User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default new o/o needs help

well i took the advice that i found here on this site,which was to find a carrier that could give me plenty of work ,well this Carrier told they had plenty of work that when i get my trk to come down and they could have me running the next day,
so i bought a trk and an end dump trl and now there screwing around taking there time to get me setup , in fact i think its been all most 2 weeks now.
so I'm looking for some advice,,,

should i lease on to an otr carrier,who should i contact,who is a good company.

or would i be better off running under my own authority,keep in mind i only have an end dump trl(fl spec), because it doesn't seem like there's allot of end dump freight on the load boards,,,,so does that mean ill have to get a different trl,or is there freight out there were i don't need a trl at all,,,,,
pls advise ,,thx
Old 01-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Rookie

a little about myself might help u ,,,,
I'm 22 almost 23 in April,,i have 6 points on my license,
Old 01-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Senior Board Member

With your age, lack of experience, and MVR, it's going to be an uphill battle with insurance. Would I be right in assuming you don't already have your own?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Rookie

thats incorrect i allready have insurance through progressive,on my truck and trl
Old 01-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Rookie

as far as experience goes i have one year otr,and one year pulling flatbed agriculture exempt, I'm just trying to find a good company to lease on with since the other company i had in mind says now they don't need me,as i said earlier though i do have my own insurance,just need help with the company thing,thx for the reply,any advice will be appreciated
Old 01-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Since you already have insurance, I assume you have also gotten your authority? If so, I would check with some of the larger dump companies, construction companies, etc., You may also want to consider renting a van or flat if you can't buy one now. It is much easier to find loads with your own trailer if you run your own authority. I think you will find it difficult to find a carrier who will take you on at your age. Most require you to be at lease 23 years old. You don't have long to wait. Since you already have some experience, they might be willing to work with you. It depends on your MVR. It sounds like there may be some problems there. With all the construction work going on in Florida, I would think there would be plenty of opportunities for dumps. There are some on the board who live in Florida. Some pull dumps. Hopefully, they can offer more direction.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Rookie

thats correct i do have my own authority for intrastate,i didnt spend the extra money and time to get full authority,basically because i didnt understand all the ifta and irp stuff,so i figured i would just do the state of florida,especially since i had a company that promised me all kinds of work,if i would have know then what i know i would have bought a flatbed and did otr,but u live and learn i guess not to trust everyone,so now im just trying to dig myself back in the right direction,i wander if i could make a good living running flatbed in florida only,,,,its a thought,,,i was hoping u would chime in gman u seem like a pretty smart businessman
Old 01-31-2007, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Has the other company told you why it's taking so long to get you signed on? I've heard anecdotally that construction down there has slowed down considerably so I don't know what the climate is for end-dumps right now. If you wanted to get interstate authority, it won't cost you much more and then you'd have a few more options. There are power-only loads out there on the loadboards, though they're sometimes hard to come by. There are also a few companies out there that specialize in power-only, Powersource comes to mind. Then you've got the companies that re-position trailers and deliver new ones. There are also a few companies out there that will sign you on with your own authority and pull their trailers, Interstate and Prime both have such programs. If you wanted to stay intrastate, I always thought that a solo could scrape by pulling reefer loads in FL. Of course this would necessitate getting a trailer somehow. But given the climate, it might not be too hard to find someone willing to rent a trailer these days just to generate some revenue.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:48 AM
Board Regular

how about trading in your end dump for a flat bed and do citrus? if you want to stay in state.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhbr
thats correct i do have my own authority for intrastate,i didnt spend the extra money and time to get full authority,basically because i didnt understand all the ifta and irp stuff,so i figured i would just do the state of florida,especially since i had a company that promised me all kinds of work,if i would have know then what i know i would have bought a flatbed and did otr,but u live and learn i guess not to trust everyone,so now im just trying to dig myself back in the right direction,i wander if i could make a good living running flatbed in florida only,,,,its a thought,,,i was hoping u would chime in gman u seem like a pretty smart businessman

Thanks, calhbr. There are usually quite a few intrastate loads in Florida. Rates tend to be a little better for loads staying in state. I have heard of some who have made a decent living without leaving the state. The main problem is that most runs will be short, so although the rate may look good my the mile, it may not be all that great for the day. But at your age you probably don't have that many bills. You may want to check some of the load boards and make a few calls to see what is available. You may also find some building materials people who could use some help in state.