User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Fill in the blanks for me...brokers

Are thier small to medium sized-say a few trucks and more. That use brokers to get freight or is it more a o/op 1 truck kinda deal?

Also, why do the rates say NEG. and they refuse to NEG? I have had more than 1 say sorry i wont do any better, they wont even take a call back number, etc.

We refuse to haul cheap freight. I Was offered a FL 48' long 5,000lbs, it was a piece of a log home. They were paying under a buck a mile. I laughed at the guy, and said 1st of all I cant add to the load and 2nd of all, i might as well send you a check cause it costs me more to move the load.

Sad thing is, some ya-hoo sitting in a truckstop out there will jump on it, and hurt the rest of us.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Fill in the blanks for me...brokers

[quote="csramsey640"]Are thier small to medium sized-say a few trucks and more. That use brokers to get freight or is it more a o/op 1 truck kinda deal?

I've only worked for two large companies. With companies as large as 400 trucks, they do use brokers. But, it's not just the brokers that cut each other's throats to get shippers for clients. Loads going from Groveton, NH to Brokaw, WI, going through Canada, used to pay $2/mile. Roehl got in and CUT THE RATE. Today, it runs through for $1/mile. Now, figure your percentage from there. But, small companies will use cheap rates to MOVE THEIR TRUCKS to a better load too. It's cheaper than a deadhead. If it doesn't pay the expenses, it's a tax write-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csramsey640
Also, why do the rates say NEG. and they refuse to NEG? I have had more than 1 say sorry i wont do any better, they wont even take a call back number, etc.
The last load I took for the last company I've been leased onto was because I wanted to move the trailer to a location so that I could drop it without "ABANDONING EQUIPMENT". The destination is DROP & HOOK, so I could drop it in an authorized location, and simply NOT HOOK. But when I called the broker and told him that by the time it filtered down to my percentage, it didn't pay the expenses, he agreed. He said he didn't know, and would be happy to throw more on, but since he and the load finder already agreed on the price, he was not permitted to add anything to it. Another words, the load finder COULD HAVE NEGOTIATED. But in this case, didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csramsey640
We refuse to haul cheap freight. I Was offered a FL 48' long 5,000lbs, it was a piece of a log home. They were paying under a buck a mile. I laughed at the guy, and said 1st of all I cant add to the load and 2nd of all, i might as well send you a check cause it costs me more to move the load.

Sad thing is, some ya-hoo sitting in a truckstop out there will jump on it, and hurt the rest of us.
Like I said. Companies of 25 trucks and up will use those loads to move their trucks to higher paying loads. For them, it's a tax deduction.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Ramsey, Sounds like you wanted this load pretty bad. You let it sit, which is good for the industry and the little guy. The broker was trying to sell a full 48 ft load as a partial because it weighed 5000 lbs. Do you think he quoted the shipper a cheap rate? Of course not. This broker has learned that you dont haul cheap. Will he call you next or will you call him next? It doesnt matter, just get your price or an agreeable fair market price for your service. We love to gripe about the cheap ones and boast about the big $$ loads. Just remember your bottom line, the other guy may or may not know his.