Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   I'm Not Really New but I Need Help (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/45824-im-not-really-new-but-i-need-help.html)

dnl_pat 03-28-2016 08:09 PM

I'm Not Really New but I Need Help

I used to have a class A CDL and drove for about 4 clean years. When the time came to renew 2 years ago, I just renewed as a regular non CDL. I would like to get my A CDL reissued back now. What do I need to do to get it back? I'm in Fl.

GMAN 03-28-2016 09:34 PM

I would check with your state and see what they require. I would explain your situation and see if they will reissue your CDL without having to take the road test again. Most likely you will need to take the written and road test. In order to take the road test you will need to either rent or find someone who will lend you their truck and trailer. It may be necessary to take a refresher course in order to have access to the equipment. You may check to see if there is a school that offers CDL classes near you. It might be possible for you to pay them to use their equipment and do the road test with them instead of with the state licensing people. As a last resort, you might be able to go to work for one of the training carriers for a few months to get your CDL and some current experience. Most carriers require at least 1 or 2 years experience within the last 3 years in order to hire drivers. You could check the company listings on this forum to get started.

dnl_pat 03-29-2016 03:54 PM

Thanks for your advice. I called the DMV and the lady said all I need to do is take the written exam for hazmat and any other endorsement that I want. I also need a current DOT card. So it looks like all I need to do is pay the reissue cost plus the cost of hazmat and any other endorsement. She mentioned nothing about a driving test.

repete 03-29-2016 04:52 PM

WOW!! that really is a surprise for me. You must live in a 'friendly' state, I'm sure your not in New Yorkistan.

dnl_pat 03-30-2016 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 537323)
WOW!! that really is a surprise for me. You must live in a 'friendly' state, I'm sure your not in New Yorkistan.

I live in Fl.

GMAN 03-31-2016 02:53 PM

Let us know how it goes at the DMV.

snatale42 04-12-2016 12:19 AM

That's awesome if it's true, but sounds like bad info to me. Usually a year is the cutoff for switching back.

GMAN 04-12-2016 12:39 PM

Most carriers look for drivers with at least 6 months within the last 2-3 years. According to your post, you are within that window. I think you will find a carrier to get started as long as you can get your CDL back.

sedrick11 05-10-2016 01:02 AM

Gman...Im still waiting for you to contact me

GMAN 05-10-2016 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedrick11 (Post 537686)
Gman...Im still waiting for you to contact me

I sent you an email.