Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Chaining up (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/4697-chaining-up.html)

Lady18wheels 09-26-2004 06:09 AM

Chaining up

Are you willing chain up to keep the appointment/scheduled delivery?

crazytex 09-26-2004 06:23 AM

being a rookie, my opinion isn't worth much but unless the load is dispatched with a time allotment for it I dont think you can keep an appointment even if you do have to chainup......

IT's all about SAFETY FIRST

as long as I make it safely to my next hometime, I'll do what it takes.....

Doctor Who 09-26-2004 01:17 PM

Yeah SAFETY FIRST...

If the road condition requires chains, it's time to park the wagon. No load is worth the risk of killing oneself or some other self!!!

dnc915 09-26-2004 02:55 PM

Chains

Yeah if I have to Chain I am parking and going to bed. Chains are not worth the risk factor to go 15 M.P.H

jezebelle1458 09-26-2004 03:00 PM

I'll chain up to get out of a situation or to get to the nearest safe place to park it.No load is worth my life(despite what the dispatcher says).

Tinman 09-26-2004 03:02 PM

a newbie here of course...

wondering what your company or dispatch would say if you told them that youre not going to make it due to this weather... would you all of a sudden start getting the crap loads?

also, if the weather is really bad enough that we *drivers* have to have chains on, will the company that we are delivering to still be open... i would think that they would probably be closed as well...

Tinman

mstweety 09-26-2004 03:03 PM

re:

Throwing chains is just not worth it.
Park the thing. I have used a chain to gain a little traction but only for getting out of a spot.
I do carry chains, because in OR you are required to at least have them to go in the winter.
If chain law is being inforced, its time to park it and have coffee with other drivers!

jezebelle1458 09-26-2004 03:16 PM

If your company wants to try and push you to run with chains,all you have to do is mention the word...SAFETY.Just simply say something like "It is not safe to run" or "because of the safety involved,you are shutting it down".If it is still a problem,tell them you need to speak to the safety department and clear it with them.Odds are they will back off.Yes,if your dispatcher is a weenie,you will probably get crap loads for awhile.But tell me,is the load worth anyones life?

Tinman 09-26-2004 03:25 PM

nicely put jess... thanks...

Lady18wheels 09-26-2004 03:26 PM

Quote:

... i would think that they would probably be closed as well...
Not necessarily, because your delivery may still be 1000+ miles away. Chains are required on some mountain passes during the winter months - DOT checks to be sure you have them on.

Quote:

...would you all of a sudden start getting the crap loads
Probably not - if ice is the issue. They'd much rather see the load delivered late than scattered in a pasture or down in a ravine somewhere. Everybody's scared of ice - dispatchers included - experienced ones anyway.

EGADS! I can't post fast enough sometimes!