User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Round table landstar drivers.I need your help

So must of you know I am a newbie driver who quit hauling containers and got on with Landstar.Landstar is pretty rough in starting out and in these difficult times as far as freight is concerned, where do you guys usually run and please don't tell me Florida.I have been there twice and I am never going back until freight picks up.I have my own base plate that covers 25 states(mostly east coast)Should I try running VA(west royal with agent NTO) or should I set my load alert towards Chicago and it's 300 miles radius from GA?Maybe Ga-TX and then to Chicago which will then bring me home?
I live in atlanta and though I hate the traffic here, this place has more paying freight than places like NC, AL and FL.Please correct me if I am wrong.I have been offered a dedicated run on thursdays/fridays from Ga to NC and 4 stops in between paying about $950 gross which is a 450 mile run.I still want to keep my options open.
I am not making what I was making when I hauled containers but I know brighter days will come and I am willing to learn their system.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Florida doesn't make anything, therefore freight doesn't pick up there...unless you pull a reefer :lol:
Old 03-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Board Regular
Default Florida

It is funny how they do not produce anything coming out of FL.Maybe they just trade more among themselves down there because I see more loads within FL than anything coming out.I see many $1/ mile Gross(which is 66cpmto my truck) and I am sorry I cannot run for that when my 2290 and base plate is costing me $2100/yr.I drove from Conover,NC to Sarasota, FL( at 1.88cpm gross).I waited a day without any good loads and just dead headed back to GA which was 450 miles.Birmingham was even worse about a month ago when I tried to find something coming out of there.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Last summer I was headed into MS and got a call from an agent about some of his loads. Things were hopping pretty well and I just told him, I need a linehaul of $2 plus fuel coming out of there $2(.65) + .25 = $1.55. I got it too, a nice little load of those PODS storage units going up to Philly. I was able to get loads out of FL for about $1.18/mile TTT (to the truck, I just made that up) but I learned to call back immediately after I got the call- if I waited until the message played long enough for me to even know where the load was going I probably would have gotten only a busy signal.

Not like that now. Coming out of Fl a month ago I deadheaded to Columbus. I guess eveyone is looking for things to pick up. That run you now have sounds alright unless there's stuff you haven't said (waiting around, bad roads...)

Also take your questions to BCOforum.com.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:01 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Last summer I was headed into MS and got a call from an agent about some of his loads. Things were hopping pretty well and I just told him, I need a linehaul of $2 plus fuel coming out of there $2(.65) + .25 = $1.55. I got it too, a nice little load of those PODS storage units going up to Philly. I was able to get loads out of FL for about $1.18/mile TTT (to the truck, I just made that up) but I learned to call back immediately after I got the call- if I waited until the message played long enough for me to even know where the load was going I probably would have gotten only a busy signal.

Not like that now. Coming out of Fl a month ago I deadheaded to Columbus. I guess eveyone is looking for things to pick up. That run you now have sounds alright unless there's stuff you haven't said (waiting around, bad roads...)

Also take your questions to BCOforum.com.
Running VAN or flat ?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Board Regular
Default Wow!

I never knew about that website.I learned my lesson.I am now home and I am booking loads 2 weeks in advance.What are some of the good agents to deal with and who not to deal with.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Running VAN or flat ?
Critical distinction, Dejanh. Van.

Henboy1, that's kind of a new website. Reminds me of ClassA in the early days. I don't have any particular agents that I work with or even avoid. Whoever seems like a good dude like Tim at MPH or whatever it is out of Memphis, he may or may not have the freight you need. I don't know the olden days but with the computer it's one and done, wham, bam thank you ma'am :lol: next agent, next load. I switched over to Tammy's RKY to see if I can run an individual agent's freight more regularly. If you have success booking freight that far out let us know. One thing screws up and you're calling agents telling them 'sorry but you've got to take me off that load'. Personally, I don't like to try to book too far out.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Senior Board Member

$1.18 :shock: With fuel where it's headed, you can get that rate anytime you want...with Schneider.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
$1.18 :shock: With fuel where it's headed, you can get that rate anytime you want...with Schneider.
Yes, but when you make your delivery in OH, can you get $1.60? I think everybody except Gman would agree :P , that $1.18 is sho' a lot bettter than deadheading 3-5 hundred miles out.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Yes, but when you make your delivery in OH, can you get $1.60? I think everybody except Gman would agree :P , that $1.18 is sho' a lot bettter than deadheading 3-5 hundred miles out.

You are right, Cam. I would rather deadhead 3-500 miles than take a load that I couldn't make a profit. I think every load should make a profit. I guess I am funny about that. :P No profit, no haul. :wink: