Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Trucking Jobs... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/7516-trucking-jobs.html)

ricky05 03-24-2005 08:20 PM

Trucking Jobs...

How many driving jobs have you had?? If you could, please tell why???

carbon 03-26-2005 01:16 AM

4 to be exact and that was back in 2000. The first was right out of school and the a@@hole still owes me 1500 bucks. delivered beer in Detroit for 2 months until I was held up at gunpoint ( he only got 6 cases of 22oz bud) shuttle drove for a foods company til I wasn't getting any sleep at night and the last was a driver leasing company. AND IF IT'S ANYTHING YOU READ IN THIS POST DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT DRIVE FOR A DRIVER LEASING COMPANY. They ran my only 2 days a week if I was lucky til they put me with a company that hauled auto parts. Needless to say I ran my ass off that is until my boss found out and fired me. He claimed it wasn't fair to the other drivers. When I asked the other drivers they had said they worked at least 32 hrs per week. What a cock of crap. That was in Feb of 2001. My dumb butt didn't look at my MVR or else I wouldn't be in the boat I am in now...Looking to get back in!

GMAN 03-26-2005 01:34 AM

Well Ricky,

I would say I have had no more than 6 driving jobs over more than 30

years. I like running my own show. That is why I own my own equipment.

You don't say why you are asking. Most drivers have a lot of jobs

with a number of companies. A lot of them think the grass is always

greener on the other side of the fence. Sometimes that is true. However,

my experience is that there isn't a lot of difference in the companies. You

put them in a box and you can't tell one from another. Over the course of

a career you lose many thousands of dollars by switching companies. If

you find a good one you better stay with them. :P

Bisquit 03-26-2005 08:54 PM

Over the last 15 or so years I have had 6 counting my present. I left most because the freight slowed way down or when working local cause the work just dried up and was working like 20 hrs a week. I did get let go from one job. I had a wreck in Laredo,TX. I was ticketed but later got the ticket dismissed cause it wasn't my fault and I shouldn't have been ticketed in the first place. After 4 years with the company I was let go because the company( home office is in Bakersfield,Ca) instituted a zero accident policy. Too bad, i would have spent the rest of my working life there cause I really like the people I worked with and enjoyed my job. I made reallllllly goooood money and had excellent benefits. Oh well life goes on..............Don

ricky05 03-26-2005 10:14 PM

Thanks guys I just wanted to know since the trucking companies are now saying that there more interested in driver retention(DON'T WANT YOU TO UP & LEAVE) :lol: , instead of constantly looking for new drivers that don't know any better. I've had 6 jobs over the last 10 years that I actually worked any time with, twice with one, three times with another. But my good ol' DAC report says I've had 11, it doesn't make since 5 of the companies were just orientation only. Thankfully I have a good MVR. :D

beaner 03-26-2005 11:03 PM

i,ve only held 4 driving jobs the first was a straight truck hualing sand the second was for a large company lost that job to my own mistake 3rd job was hualing cars would,nt do that again 4th job was hualing logs out of the woods was ok i now drive for a small company in texas pulling a refeer cross country and hope to stay with them for a long time

midnight rider 03-26-2005 11:18 PM

Beaner, where you from?

small 03-28-2005 04:36 PM

Since my start in trucking back in 2000, I've had 6 trucking jobs. It's good to hear the trucking companies now talking about retention, but I'd have to see it to believe it.

A friend of mine is have a having a hard time finding a quality driving job because of the number of jobs they've had. Seems like when you have had more than 5 jobs...your still ok...if your last job was longer than 6 months. Now if you've had 12 trucking jobs, and you've never spent more than a year at any of them...good luck. Trucking companies think your just going to do the same with them...just up & leave.

But if the dispatchers had a little more training in dealing with drivers respectfully, keeping their word, & load planning...and companies paid drivers more, their turn-over rates wouldn't be as high. But that just my thinking...I'm just one driver :wink:

bluebeetle 03-28-2005 05:25 PM

We had a driver submit an application with 26 jobs in the last 5 years!

727guy 03-28-2005 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebeetle
We had a driver submit an application with 26 jobs in the last 5 years!

If I did my math right, that averages out to 2.3 months per job. No sense in hiring him. He'd leave before you got all your new hire paperwork completed on him. :roll: Question is, exactly what is he trying to hide... or run from??
:?:

727guy