Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Normal Wear and Tear on Body from Truck Driving (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/42304-normal-wear-tear-body-truck-driving.html)

Zombie Woof 02-13-2012 04:20 PM

Normal Wear and Tear on Body from Truck Driving

Hey,

I was just thinking about my future health care. I'm 57 now, and in good health except for some aches and pains that come and go. I have a sciatica down my left leg that kicks up about once a year and lasts for about a week at most. I also have a numbness / tingling thing going on in my upper left back next to the spine, which comes and goes. I have not reported these to my employer. Maybe I should.

I might want to quit working before I can get medicare ( age 66) and would be on my own for health insurance. I wonder if workmens comp would pay for any physical therapy, x-rays, etc for these problems, if they got worse, and I need treatment after I quit.

Maybe my new insurance company would refuse to pay, saying it was pre existing, and was a work-related injury that I should have reported to my employer.

Any words of wisdom would be appreiciated.

ZW

Mystikal 02-13-2012 10:15 PM

This might be an obvious question but have you thought about regular visits to a chiropractor and sports massage therapist? When I was in law enforcement I had severe hip problems from my duty belt and back numbness along the spine from the vest I wore. Regular visits kept it in check and the pain nearly gone.

Roadhog 02-13-2012 11:53 PM

At your age, just stay on top of any health concerns, and ask for a complete blood work on your next doctor visit.
Get a colonoscopy if you haven't yet. As far as your complaints, sounds like pinched nerves. Those can take weeks to heal, and the ones around your hip and legs take allot from sitting, even sleeping in certain positions. I also had problems like Mystikal from wearing a carpenter tool belt. Do allot of stretching, and you will pretty much self adjust your spine and joints, where the nerves get in trouble.
Watch your stress levels, as your body ages, it isn't as resilient.

Don't worry about the stuff you can't control, especially 9 years off. There will be insurance you can have, and I've never known anyone to be turned away from serious medical attention. I was planning to work until 66 as well. It all changed in a matter of a few months, two years ago for me... at age 58. I found out I have a terminal illness, and I was getting 1-2 complete physicals every year, one for trucking, and one for my fire&rescue job. I got laid off one month before I found all this out, and was standing in shock uninsured, out of work, and I'm now a ghost of my former self already. So...you really can't plan on your health getting you to age 66, because it can all change real quick. I felt strong and healthy when I got the news.

Best advice, take good care of yourself, and see your doctor at least every year for a physical. Last thing you want to consider is making decisions based upon documenting pre-existing conditions. If you have any health conditions that need attention, sooner the better in all cases.

Orangetxguy 02-14-2012 04:35 AM

Looks to me like the Hog-miester gave you the best advise your gonna ever need.

Roadhog 02-14-2012 10:36 AM

..remember the "ichy nuts" thread? http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...d10/schrik.gif
I felt I made a connection with Woof there. http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...and10/nutz.gif

scratch-scratch-dig-dig-dig..... ( snifs fingers )

dle 02-15-2012 07:04 AM

Sounds to me like it's pinched nerves as well. Go see a chiropractor and get it taken care of before you get on a truck. The chances of it getting worse is better than it getting better.

Zombie Woof 02-19-2012 04:19 PM

Sorry to be so late in replying. The usual excuse : no time.

Roadhog, sorry to hear about your health concerns. And no insurance! How did that work out??? I'm doing the stretching as you suggested and it helps the pinched nerves.

Mystikal, yes, I've heard about folks using and being happy with chiropractors. I may end up there, or at least at a physical therapy place, for the upper left back thing.

But what do I put on the form at the doctor's office when it asks if this is a work-related injury ???? It's a yes or no question. If I say it is work-related, from steering all day, then I could get treated for it in the future with workmens comp, even if I have retired and have no health insurance, right?

Any downside to saying it is work-related?

classictruckman 02-19-2012 07:39 PM

Your employer may not like you because you're increasing his worker comp rates.

Roadhog 02-19-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Woof (Post 508904)
Sorry to be so late in replying. The usual excuse : no time.

Roadhog, sorry to hear about your health concerns. And no insurance! How did that work out??? I'm doing the stretching as you suggested and it helps the pinched nerves.

Mystikal, yes, I've heard about folks using and being happy with chiropractors. I may end up there, or at least at a physical therapy place, for the upper left back thing.

But what do I put on the form at the doctor's office when it asks if this is a work-related injury ???? It's a yes or no question. If I say it is work-related, from steering all day, then I could get treated for it in the future with workmens comp, even if I have retired and have no health insurance, right?

Any downside to saying it is work-related?

In Michigan, Blue Cross/Blue Shield can't turn anyone down for pre-existing conditions. There is no way I'll ever return to work again, so I filed for Social Security Disability. That allows me to draw my social security early, and get Medicare.
I was thinking that would take a long time, but they go by your medical records, and I'm sick enough, I was approved 2 months after I filed the application... so that went well.

If you suspect you have a work related injury, go deal with it, and get treatment. If the same injury is reoccurring, you will show this pattern on your medical record. If it continues, then it becomes a chronic condition. (long term & progressive)

I'm thinking you have some nerve damage, and it's really not that uncommon. It would be nice if you can identify whats causing you this. When I worn my tool belt, I got numb thighs and had horrible back aches all the time. Pain got so bad once in awhile, I had to take time off. You reach a point, you have to rest and let the body heal. I finally quit construction. My body got broke down from working like a bull, so I took up something easy, like trucking. http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../loudlaugh.gif I'm an idiot

Zombie Woof 02-20-2012 03:36 PM

Roadhog,

Thanks for the comeback. Good to hear you got medical coverage fairly quickly.
I may be "overthinking" the legal details of getting treatment for my aches and pains, but.... who knows.

ZW