User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default A big part of the battle

You know in being a new owner OP; I am comming to the conclusion that a big part of my success will be on who I choose to repair my work truck.I started with Detroit and Freightliner (I fiqured to go to the engine builder and truck maker). However after being $400 lighter, I am disapointed with their performance and think I am better to find a small mom n pop operation close to hime.
Well I had freightliner look for an air leak out on the road, n after $200 they couldnt find one and asked do I want to spend more trying to find it....an obvious he11 no!
Out 200 for nothing.
I went to Detroit for a Dyno and check for a water leak, they said the leak was at the elbow arm n they wouldnt touch it cuz it was a freightliner issue.....out $200 again, but at least I had a dyno report.
Lot of $ tho for Info.
I cant help but think I am way better off with a smaller operation who I can get more accountabilty out of and been combing my area for references to a good independant diesel shop in my area and have two to check out today.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Or better yet, do what I do, and do ALL of the work yourself.

I've been to several dozen repair shops, and every single one has screwed up somewhere where I wouldn't have.

You save money, and your truck is more reliable.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:02 PM

ok, well how about this. I'm not a mechanic. I don't know much about how to fix cars, and even less with trucks. Help us out. I know it would be better if we were able to fix our own issues, but a lot of new trucks involve factory components and computers that I and probably many drivers don't have. Where are we supposed to learn all this?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Or, you can just make sure you charge a rate that's high enough that you can afford to get your truck repaired where ever you like.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Or, you can just make sure you charge a rate that's high enough that you can afford to get your truck repaired where ever you like.
Hmmm my issue or beef is more that once I pay quite a bit, I want results, I payed $400 almost n got only a dyno report.....pretty expensive dyno, n TSA charged me $300 just 4 n oil change n lube!

One good thing tho, I am kinda happy with these Menendez Bros repair so far, they didnt find the water leak i have somewhere, but they only charged me $30..n they did tighten some hoses the said.

A big difference from Freightliner that charged me $200 n said they couldnt find it. (Geesh I think they try to run your bill up!)

Hmmm 30 or 200......which am I happier with? Like I saaid I just want what I pay for that seems a fair price for results. What bothers me about semis thee seems so little control over quality of repair people. When I worked in automotive repair it seemed like there was everyone n their brother willing to help a distruat auto owner....no recourse tho for semi-drivers
Old 04-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member

I think the hardest thing is that even if you are a car mechanic, big trucks take big tools. I have a complete set of everything in my garage,...from hand tools to a TIG welder, but when I got my truck I had to go out and get a new air compressor (175 psi) and a whole host of new impact tools.
Now That I have done that I can tackle about anything that is not computer related. I know that these tools do little on the road, but at least when I'm home I can fix what I can.
A few months ago I saw a computer diagnostic program and plug in for a laptop that operates a DD 60. I am going to keep an eye out for that again, that way I can just plug it in and figure out what The computer problems are.
It never ends, but the challenge is fun!!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: A big part of the battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
I am comming to the conclusion that a big part of my success will be on who I choose to repair my work truck.
Yep. They can milk you dry.

We use an old guy that got laid off from another shop. He does all the work that doesn't require a heavy equipment mechanic. And there's alot of that. Ever go to the dealer at night to see who works those off shifts? Kids. Do you get a cheaper rate? No.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:39 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
I cant help but think I am way better off with a smaller operation who I can get more accountabilty out of
BINGO - Give that man a prize.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:46 AM
Senior Board Member

It can take a while to find a mechanic or shop that you like and can trust. Find other O/O's or small fleet owner's in your area and find out who they use. Also do not be afraid to seek out another truck manufacturer shop to do your work.

I have a friend who owned a Pete for years, but the Pete shop near his home was worthless and ended up taking it to the International dealer who ended up being cheaper and did good work. Just thought I would throw that in to illustrate the point.

No matter where you go, the place is only as good as the people who work there.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcso
ok, well how about this. I'm not a mechanic. I don't know much about how to fix cars, and even less with trucks. Help us out. I know it would be better if we were able to fix our own issues, but a lot of new trucks involve factory components and computers that I and probably many drivers don't have. Where are we supposed to learn all this?
The majority of repairs have nothing to do with computers.

Something goes wrong on your truck, say for example a brake pot. Go to the truck service center, and ask them how to change it. Ask lots of questions.