User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I do believe it's a political B.S. game with all these new motors.Bottom line is they all get worse millage {some by a lot} than the older engines and more fuel burned is more pollution no matter how you look at it.
As far as the increased cost for these boat anchors being passed on to the consumer,that stops right at the O/O's and goes no further and we all know that.
This round ,like the last round of emissions motors will add in the area of another $10k {close to $20k in less then five years} to the cost of a truck that will get much worse fuel economy,an astronomical maintenance cost for the particulate filter and to add insult to injury they are predicted to not last anywhere near as long as the older ones.
Can anyone explain to me how this can be good for the environment?
BTW Dejanh China is the worst when it comes to pollution,not us.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Senior Board Member

And even with the higher cost and operating expense of a 2007 truck, there will still be O/O's out there running for less than a buck a mile.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudawg
I do believe it's a political B.S. game with all these new motors.Bottom line is they all get worse millage {some by a lot} than the older engines and more fuel burned is more pollution no matter how you look at it.
As far as the increased cost for these boat anchors being passed on to the consumer,that stops right at the O/O's and goes no further and we all know that.
This round ,like the last round of emissions motors will add in the area of another $10k {close to $20k in less then five years} to the cost of a truck that will get much worse fuel economy,an astronomical maintenance cost for the particulate filter and to add insult to injury they are predicted to not last anywhere near as long as the older ones.
Can anyone explain to me how this can be good for the environment?
BTW Dejanh China is the worst when it comes to pollution,not us.

Mudawg, it would be interesting to see how many of those making these stupid regulations are benefiting financially from them. There has been an entire industry (industries) that have sprang up to deal with this environmental nonsense. So much of what these mental amoeba's do accomplishes nothing but harms American industry and the American worker. I think we should all do what we can to help promote a quality environment. I would like to start with most of those lawyers and politicians who come up with this nonsense with pseudo science. Thirty years ago or so, we didn't have all this ridiculous legislation which cripples industry and takes away personal property rights. We seemed to get along just fine. Things were not perfect, but these wackos have blown things way out of proportion and enacted legislation which has proven to be based upon bogus science. Yet, we continue to give in to these wackos who do so much to mess up our lives and economy. The price of a truck is now so high that most first time buyers cannot afford to buy one. When I first started driving in the early 70's you could buy a new truck from about $25-32M. Now look at the price. Much of the increase has been the result of needless government regulations. If you go out and buy a new truck with these new engines you will spend at lease 20% more for fuel on a truck that can cost $135M or more. Freight rates are not that much different from 30 years ago, but the cost of doing business has increased dramatically. It is like a war on American industry. :twisted:
Old 02-05-2007, 02:37 AM

China, Russia and Eastern Europe are the most poluted places on earth. China has NO emmision control laws. Here is a picture of Beijing as it looks today.

There is no other country on earth that has so many trucks, pulling such heavy loads, at average speeds so high, for so many hours before failure as U.S. trucks. U.S. heavy highway trucks are a technological marvel.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
It is like a war on American industry. :twisted:
I agree GMAN, I think that is exactly what is going on.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:53 AM
Senior Board Member

I agree with you on China Paul...I have been over there several times on business and no matter where I was (North, Middle, South)....EVERYWHERE looked like a smoggy LA summer afternoon. It was depressing to see that and I'm glad I live here.

But...before I talk out of both sides of my mouth here.....the fact is that our cost of living has dropped due to lo-cost places like China. I hear people piss and moan about "them Chinese" taking over but are the first to get in line to buy that <$1000 Hi Def TV that was made in China.

We can't have our cake and eat it too.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:08 AM

I agree geompn with everything you said. As I grow older I gain ever greater appreciation for the wisdom of our Founding Fathers. They new that economic independece was an indispensible element in political independence. That is why the ONLY tax they wanted our country to have was a tarrif on IMPORTS.

Until the creation of the income tax in the twentieth century our federal government was financed solely and exclusively by import duties and tarrifs. The result was a nation that became the envy of the world.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidman82
Did anyone else hear that Cat will not be making engines for the new trucks because they could not meet the emissions?
Caterpillars engines are fully compliant with the 2007 / 2008 emissions. The only engine that I heard that they were having some issues with was the C9 and it is a Medium Duty engine. It was meeting the emissons but they were fighting a fuel system problem.

The last data that I saw for Heavy Duty On Highway Engine Sales had Caterpillar ranked #1.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
It's got nothing to do with politics. CAT got egg on it's face with the ACERT system that wasn't up to snuff in time when all other engine makers went with a rather simple cooled EGR system. If CAT doesn't want to bother doing what Volvo, Cummins, Mercedes, Detroit and others have been able to do in Europe, that's their loss.

The newer technologies will make things more complicated and expensive but that's just the way it's going to be. You can't advance your technology without spending some money.

Just read up on BlueTec to see whats on the horizon.
Do you really think that they couldn't build what everyone else did?? They are looking for a better product not only for On highway but also for their Big Yellow Iron.

We will see just how well that Cooled EGR works in an Off Highway Application. Just look up the fines that Cat payed the EPA for everyone of those NON Compliant engines they sold.

I hope that Cat's competition has done their homework and they don't start killing engines off with the higher EGR that they are feeding into them to meet the new Emissions Standard.