Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Request Exit Strategy Assitance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/44904-request-exit-strategy-assitance.html)

607 08-26-2014 02:15 AM

Request Exit Strategy Assitance

I have chosen to leave trucking altogether and I would appreciate some help brainstorming an exit strategy.

I have taken some initial steps such as researching potential employers, created a resume, have started building a wardrobe for interviewing and more. While I am comfortable with much of the process, there is a primary issue I would like help with.

I feel that there is no way to be successful in securing a new position while continuing to drive. I imagine the call comes in from "BestJobOpportuinityCO". They want to interview me for my new dream job. Yet I can't make it to an interview while they have interview appointments available because I have to give my Driver Manager a weeks notice for time off.

Getting away from OTR for the purpose of being interview available is a primary goal. The biggest issue is living expenses. I have enough saved to scrape by for one month. Clearly it may take longer to land a new position in a different industry. So I am requesting any ideas you may have. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Useless 08-26-2014 02:57 AM

Dan:

Speaking as an employer, it's difficult to offer constructive advice while knowing so little about your circumstances. You're seeking advice for an "exit strategy", but other than having drafted a resume, purchased some clothes for interviews, and having set aside only minimal savings to carry you for a month, you've shown no indications of having formulated an entrance strategy that you'll need in order to enter into a new occupation or career field.

If you are looking to give up driving altogether and enter another career field, then having only a month's worth of savings (scraping by) is an open invitation to disaster. For one thing, having barely one month's of savings will barely work in a seamless transition from one job to the next; it allows for no time between jobs. Then, ask yourself what happens when Murphy's law kicks in while you're out of work?? That has a mysterious, magical way of happening.

If you're seeking to enter a new career field, then one month's savings simply won't work. Your last paycheck will be spent well before your next paycheck arrives. Being behind on your monthly expenses while seeking employment will shut many doors of opportunity before they're ever open to you. Another problem is that your employment opportunities will be confined to what work is immediately available, as opposed to what is more likely to be a suitable fit.

If you think that being able to schedule a job interview while you're currently employed as an OTR driver is difficult, then let me assure you that having plenty of time to interview because you're unemployed will make landing an employment interview and a decent job far more difficult. Having plenty of free time on your hands doesn't endear you to prospective employers. Being behind on your bills while having plenty of free time on your hands to interview will only make matters worse.

You stated that you've chosen to leave trucking altogether, so are we to assume that transitioning from OTR to a local gig is not an option?? If not, then why not?? Are you wanting to enter another career field?? What skills do you have to offer?? Why should an employer hire you instead of another candidate??

These are but a few of the many issues to consider. There are several of us on this board who are employers, and who are willing to offer counsel, but you're just not giving us anything to work with that will enable us to help you.

Here's wishing you the best!!

repete 08-26-2014 03:50 PM

useless has a lot of good info there. I second the $$ part. I can see you "scraping by" and then when your out of money and falling behind on bills being forced to accept the first OTR job you can get just so you can get by. You need a lot more than 1 months worth of cash saved, I'd at least plan on having twice what you think you need per month and twice the number of months.
Why can't you start putting in apps? Include a cover letter telling about your current job and that interviews need to be scheduled a week out. If a prospective employer is interested in you that won't matter.

Twilight Flyer 08-26-2014 04:31 PM

One quick note on the 1 month savings....that should raise a big red flag. It's going to take time to get the interview process going and find the right job. When I transitioned from an HR position (laid off) into the trucking industry back in 2001, I went from May 21st to September 4th without a job. During that 3+ months, I had 72 apps and/or resumes out and had 14 different interviews before I finally settled on a position. So 1 month can be scary....it's not much of a safety net and it will go by very fast.

Regarding your own situation, it would also help to know what you are looking for, where you live, and what is available in your area. One thing to consider is that there are also plenty of trucking industry jobs where former drivers can and do very well.

GMAN 08-27-2014 10:32 PM

Without having a position in hand, I would be hesitant to leave a job in one industry to get into a totally different industry with only a month of savings. I would suggest having at least 6 months. And as Twilight Flyer stated, there are other jobs in trucking that don't involve driving otr. There are local driving jobs, dispatching, planning and recruiting, among other types of positions. A good exit strategy includes a plan about where you want to go, type of job that you are interested in applying and something about your education and experience. You don't want to leave your current job without having a solid plan.

607 09-03-2014 07:27 AM

Useless, repete, Twilight Flyer and GMAN brought up many good points and questions. Let's see if i can clarify my thinking for everyone.

My intent is to leave trucking. I may use a local position as a springboard to leave OTR. My thought being that if an interview comes up for a position I desire I would "miss" a day of work to go to the interview. Yes I know this would have to be done cautiously, as many absenses will make me an unemployment statistic.

Quote:

Another problem is that your employment opportunities will be confined to what work is immediately available, as opposed to what is more likely to be a suitable fit.
This is so true. This is why I like the idea of a springboard job to distance myself from OTR. If the springboard job is in my new intended field or a local driving job I feel that would better position myself to reach a more desirable position in the future. Trying to do this one step at a time.

Quote:

If you think that being able to schedule a job interview while you're currently employed as an OTR driver is difficult, then let me assure you that having plenty of time to interview because you're unemployed will make landing an employment interview and a decent job far more difficult.
I understand your point. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to get through the hiring process while still being on the road earning a living. My employer will "throw me under the truck" if I ask for assistance to go to an interview with a prospective employer. It is difficult enough to get them to get me home for scheduled doctor appointments and vacations.
What might be some solutions for the OTR driver who will need to interview with prospective employers.
MY current ideas are to first attempt to steer the prospective employer into a phone/skype interview. If that is not acceptable then attempt to schedule an appointment near a time that I might be passing the yard(we run "out and then back" or "circles" over and over) and then claim some sort of fabricated emergency to get home for a day to do the interview. I am open to your ideas.

Transitioning to a local driving job is, as previously mentioned, a possibility but only to aid in eventually securing a retail management position(I have a large amount of experience in both management and retail).

Useless, repete, Twilight Flyer and GMAN all correctly brought up the fact that I do not have the funds to do this properly at this time. All of you are right and I know it. This was my main concern when writing the original post. I obviously did not communicate clearly in the initial post.
I am trying to formulate a plan with the most CYA options that I can come up with. To do this I am prepping in every way I can. From the resume (on its second revision) to interview clothes (gained some weight in the 12 years since my last real interview :-( ) to ideas how to make interviews happen while OTR to how to lessen the financial hardship of not having enough cash on hand to make the transition properly.

I appreciate the points that all of you made regarding the pitfalls that I can and very well might be heading into. Most importantly I hoped for solutions as well. I know not every idea will work for me but please put forward any solutions you can think of. If I can't use them possibly a driver with the same issue will use the knowledge when they do a search for their "exit strategy" ideas.

Thanks again for the help you have already given, and thanks in advance for any ideas you may have,
Dan