rookie
Default JOB

Sounds like you are doing ok, I am actually on the other end of the owner operator ladder, I am a carrier who had an owner operator decide after 4 weeks that he didn't like his lease, so he left. Now I have my plate, cab card and insurance, but the insurance is threatening to cancel because I don't have a truck. I'm in Miami, FL can someone help me???
Old 05-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: JOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastserv
Sounds like you are doing ok, I am actually on the other end of the owner operator ladder, I am a carrier who had an owner operator decide after 4 weeks that he didn't like his lease, so he left. Now I have my plate, cab card and insurance, but the insurance is threatening to cancel because I don't have a truck. I'm in Miami, FL can someone help me???
I suggest you start your own new thread with you question.