User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 05:10 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default slow flatbed freight

is it just my co or is that slow out here? i used to make 2,500 - 3,500 a week to the truck. been down to 1,200 ave. been dead around here. basically haul steel coils. used to get my choice of 4-5 different loads daily. always loaded on a fri to run up north . mi, oh. il, area. it has been over a month since i had a load going north or loade on a fri... loading out of north al area..
Old 05-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Senior Board Member

I can't help you, but I'm waiting on the answers with great interest. Just tonight I've been wondering if I should be pulling flats to make more money. So you guys feel it too, huh?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:23 AM
Board Regular

I can not speak for the rates, but Flatbed loads in the area of back home out numbers the loads for Dry Van and Reefer loads. On one of the load boards there is 711 flatbed loads, 586 Dry VAn and 398 Reefer loads all within a 100 mile radus of my home town. What I did find strange there are 3 Dry Van loads and no Flatbed loads coming out of my home town, and it more a flat bed load area.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I don't know what it was like before but since I've started I have no problems getting loads.

Cam, you will have so much work you'll need to start crapping in the cab to save time.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I don't know what it was like before but since I've started I have no problems getting loads.

Cam, you will have so much work you'll need to start crapping in the cab to save time.
Started doing this eleven years ago and still waiting on my first cab crap. Could happen, noticed you were right at the intersection of BFE and Timbuktu in the middle of the winter when you...had your first. :lol:

I like that about plenty of freight, though. I could never get Gman to simply say, 'yeah, flats generally is better.' :P I need to change something.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Senior Board Member

I'll bet Prodigy isn't sitting around,with all that mega-carrier frieght he's got........ :?

Old 05-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Volumes for all have come up, although it looks like flats are still lagging a little. The problem is that rates have been slow to adjust and that seems to be magnified with the flats. Of course, they say that the housing market accounts for something like 20% of flatbed freight, so it makes sense. Flat and reefer always pay better than van. As far as differentiation between the two, it depends on where you're at, the time of year, and what the economy's doing. You've got more flexibility with open equipment since it's much more conducive to putting together LTL loads.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
I like that about plenty of freight, though. I could never get Gman to simply say, 'yeah, flats generally is better.' :P I need to change something.
I can't say about anything other than flatbed but I've only been stuck 2 times for 2 days without a load. There were loads but I didn't take them because they were like $1.10 to $1.25. I've since changed my mind realizing that good freight is just 1/2 day away and I will gladly take fuel and truck expense money to get there.

This morning I was in Tulsa Oklahoma and shut my phone off at 8:30 to stop it from ringing. There were over 900 flatbed loads available on just one load board within a 100 mile radius.

That happens in PA also and plenty of flatbed stuff going to OK from there so you could just go back and forth.

I'm in it for the adventure, fun and to make some money. I want to see the U.S.. I like being out in the middle of nowhere where it's not safe to leave the truck at night for fear of being eaten by a bear. Yes, I was already in a small rest area with a sign to that effect.

I'm doing just fine and it's really not that much work except when you have to tarp an odd load.

Cam, I think if you do switch to flatbed you will have to crap in the cab or a bear will bite your ass off. Flatbed loads in my experience has led me to the most out of the way places that there just aren't any services. I've learned to keep my truck stocked with everything and fueled up.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
I can't say about anything other than flatbed but I've only been stuck 2 times for 2 days without a load. There were loads but I didn't take them because they were like $1.10 to $1.25. I've since changed my mind realizing that good freight is just 1/2 day away and I will gladly take fuel and truck expense money to get there.

This morning I was in Tulsa Oklahoma and shut my phone off at 8:30 to stop it from ringing. There were over 900 flatbed loads available on just one load board within a 100 mile radius.

That happens in PA also and plenty of flatbed stuff going to OK from there so you could just go back and forth.

I'm in it for the adventure, fun and to make some money. I want to see the U.S.. I like being out in the middle of nowhere where it's not safe to leave the truck at night for fear of being eaten by a bear. Yes, I was already in a small rest area with a sign to that effect.

I'm doing just fine and it's really not that much work except when you have to tarp an odd load.

Cam, I think if you do switch to flatbed you will have to crap in the cab or a bear will bite your ass off. Flatbed loads in my experience has led me to the most out of the way places that there just aren't any services. I've learned to keep my truck stocked with everything and fueled up.
Thanks Steve, and I hear you on the adventure, too. The wide open American West is like Heaven on Earth compared to a lot of places. Seriously, I've been to places like Hong Kong where the people practically live on top of each other. Nice to visit, but... I met a young woman from South Africa who was living in Hong Kong. Evidently South Africa can be a bad place to live and she was really an expatriate looking for a home, something we can just take for granted. Hong Kong was an improvement. Heaven on Earth, the American West.

Let me give you a contrasting situation. I delivered in Tobyhanna, PA this morning. I get calls about loads from time to time and some of them are even ok. Problem is, if it's 'ok' it's gone by the time I call and I'm calling back right away. Not crying (not at this particular moment), just contrasting. I think I need to put a stop to this. The information you're sharing just screams it doesn't have to be like this. Need to pray about it. Ponder...but, I do need to fix this.

I got my truck paid off the first year. The concept is to be flexible and to do what it takes to make money with your truck. Staying with the same company or the same kind of system or the same kind of freight...I say all these things have got to flex as well. Enough of jumping through hoops to get a load.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
I delivered in Tobyhanna, PA this morning
You're just a stones throw away Cam I am sitting in NJ waiting for some hours,kinda tough turning these loads down,because I don't have any hours 8)