Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   DOT Prohibited Med's - Refresher Class is Monday (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/42439-dot-prohibited-meds-refresher-class-monday.html)

HanSoloWS6 04-12-2012 10:34 PM

DOT Prohibited Med's - Refresher Class is Monday

So, I just happened to find posts about prohibited med's and didn't think anything about the ones I'm on until now. I've read some posts about getting a letter from my Dr. about the med's I'm on to give the doc doing the physical/drug screen. One med I'm on, in a very low dose, is a generic for Klonopin, and I saw it was a no-go. I am also on Cymbalta for shoulder pain. But a couple others I didn't see that I'm on are ropinirole for restless legs and topiramate (usually used for seizures) for migraine control which I will probably not be taking anymore soon. All of these meds I take when I go to sleep only, and they don't knock me out or have any other side effects.

Just wondering if anyone has other info with these med's and the DOT. The drug screen I will be taking will be both a urine and hair test. The hard part is going to be getting letters from 3 different doc's that have prescribed these meds before Monday. And hope the letters don't help and I get sent home. I will not be happy.

Orangetxguy 04-13-2012 02:22 PM

My first thought is; Did you talk with this prospective employer about these medications BEFORE getting accepted?

Just reading the info available on the net makes me wonder how you could pass a physical if you informed that doctor of the meds you are on.

HanSoloWS6 04-14-2012 04:04 AM

Actually, the issue didn't come up until I happened upon some posts on here. I honestly didn't think about it until then. But I had a visit with my doc today and talked to the company's clinic today and everything is good to go. The med's I was most concerned about, my doctor took me off of them since I don't need them anymore. And I also got a letter from my doctor outlining the rest of my meds and their use.

Orangetxguy 04-14-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HanSoloWS6 (Post 510333)
Actually, the issue didn't come up until I happened upon some posts on here. I honestly didn't think about it until then. But I had a visit with my doc today and talked to the company's clinic today and everything is good to go. The med's I was most concerned about, my doctor took me off of them since I don't need them anymore. And I also got a letter from my doctor outlining the rest of my meds and their use.

That is a god deal, your doctor writing out a letter regarding the meds. Good luck.