User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 03:09 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Engine Question.....

Hi,

I was looking at buying a new truck and had a couples of questions about the engine. I am looking at a Peterbilt 379, and then when I looked at the specs and it said, it said the engine was a C-15 CAT ACCERT. But i also looked at the new model 389, and the dealer told me that that model had a different engine than the current 379 and that they were "unsure" about the engine......because it was the new emissions engine...but I thought the ACCERT engine was the emissions engine...so..basically is there at difference in the engines in the 379 and 389..or is the dealer, not telling me the truth?? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Yes there is a difference. 2007 model year was the 379, with the 2003 compliant ACERT engine. The 2008 model year is the 389, they replaced the 379. The 2008 model year engines/trucks are jan 1st 2007 compliant, a totally different and much more strict emission requirement.

Basically this new emission requirement increases the cost of the truck by apporximately $10,000. They will get less fuel mileage, and be less reliable. Cat added EGR to their 2007 compliant engines, as well as particle filters in the exhaust, much like the other manufacturers.

The dealer is right, this new stuff isn't proven yet. If you can get a pre 2007 anything I'd grab it. I'm sure the dealers have a lot of stock left.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Did anyone else hear that Cat will not be making engines for the new trucks because they could not meet the emissions?
Old 02-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have heard that CAT will be getting out of the highway truck engine market. I can't say that I blame them. It is a real hassle dealing the bureaucrats who know nothing about business. The government workers and politicians make all these rules for everyone to follow but themselves. I hope it isn't true. I think CAT makes the best engine on the market. It seems our government is helping these foreign companies to take over the truck engine market. Just look at Volvo and Mercedes engines.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Rookie

I was lucky enough to take a tour of the Kenworth factory in Seattle a couple of months ago. At that time most of the engines being installed in the trucks were pre-2007.

A few of the trucks were getting 2007 compliant engines. Some of these were Cats and some Cummins. I did not see any Detroits being installed or on the receiving dock. So Cat is selling 2007 compliant engines.

A couple of things I found interesting: The 2007 compliant engines I saw had hoses running everywhere. It reminded me of the 1970's engines with all the emmission equipment installed. You could barely see the engine because of all the extra equipment.

Also, I was told by the Kenworth rep. that the Diesel Particulate Filter for the Cat engines could be serviced without removing it from the truck. The filter for Cummins had to be removed for service. This entailed more labor and higher maintenance costs. I do not know if this applied to the Detroit.

Although we were not supposed to see it there was a list posted in the plant of people who would be laid off if orders for 2007 compliant engines did not pick up. It looked like about 1/3 of the workforce was on that list. Hope this does not happen.

The Kenworth plant in Seattle builds the W900, T800, T600 and C500 (I believe that is the model). The plant and the trucks were very impressive and the wokers obviously took a lot of pride in the work they were doing. When the time comes for me to purchase a truck Kenworth is definitely a top contender. (Now I need to figure out how to get a tour of the Peterbilt plant in Texas and the Freightliner/Western Star plants.)

[/quote]
Old 02-03-2007, 05:21 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I have heard that CAT will be getting out of the highway truck engine market. I can't say that I blame them. It is a real hassle dealing the bureaucrats who know nothing about business. The government workers and politicians make all these rules for everyone to follow but themselves. I hope it isn't true. I think CAT makes the best engine on the market. It seems our government is helping these foreign companies to take over the truck engine market. Just look at Volvo and Mercedes engines.
Although i agree with that i must add that we have to start somewhere to bring our emmisions down even it means paying little more, and if you do just pass it to the customer if you are able to.
USA has the worst emmisons on this planet and if we look closely we will see that if we just keep on going the path we are going its not looking good, not only for us but for our children as well.

Our automakers make the worst possible engines as far as fuel milage is concerned with the average MPG driven, we get about 15-20, and thats the reason why Michigan auto industry is going to a crapper and i see it shutting down unless they try to compete with these foreign automakers.

I really think that its all about the politics..
Old 02-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Senior Board Member

One thing that is never discussed, this new emissions standard actually increases carbon dioxide by making the engine less efficient. You cannot reduce particulate matter, nitrogen oxides, and carbon dioxide at the same time.

Europe doesn't care as much about PM's and NOx as we do. That's why they have more diesels, because diesels are better for carbon dioxide. Diesels create smog, much worse then a gas engine. That's the reason for these standards.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Senior Board Member

It's got nothing to do with politics. CAT got egg on it's face with the ACERT system that wasn't up to snuff in time when all other engine makers went with a rather simple cooled EGR system. If CAT doesn't want to bother doing what Volvo, Cummins, Mercedes, Detroit and others have been able to do in Europe, that's their loss.

The newer technologies will make things more complicated and expensive but that's just the way it's going to be. You can't advance your technology without spending some money.

Just read up on BlueTec to see whats on the horizon.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
If you can get a pre 2007 anything I'd grab it.
That would be a good idea, compare to new 2008 standard, that Acert is a good deal!
Actually, doesn't matter what anybody said, i like my Acert very much.
It performance, is much better, than my old 3406E

Not sure about reliability tho, didn't have any problem for the first 250,000 yet! 8) (knock on the wood)
Of course, it's gonna be more expensive to maintain, and to fix, but still a bargain, compare to the newer standard!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Senior Board Member

the cuts at the renton washington kw plant have already started with more on the way, i`ve got a few friends who got the axe.

luckily most of em have picked up pretty good gigs at boeing...