User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hauling Cars

Hello all. Still doing well on the reefer side. I've halted growth for a bit as I grew too fast and didnt' want to crash and burn. We just moved into an office hired an assistant etc. Even better I share an office with a CPA so my books are constantly been looked at and he helps me with certian movees (he's also a blood relative, so I'm not billed for every question.

Anyway, I'd like to move into cars as well. I already have the driver and a good lane, as well as some good contacts. I just have no idea about the trailers. What would be the type of trailer to start with? I know GMAN used to haul cars so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2011, 02:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you want to use a high mount fifth wheel truck I would probably look at either a 7 car quick loader or a 9 car. Cottrell makes both types of trailers. Sun Valley used to make a fairly good trailer. Miller also makes a good trailer. If you want to get a stinger then I would go with Cottrell. I would want a 102" wide trailer rather than a 96". The wider are easier to load the newer SUB's and pick ups.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:22 PM

I have a 1998 7 car Sun Valley Easy Loader that I have not listed for sale yet. I just sold a 1990 last week and now when this one gets back home, it will go up for sale. PM me for details.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:31 PM

Even if you're not interested in my trailer, here's some advise...

As most on here with auto transport experience would agree, stay away from stingers. If you don't have a huge amount of experience with them, don't try it. There's better money in door to door service and stingers will make you lose sleep at night even if you have a good driver doing door to door. Stick to easy loaders, you'll thank me!:smokin:

Last edited by GrillN; 07-09-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillN View Post
Even if you're not interested in my trailer, here's some advise...

As most on here with auto transport experience would agree, stay away from stingers. If you don't have a huge amount of experience with them, don't try it. There's better money in door to door service and stingers will make you lose sleep at night even if you have a good driver doing door to door. Stick to easy loaders, you'll thank me!:smokin:
Can you explain that a little? Stingers, as I understand it, come in 9 or 10 car versions. You referred to the ezloader as a 7 car. It lives up to it's name? Fewer insurance claims and quicker/easier loading is wiser in the long run than hauling more cars at a whack? Trying to learn somethin' here.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
Can you explain that a little? Stingers, as I understand it, come in 9 or 10 car versions. You referred to the ezloader as a 7 car. It lives up to it's name? Fewer insurance claims and quicker/easier loading is wiser in the long run than hauling more cars at a whack? Trying to learn somethin' here.
Easy Loader lives up to it's name. Less hydraulics = less chances for damages. Load 4 on top and 3 on the bottom and you're on your way. I've owned both setups and I've had way more success with easy loaders.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:02 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

For me it would depend on the type of hauling that I was planning. It does take longer to load a stinger. There are stingers that can haul up to 15 smaller cars. I have not seen one of those in a log time. They are harder to load and heavy. If you plan on hauling POV's a 7 car might just fit the bill. I still prefer the 9 car, but if I were planning on hauling regionally, I might consider the 7 car. They are much easier and faster to load than a 9 car or stinger. I agree that you might have fewer claims with a quick loader trailer. You don't have to worry too much about moving the ramps or getting the weights right on a 7 car.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
For me it would depend on the type of hauling that I was planning. It does take longer to load a stinger. There are stingers that can haul up to 15 smaller cars. I have not seen one of those in a log time. They are harder to load and heavy. If you plan on hauling POV's a 7 car might just fit the bill. I still prefer the 9 car, but if I were planning on hauling regionally, I might consider the 7 car. They are much easier and faster to load than a 9 car or stinger. I agree that you might have fewer claims with a quick loader trailer. You don't have to worry too much about moving the ramps or getting the weights right on a 7 car.
Yea my last stinger was a 12 car low-rail cottrell setup. 12 sedans, 5 on the head rack and 7 on the trailer. I could not trust anyone with it. I had one driver come work it and he had 16 years verifiable experience with stingers, to make a long story short, 6 cars were damaged on his first round trip. Everything that I've learned in this business has been hard earned and has cost me. In my opinion, stick to an easy loader. Just my $.02
Old 07-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillN View Post
Yea my last stinger was a 12 car low-rail cottrell setup. 12 sedans, 5 on the head rack and 7 on the trailer. I could not trust anyone with it. I had one driver come work it and he had 16 years verifiable experience with stingers, to make a long story short, 6 cars were damaged on his first round trip. Everything that I've learned in this business has been hard earned and has cost me. In my opinion, stick to an easy loader. Just my $.02
Six cars on his first trip? WOW!! That guy sounds like a driver that I once hired. He had 16 years experience and said he knew how to drive a super 10. He scraped every gear and missed some along the way. The seven car would be the safest from a damage standpoint. But, I would not discount a 8/9 high mount. Probably a little more risk than a 7 when it comes to potential for damage. Some get in too big of a hurry and cut corners. Everyone will have some damage from time to time. I have NEVER had that many vehicles damaged on a single trip.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 PM

Six cars damaged on one load, he didn't know a thing about car hauling. I live by the stinger, they can be profitable, if you maintain the equipment. 7car quick loaders are great for POV, Door to door work. Word to the wise don't run to CT, NH or maine, they will pop you every time with and over length ticket.. (If scale is open). I prefer stingers, once you learn the truck and have a system down, it the easiest thing in the world..

Now they have strap trucks, greatest invention ever for a car hauler. I ran one couple years ago for United road and loved it. You couldn't get me to chain a car anymore.

Last edited by Tobytob; 07-10-2011 at 09:20 PM.