Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Looking for a recomendation on who to go with. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/44866-looking-recomendation-who-go.html)

runwme 08-08-2014 10:42 PM

Looking for a recomendation on who to go with.

I was a driver / race team mechanic for 18 years pulling tag along trailers with rvs (no cdl) all over the country. After that I took over as service manager for a auto dealership and while the $$ is good, I miss being on the road. I went to 160 hr cdl school finishing top of class and now wondering what would be the best first step for my driving career.

About me..
45 clean cut non-smoking fit professional with strong work ethic
Single with a grown child so long hauls ok.
Hazmat, doubles/triples / tanker endorsements.
28 years driving having never been in accident at fault or otherwise ( knock on wood)
No arrests or traffic violations other than expired tags 15 yrs ago
18 years experience pulling /working on race cars ( no- cdl)

I was thinking Team driving running east/west coast hauling produce may be a good way to start learning the intricacies of driving while teamed with an experienced driver.

What do you guys suggest?

repete 08-09-2014 12:15 AM

I take it you didn't apply to any companies while in school? Thats the best time cause most co. will give you a pre-hire letter so you atleast have an idea of whats what. Don't waste any time now that your out of school, that cdl has a short shelf life! Just put in an app. here on CAD in the job section and go from there.

runwme 08-09-2014 12:30 AM

Thats the problem, put in an app with whom?
Not being in the industry I received 45 emails from recruiters from so many different companies promising many things. Then when I come on here and research, I find that apparently there are a few unscrupulous recruiters. Posted here in effort to get feedback from experienced drivers rather than just pulling a name out of the hat to go with. I'm hoping my first company will be one to stay with.

runwme 08-09-2014 12:35 AM

btw.. I'm making an assumption that the ones that send recruiters to school offering big sign on bonus do this because they have to.

I could be wrong, but I'm betting the best companies to work for wouldn't need to send people to a school looking drivers.

Iron_Weasel 08-09-2014 01:58 AM

From what I hear, Crete is one of the better "starter" companies.

Swift, Werner, US Xpress, Schneider.....they'll all promise you the world to get your butt in one of their seats and then pull the rug out from under you. Personally, I did my time with Swift until I found a local gig and never looked back.

runwme 08-09-2014 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Weasel (Post 531620)
From what I hear, Crete is one of the better "starter" companies.

Swift, Werner, US Xpress, Schneider.....they'll all promise you the world to get your butt in one of their seats and then pull the rug out from under you. Personally, I did my time with Swift until I found a local gig and never looked back.

Thank you. Crete was one of those that had contacted me by email and I have just submitted an application.

Useless 08-09-2014 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runwme (Post 531613)
About me..
45, clean cut, non-smoking, fit, professional with strong work ethic

Well, it looks like you already have a few strikes against you!! ;)

mndriver 08-09-2014 12:41 PM

put all them names on a board, blind fold yourself and throw a dart. Most of the companies will offer similar pay (too little) and benefits and then they will all piss you off.

Useless 08-09-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mndriver (Post 531625)
put all them names on a board, blind fold yourself and throw a dart. Most of the companies will offer similar pay (too little) and benefits and then they will all piss you off.

WRONG!! The process of selecting potential employers requires serious forethought.

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four......."

runwme 08-09-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless (Post 531623)
Well, it looks like you already have a few strikes against you!! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless (Post 531627)
WRONG!! The process of selecting potential potential employers requires serious forethought.
haha
"One potato, two potato, three potato, four......."

The potato thing never really worked out for me, I've had much more success with Eeny, meeny, miny, moe :D

Useless 08-10-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runwme (Post 531629)
The potato thing never really worked out for me, I've had much more success with Eeny, meeny, miny, moe :D

Well, EXCUUUUUUZZZZZE ME, Mr. Ivy League Intellectual!! :p

repete 08-10-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runwme (Post 531621)
Thank you. Crete was one of those that had contacted me by email and I have just submitted an application.

Crete may or may not accept you. i know at one time new drivers had to go thru a PTDI certified school or meet other standards (what I don't know).
I do know that when I was hired at Crete they paid
Aprox. $300 for orientation.
Rented me a car to get there rather than a bus ticket
Training pay was $500 a week
OTR mileage pay was about .35 cpm and .40 at a year
Lot better than most others and has gone up some in the past 7 years.
Don't lie to them and don't bull s**t them if you try they will send you home on a bus!
You could do a lot worse than Crete, I know I have! I do a dedicated account for them and haven't gotten a raise in years I'm finding out I'm still better off than a lot of drivers.

Useless 08-10-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 531638)
Crete may or may not accept you. i know at one time new drivers had to go thru a PTDI certified school or meet other standards

Hi, Repete!!

I've been out of the industry for some time now, and much in the industry has changed. Are companies still offering tuition reimbursements for recently graduated drivers??

mndriver 08-10-2014 08:28 PM

I left the industry in 1997, came back in 2012. Swift, Crete, England, Knight and a bunch of the mega's all told me I'd have to go back to a school, even their own, and it would cost me $6,000+ to get "trained" even though I already had my CDL still. I never let it lapse.

I refused to be bullied like that and found a local company with only 25 trucks. Hired on the spot and started the next Monday.

repete 08-11-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless (Post 531640)
Hi, Repete!!

I've been out of the industry for some time now, and much in the industry has changed. Are companies still offering tuition reimbursements for recently graduated drivers??

Some do, I haven't the faintest idea if Crete does. I do know that they took me with little experience and that was 'old' (some of it decades old!) and gave me a shot. Yeah I went out with a trainer and they said right upfront it would probably be 6-8 weeks, It didn't take that long for them to see my great talent and extraordinary skill. I'm I laying it on to thick?

Useless 08-11-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 531644)
Some do, I haven't the faintest idea if Crete does. I do know that they took me with little experience and that was 'old' (some of it decades old!) and gave me a shot. Yeah I went out with a trainer and they said right upfront it would probably be 6-8 weeks, It didn't take that long for them to see my great talent and extraordinary skill.
Am I laying it on too thick?

You left out the part about how you wound up training your trainer!! :cool:

runwme 08-11-2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 531638)
Crete may or may not accept you. i know at one time new drivers had to go thru a PTDI certified school or meet other standards (what I don't know).
I do know that when I was hired at Crete they paid
Aprox. $300 for orientation.
Rented me a car to get there rather than a bus ticket
Training pay was $500 a week
OTR mileage pay was about .35 cpm and .40 at a year
Lot better than most others and has gone up some in the past 7 years.
Don't lie to them and don't bull s**t them if you try they will send you home on a bus!
You could do a lot worse than Crete, I know I have! I do a dedicated account for them and haven't gotten a raise in years I'm finding out I'm still better off than a lot of drivers.

You were correct. I went to Miller-motte college for the 160 hr course and the recruiter told me that school wasn't on the approved list and that I would need to work for another carrier first :eek1:

So..... 2nd option for a recent graduate with all endorsements? Any suggestions?
Thanks
David

mndriver 08-11-2014 11:55 PM

find a smaller local carrier that won't have all those silly requirements. someone like http://brennytransportation.com/

repete 08-13-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runwme (Post 531665)
You were correct. I went to Miller-motte college for the 160 hr course and the recruiter told me that school wasn't on the approved list and that I would need to work for another carrier first :eek1:

So..... 2nd option for a recent graduate with all endorsements? Any suggestions?
Thanks
David

Crete is aggressively looking for drivers for a new (to them) dedicated fleet. Call that recruiter back and tell him how bad you really want to work for crete cause you've heard so much good about them ect ect. You never know! In the mean time keep filling out apps. Try Schneider (sp) they do a good job of training and pay and bennies ain't bad.

runwme 08-16-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 531690)
Crete is aggressively looking for drivers for a new (to them) dedicated fleet. Call that recruiter back and tell him how bad you really want to work for crete cause you've heard so much good about them ect ect. You never know! In the mean time keep filling out apps. Try Schneider (sp) they do a good job of training and pay and bennies ain't bad.

My school is approved with Melton and they seem to haeve good reviews, decent pay and apus in their trucks. I like their rider program where (anyone over 18 and kids over 10)

It will be flatbed trucking with tarps but I don't mind hard work.

Any reasons not to go with someone else rather than Melton?

repete 08-17-2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runwme (Post 531741)
Any reasons not to go with someone else rather than Melton?

Other than tarps, chains, and the fact it's a flat bed? Umm nope, go fur it

Useless 08-22-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runwme (Post 531741)
About me........
28 years driving having never been in accident at fault or otherwise

Re: Melton: It will be flatbed trucking with tarps but I don't mind hard work.

Guys like you sure make things difficult for the rest of us!! :mad:

montypope 09-16-2014 03:44 PM

core mark in dfw is looking for class a drivers.

alphatrucker 01-12-2015 05:36 PM

I will say that at Archer Cargo where ive been the last 1.5 years has been really good. Im very framiliar with getting the run around from companies ive worked for. They give me 50 cents per mile and i stay out as long as i like. My dispatchers are surprisingly nice. I just figured id put in my 2 cents. Ive been doing this a long time and i dont plan on leaving.

Useless 01-12-2015 07:34 PM

alphatrucker:

I will say that at Archer Cargo where ive been the last 1.5 years has been really good. Im very framiliar with getting the run around from companies ive worked for. They give me 50 cents per mile and i stay out as long as i like. My dispatchers are surprisingly nice. I just figured id put in my 2 cents. Ive been doing this a long time and i dont plan on leaving.

So, they give you 50 cents per mile, and you've put in your 2 cent?? That brings you down to 48 cents per mile!! :confused:

golfhobo 01-18-2015 01:04 AM

runwme said:

Quote:

I was a driver / race team mechanic for 18 years pulling tag along trailers with rvs (no cdl) all over the country. After that I took over as service manager for a auto dealership and while the $$ is good, I miss being on the road.
So... why did you give UP my "dream job?" Driving an RV? Going to the races? lol. I'm not a good "wrench turner" so... I have nothing to offer THEM but driving. I've always wanted to drive a big rig for a race team. Have YOU considered going back to ONE of them... now that you can drive the big rigs?

Quote:

I went to 160 hr cdl school finishing top of class and now wondering what would be the best first step for my driving career.
That's a good first start! I'm sure (as you said,) that school will pass muster with MOST carriers! If ONE discounts them... you should discount THEM.

Quote:

About me..
That makes you a recruiter's "wet dream!" And the endorsements are good, too!

Quote:

28 years driving having never been in accident at fault or otherwise ( knock on wood)
MORE "cream" for a recruiter! A clean record... and a stable work history!

Quote:

I was thinking Team driving running east/west coast hauling produce may be a good way to start learning the intricacies of driving while teamed with an experienced driver.
I have (mostly) ALWAYS been a Team driver. 9 years going on 30! I wouldn't think "one" would haul produce BOTH ways. MOST companies who put food on our table, do it as a "backhaul." I.E: You find a company that hauls ANY product (mine was beer) to the West coast, and then haul azz back to the East coast with produce. This DOES require "team driving," but... the benefit is the fact that you get home almost every weekend, AND... you get an (almost) guaranteed 5,000 miles a week! DON'T start for LESS than 20 cents/mile for ALL miles the truck runs. (That equates to 40 cpm solo... and you CAN get that kind of pay to start!)

I currently drive "team" for FedEx, but you need ONE year experience to get hired on. Let's just go GET that ONE year any way you can! CRETE is a good company (as they have done well by repete,) but... don't limit yourself by saying the FIRST one has to be the ONLY one! Like HE said... you need to get started before the shelf life on you CDL expires!

There is a BIG difference between flatbedding and "dry" freight! You need to give more thought to how hard you want to work... while REALLY learning how to drive a big rig across country! But... if you are that "fit" and want to work HARDER for the same money I'm making... GO for it! It will do you well in the future if you want to move on to "heavy hauling."

Quote:

I suggest you get started NOW! And... that you really think about what you want. AND... that you make a "plan!" But... don't let the PLAN get in the way of getting started! The doors don't OPEN until you are actually driving a big rig on the roads of this great country!

Don't go for the "lifestyle" some will sell you... of living in your truck and getting home once a month. DON'T go for any "lease purchase" deal until you know MORE than they think you know!

That being said... there is no shame in starting with a Mega Carrier like Crete, CRST, Werner, Schneider, or so many others. Just stay away from C.R. England and, if possible... Swift!

Ask more questions, and I'll continue to offer more "insight" (if not answers.)

And.... pay attention to what others may say "in jest." There is truth behind every joke.

sunny954 01-19-2015 02:06 PM

Dedicated Team Run $1200 guaranteed

compensation: Dedicated Team Run $1200 guaranteed
Looking for a team driver to cover a dedicated run from
Des Plaines, IL - East Moline, IL - Empty
East Moline, IL - Phoenix, AR - FedEx Run (No more than 30000lbs)
Phoenix, AR - LA - Empty
LA - Groveport, OH - PIlot load (no more that 18000lbs)
Groveport, OH - Des Plaines, IL - Empty

This run is dedicated, and it has ran the same for 3 years by the same drivers. It's a very simple and easy run. One of the drivers is leaving and I need to replace him. The load is Forward Air Freight, which is a pretty big company and assures consistency.
We pay a flat rate of $1200 which comes out to about 50 cents per mile. I am not looking for someone that changes positions often, because I have a very good driver and I don't like to change his co-driver often. So please, only drivers that are serious about this position contact us.

Requirements:
1 year of verifiable experience
Clean MVR
Able to pass the drug and physical test.

We offer:
Good Truck
Weekly Direct Deposit
Consistent work without surprises
Prepass -
E- logs

For more information contact Sunny at 855.254.2224 or cell 954.643.3010

jman 02-21-2015 12:03 PM

I would stay in a normal career. Truck driving is nothing but a scam with a bunch of unscrupulous people. I have been doing it ten years to long. Run the other direction.

repete 02-21-2015 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman (Post 533683)
I would stay in a normal career. Truck driving is nothing but a scam with a bunch of unscrupulous people. I have been doing it ten years to long. Run the other direction.

All career's have good points and bad. I've had lots of career's and even more jobs, some have been as short as 2 hours and some took almost 20 years to decide I wanted out.
Overall trucking has been good to me, matter of fact I'm kind spoiled now. I work long hours but it's by far the easiest job I've ever had and I stay clean & warm when it's cold outside and cool when it's hot and my check is in the bank every week what more could I want?

Go Load 02-22-2015 11:03 PM

CDL CLASS A DRY VAN DRIVERS.
MUST have a minimum of 1 year VERIFIABLE COMMERCIAL DRIVING EXPERIENCE. OTR. Must be able to complete Driver Logs.

48c/mile to 50c/mile
We pay detention, good inspections, empty miles.
E-mail : [email protected]

shyykatt 02-22-2015 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman (Post 533683)

Does not sound bitter AT ALL! lol

Go Load 02-25-2015 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runwme (Post 531613)
I was a driver / race team mechanic for 18 years pulling tag along trailers with rvs (no cdl) all over the country. After that I took over as service manager for a auto dealership and while the $$ is good, I miss being on the road. I went to 160 hr cdl school finishing top of class and now wondering what would be the best first step for my driving career.

About me..

We are a trucking company located in Chicago IL, and we looking for CDL drivers Class A , team or single. Clean records and professionalism from you. We will give you : good semi trucks (auto and manual trans) , new dry vans, AND 48 c/ miles.
We pay extra stops, detentions, good inspections. For more information e-mail : [email protected]

Dswtransport 03-21-2015 09:29 AM

We are seeking Class A CDL drivers for a growing company based in NC. We offer excellent pay, bonuses, meal per diem, weekly pay, well maintained equipment, 24/7 dispatch, plenty of miles and much more. Call us to discuss your future with a company who understands that drivers are the backbone of our company! DSW Transport 704-750-4900 X703 or 704-418-8878 anytime.