User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 12:05 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishman
wife and I have spent all day, and no doubt the next several weeks trying to work out what... How.....when... to do all this....
Or not to do...

Get your prioritys straight, what do you want from it?

If that's a money, than you've got to get rid of "company driver mentality"-"Miles=money" cause it's not.
If it's the freedom, you won't have any, without the money....
Think about it...and good luck! :wink:
Old 11-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Since you have 3 years experience, you may want to check some of the percentage carriers. You should make much more than any mileage carrier. There are several who might be a good fit for you, depending on the type of freight you are interested in hauling. Most of these carrier's who pay mileage usually don't pay the owner operator enough to make a profit. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Try Packerland if you are not opposed to running reefers. A neighbor used to have several trucks leased on there and decided to get into running other freight with fewer trucks and offered the other trucks to his drivers that he was going to have to let go. One driver didnt want the responsibility of a truck but decided to take/buy one of the trucks, just the tractor 2002/03 W900. I saw this guy a few days ago and he is happy as a clam. The truck was immaculate, he had a newer 53 reefer of his own behind it and he was praising the guy that let him buy the truck and he is still with Packerland. Maybe this can be your story. Good Luck.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishman
schneider likes to keep it's o/o's out in the 48 states, I live on the west part of K.C.
It's not a done deal who I lease to yet, just starting out with ideas, but will do it.
Thx for the thought on Triple Crown, I will call them.
As for 3000 a week, sure, if I can earn $'s doing less, then I would do less... I'll go where the money to live on comes from!
Not true, depending on your hometime, they will keep you in the midwest, im an Owner Operator leased to schneider i use to run the road with them. Now i drive local pulling containers and dryboxes off the railyards, if you live in kansas city, they have a railyard that pulls local also, i dont know if they hire o/o's on that account but you may wanna check it out, you make pretty good money, i make more here than some of these independents, and home everyday
Old 11-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
Quote:
Originally Posted by NascarFan
Solo379 would you mind showing me what your cost per mi are.
I just did, $0.75 cpm, and it is "estimated", means included all costs, even projected.

If you mean detailed report, that i'd rather not do, but my insurance, is about 4 grand(bobtail, physical damage, and collision) for 2005 KW T600.

Fuel, i've got $0.34 cpm, my average MPG is 6.9, and i could buy the cheapest fuel, since company pays fuel tax.

Truck, i've actually bought for cash, so i'm estimating depreciation, at $0.15cpm.

I do pay a lot of tolls, around $0.07cpm...
My numbers are pretty darn close to Nascar's. Solo, you've got it goin' on.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Senior Board Member

The good measure of your efficiency, would be a % of fuel cost, to a gross revenue per mile.
Of course, it depends, wether you are leased, or independant, gotto make some ajustments, to the fuel prices too...

At a fuel price, at around $2.50-$2.80 per gallon, i'm considering;-

20%-excellent!

25%-good!

30%-fair(acceptable)..

And below that,- poor business practice, wether it's a low rates, or low mpg.

For example(leased O/O, all hub miles).

If fuel cost you $0.40 a mile, and you are grossing $2.00 a mile, you are doing excellent, $1.60, good, $1.30, hanging in, and anything below, you are just wasting your time... :wink:
Old 11-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Senior Board Member

How are your fuel costs are only .34 per mile? Mine are $.52 CDN per CDN gallon.

EDIT: Never mind. Mine are ~$.35 when adjusted for the smaller US gallon and exchange.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Solo is on the money with the 75 cpm number. This is why some companies only want to pay O/Os 75-99 cpm. That is BS. You cannot make a profit running for those numbers if it takes 75 cpm just to run the truck!! Until the majority of independents understand this, companies will continue to have fleece purchase programs and bring on guys to run for 85 cpm and smile all the way to the poor house.

About a month ago, I posted about a young man on a fleece purchase plan with CRST running flats out of Gary, IN. I told him to save his money, complete his lease and call me when he had his title. A month later this idiot has purchased two cars and called me complaining that he now has approx $900/mo in car notes. How stupid is that? There goes another successful fleece operator.