Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   O O's Looking for Drivers Looking for O O's (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/o-os-looking-drivers-looking-o-os-9/)
-   -   Businessman turned truck driver NEEDS drivers. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/o-os-looking-drivers-looking-o-os/36991-businessman-turned-truck-driver-needs-drivers.html)

southernpride 02-02-2009 09:00 PM

Businessman turned truck driver NEEDS drivers.

NEW? EXPERIENCED? or anywhere in between....

I'm lookng for TEAMS or a SWIFT CERTIFIED MENTOR, to run 2 trucks. If you are not already a team, but a solo driver who is willing to team, please contact me. Both trucks will be leased on to Swift.

As to avoid any confusion and so that expectaions are clear right up front:
Trucks- KW T660 or T2000. both are 2009
Drivers will be paid % of Truck income.

Team drivers (brand new) should have no problem averaging 33cpm
(or about 750/wk for 4500 mi. per driver)
experienced drivers up to 45cpm.
(1000+ per driver for 4500 mi)

4500 mile weeks are average. You could run more or less some weeks. thats up to you.

I expect each truck to run a certain # of miles per month, you determine what how long you have to stay out to get the miles. There are miles here for Team drivers. You just have to run hard and be willing to work. 14,000 miles/month is easily obtainable. I run 18,000+ with students without pushing too hard and getting good home time.

Unless you are 100% sure you can run hard and team, this is not 4 you.
***DRIVERS WILL BE CONTRACTORS NOT EMPLOYEES*** (but this may change)

Trucks:
both have sirius included
cobra 29 stock cbs, but you can put your own in if you like.
standard cab (i think the t2000 has more space)
40qt cooler
bunk heater.
Qualcomm

I pay for everything other than showers and hotels. (unless breakdown)
Fuel is at the drivers discretion but using swift terminals GREATLY increases profit, which increases pay for all three of us. The team will run the truck, and i will only get involved if there is a problem. Bonuses will be available for those who earn them and will be agreed to before you start driving. Everything will be in writing non of the he said she said stuff.

I am a family man and a Christian, and therefore believe that your time on the road should be utilized to increase the quality and quantity of time at home. Honesty and integrity are a vital.

ps. Payroll is professionally handled and predictable, direct deposit is available. Not issues with pay. EVER! You see what the truck makes, no secrets. its all above board here.

ronjon619 02-02-2009 09:26 PM

do you provide health ins?

southernpride 02-02-2009 10:44 PM

NO. since the drivers will be classified as a contractor not an employee i would not be able to do that. but i can put you in touch with a licensed agent who offers great prices on Blue Cross amongst others.

Thanks 4 asking.

fatboytenn 02-12-2009 02:28 AM

job interest!!

I would be willing to run solo or team with the matching characteristics. I am a male, clean,(trucks, and myself).I smoke and would be most satisfied if my partner also did... but where are you located before things go very far.. I am 52 years old and get along with most people. I am new to the trucking industry but I have been through training and solo for two weeks. I hold a CDL and also have physical for two years. [email protected]............i am in west Tennessee.

Rev.Vassago 02-12-2009 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southernpride (Post 436971)
***DRIVERS WILL BE CONTRACTORS NOT EMPLOYEES***

This is illegal.

Jumbo 02-12-2009 12:47 PM

I found it odd that he expects x amount of miles but pays on percentage. And then pays you as a contractor.

gregw66 02-28-2009 02:28 AM

Need exp and can run hard

My wife is training with a swift mentor now and we would be willing to team and run hard that's what we plan on doing, here lies the problem, i have the most exp. At 6m but were clean.

southernpride 04-10-2009 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 438337)
This is illegal.

Would like to offer some sort of validation for that sladerous statement?

Here is mine, according to the IRS (whos guidlines are taken directly from National Labor Relations Board (NLRB)

(Independent Contractor (Self-Employed) or Employee?)

Common Law Rules:
1- Behavioral: Does the company control or have the right to control what the worker does and how the worker does his or her job? ***No, how the work is done is governed by the contract that 7-Forty-7 and Swift Trans, and subsequently, the contractor agrees to as terms of service.***

2- Financial: Are the business aspects of the worker’s job controlled by the payer? (these include things like how worker is paid, whether expenses are reimbursed, who provides tools/supplies, etc.) ***I controll the day i pay the contractor, and i pay according to an agreed upon number. Similar to commision, however i in no way limit the amount of a pay a driver may earn, nor do i REQUIRE the driver to anything other than the service for which pay is rendered. (ie uniforms, schedules, required production....) if you read the above i expect the truck to run a certain # of miles, i do not require it do so. However maintaining a profitable unit is part of the service i am paying the contractor for.

I also quite clearly stated "you determine what how long you have to stay out to get the miles."
AND
"Fuel is at the drivers discretion but using swift terminals GREATLY increases profit, which increases pay for all three of us. The team will run the truck, and i will only get involved if there is a problem." hmmmm..... sounds like independance to choose how and when to work. that not me controlling what times they drive and on what loads and where they stop and at what times now is it?

3-Type of Relationship: Are there written contracts****hence the term CONTRACTOTR!*** or employee type benefits (i.e. pension plan, insurance, vacation pay, etc.)? Will the relationship continue and is the work performed a key aspect of the business? ****The relationship is based soley on the service being paid for, once the terms of the contract are fulfilled, there are no further responsibilities***

Furthermore;

If you read IRS publication 3320-102. ( http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/emporind.pdf ) it clearly states that if you can prove a prima facia case of 'reasonable basis', then the election is acceptable.

2 of those listed are: (even though you only need 1)

"Reliance on the advice of an attorney or accountant may constitute a reasonable basis"

and......

"Section 530(e)(2)(B) requires a "reasonable showing" of industry practice by showing
the taxpayer."

(TONS of o/o's classify their drivers as contractors.- including many at swift!)

*****************WHY YOU GOTTA ACT LIKE YOU KNOW WHEN YOU DONT KNOW?***************

Next time you want a gun fight, leave your little switchblade in ur pocket, ok? u might show your true ignorance or arrogance! or a bit of both!

Rev.Vassago 04-10-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southernpride (Post 445969)
Would like to offer some sort of validation for that sladerous statement?

I'd be more than happy to.

You have claimed you own the truck. Therefore you are in control of where that truck goes, and what it does. Therefore that person driving the truck is an EMPLOYEE. Therefore paying them on a 1099 instead of withholding taxes is ILLEGAL. The very thing you quoted states just this:

Quote:

Common Law Rules:
1- Behavioral: Does the company control or have the right to control what the worker does and how the worker does his or her job? ***No, how the work is done is governed by the contract that 7-Forty-7 and Swift Trans, and subsequently, the contractor agrees to as terms of service.***
Nice try, but unless the driver has complete control over the job, they are an employee. It doesn't matter that you pass it off to another party.

Quote:

2- Financial: Are the business aspects of the worker’s job controlled by the payer? (these include things like how worker is paid, whether expenses are reimbursed, who provides tools/supplies, etc.) ***I controll the day i pay the contractor, and i pay according to an agreed upon number. Similar to commision, however i in no way limit the amount of a pay a driver may earn, nor do i REQUIRE the driver to anything other than the service for which pay is rendered. (ie uniforms, schedules, required production....) if you read the above i expect the truck to run a certain # of miles, i do not require it do so. However maintaining a profitable unit is part of the service i am paying the contractor for.
You admit you control the pay based upon what the driver does. Therefore they are an employee.

Quote:

I also quite clearly stated "you determine what how long you have to stay out to get the miles."
AND
"Fuel is at the drivers discretion but using swift terminals GREATLY increases profit, which increases pay for all three of us. The team will run the truck, and i will only get involved if there is a problem." hmmmm..... sounds like independance to choose how and when to work. that not me controlling what times they drive and on what loads and where they stop and at what times now is it?
You've already admitted that Swift is controlling the "how" and "when" of working. Nice try though.

Quote:

3-Type of Relationship: Are there written contracts****hence the term CONTRACTOTR!*** or employee type benefits (i.e. pension plan, insurance, vacation pay, etc.)? Will the relationship continue and is the work performed a key aspect of the business? ****The relationship is based soley on the service being paid for, once the terms of the contract are fulfilled, there are no further responsibilities***
ROFLMAO!

You have a contract, therefore they are a contractor? That's your flimsy argument? Come on!

The driver is running YOUR equipment! Is that driver able to run for whoever they want while driving your equipment? Can they suddenly, at a whim, deadhead all the way to Florida when they are sitting in Minnesota? If not, then you are controlling the equipment.

Nice try, though.:thumbsup:

(btw - slander is for the spoken word)

Quote:

Next time you want a gun fight, leave your little switchblade in ur pocket, ok? u might show your true ignorance or arrogance! or a bit of both!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

chris1 04-10-2009 10:40 AM

You forgot who supplies the tools(truck). The only way to be legal is to "rent" the truck out. (something like a L/P)
The only thing that the carrier can control is fed/state regs pertaining to ICC(OMC) and the want/needs of the customer.