User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 01:20 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Independant Contractors

I was wondering if someone could help me with some questions?
First...what do I need as in tags, and liscense to get started in my own truck.

second......I have 4 tickets on my record, but would like to buy a truck and work as an independent contractor. Can someone tell me how this works....
my tickets are not from my truck, but my auto, and they are all over a year old, but still within 3 years.

Thanks for any help
Dave
Old 09-10-2006, 01:25 AM
Senior Board Member

It is going to be really hard to obtain insurance to drive a big truck with that many tickets that is the first thing you need to check with an insurance company if they will even insure you
Old 09-10-2006, 01:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Insurance companies could care less if those tickets were on a skateboard. They were moving violations that you were convicted of, end of story.

On top of that if you do not have any driving experience in a Class A vehicle you are going to find it hard enough to get insurance with a clean driving record but with 4 tickets in 3 years you will probably find it impossible. Even if you did find an insurance carrier you probably could not make enough to pay for th truck, fuel, insurance and other operating expenses and still have any money left to pay yourself.

Your best bet is to let 3 of those tickets drop off, go get your Class A liscense through a CDL school, then hire on as a company driver for 2 or 3 years to learn the ins and outs of this biz before jumping into the deep end of the pool as an O/O or Indy.

And just so you can not say no one tried to answer your question you will find 99% of what you want to know about liscencing and such HERE and the other 1% you can learn by contacting your state department of motor vehicles and the commercial vehicle enforcement office of your state police.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Unless you have a substantial amount of cash, you are setting yourself up for failure, with no experience in this business. Right now, there are a lot of small underfunded independents and owner operators losing their shirts. If you do decide to pursue this you will need a base plate, SSR, IRP, IFTA. The cost will depend on where you live and license your truck. I would expect to spend from about $1,600-2,200. Before you will be allowed to get these items, you will need to pay a Heavy Highway Use Tax (2290), cost is $550, prorated from July. The first thing you will need is Motor Carrier authority. The cost is $300, but you will need liability and cargo insurance. You can check with Progressive for the liability. There have been some on this forum, with no experience, who have been able to get restricted insurance with them. I hope you have deep pockets. With no experience and so many tickets, it will be costly. Insurance companies look for at least 2 years experience and a clean MVR.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

My suggestions would be to call Progressive right away and get a quote. They are the only company that will insure a person without experience. If your tickets are a problem they will be the first to shut you down and that could be the end of the story. If you make it past them go for the cargo which is the hardest to get. If you pass those two obstacles, you should have no problem with the rest.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
My suggestions would be to call Progressive right away and get a quote. They are the only company that will insure a person without experience. If your tickets are a problem they will be the first to shut you down and that could be the end of the story. If you make it past them go for the cargo which is the hardest to get. If you pass those two obstacles, you should have no problem with the rest.
If, by "the rest", you mean obtaining starting capital, a decent customer base, business sense, a lighter right foot, etc. :roll:

Be a company driver - it's where you belong, Dave.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
If, by "the rest", you mean obtaining starting capital, a decent customer base, business sense, a lighter right foot, etc. :roll:
I hope you have a substantial income(other than trucking), to support that "rest"! :lol:
Old 09-10-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
If you pass those two obstacles, you should have no problem with the rest.
I should edit the end and put "if you have the money". The customer base should not be a problem as I found out already. Many loads out there on the load boards and they only thing they care about is you having your authority and insurance.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Give the guy something to work towards. 4 tickets is a problem, but maybe he has capital and customers and just wants some opinions, you guys are definitely giving him opinions.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Dave, when you got your cdl, you became a professional driver and a target. You have to protect your cdl which is your livelihood. A good rule to follow especially with 4 tickets is to change your driving habits, in and out of the truck. Good luck and go for it!!! Trucking is not as easy as it looks, but it is a rewarding way to make a living.