Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   learning to flatbed (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/42269-learning-flatbed.html)

ground_pounder 02-06-2012 02:13 AM

learning to flatbed

What's the best. Way for a new driver to learn how to flabed as far as secureing loads and permits and what ever else right out of school? And when hauling heavy construction equitment do they load it on the trailer or doed the driver?

VPIDarkAngel 02-06-2012 07:17 AM

Sign on with a flatbed company, such as McElroy or Maverick. Some other companies like Werner and Swift have divisions within the company devoted to flatbedding, and all will train you in load securement before you haul your first load. As far as equipment, I'm pretty sure someone with some experience in that area will chime in shortly...

chain binder 02-06-2012 12:54 PM

You need to sign up with Maverick or TMC. They have the best load securement training.I was with Maverick for several years and was very happy with them. As far as Heavy Haul,you have awhile before you have to worry about that.You start out hauling general flatbed freight and work your way up from there. Flatbedding is very rewarding,if you don't mind getting dirty.It is a bitch to throw lumber tarps in the wind or rain. It's all in the attitude.Alot of drivers can't cut it in flatbeds.Not knowing where you live will make a difference in which flatbed company you choose.Check the hiring area for each company I mentioned then give them a call. Best of luck.

Mr. Ford95 02-06-2012 06:24 PM

I'm one of the few who loads their own equipment onto the trailer but I'm local and I know how to run the equipment I'm loading. Most all heavy hauler's do not load construction equipment, just chain it down. Why would a driver be allowed to load something they have no clue how to operate normally?

ground_pounder 02-06-2012 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95:
I'm one of the few who loads their own equipment onto the trailer but I'm local and I know how to run the equipment I'm loading. Most all heavy hauler's do not load construction equipment, just chain it down. Why would a driver be allowed to load something they have no clue how to operate normally?

i figured there were some that know how to run the equitment. i wouldn't trust anyone to operate something they didn't know how to run and if something happens then they will sue you!!

ground_pounder 02-06-2012 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by chain binder:
You need to sign up with Maverick or TMC. They have the best load securement training.I was with Maverick for several years and was very happy with them. As far as Heavy Haul,you have awhile before you have to worry about that.You start out hauling general flatbed freight and work your way up from there. Flatbedding is very rewarding,if you don't mind getting dirty.It is a bitch to throw lumber tarps in the wind or rain. It's all in the attitude.Alot of drivers can't cut it in flatbeds.Not knowing where you live will make a difference in which flatbed company you choose.Check the hiring area for each company I mentioned then give them a call. Best of luck.

i was looking at maverick they look like a good company but there not hering out of ca :( i will keep researching though

plentygood 03-25-2012 09:56 PM

Maverick has the great load securement training and has so far been a great place to work for me.

Walking Eagle 03-26-2012 02:12 PM

Loading is some and some. Some places will load equipment for you other places, like Richie Bro. auctions, you are on your own to either figure out how to drive it or find another trucker there that knows how.

Musicman 03-28-2012 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Walking Eagle:
Loading is some and some. Some places will load equipment for you other places, like Richie Bro. auctions, you are on your own to either figure out how to drive it or find another trucker there that knows how.

You beat me to it, Eagle. I can validate that Ritchie Brothers facilities do indeed expect you to drive the equipment and even have signs posted to that affect. I was lucky last time I was there (Tipton, CA location), as I was picking up a big baler (obviously you don’t drive that) and a swather that had to have the tires removed and then be loaded by forklift.
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...9/IMAG0257.jpg
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...9/IMAG0256.jpg

And yes, before anybody bothers telling me, I know I can't run in CA with my axles spread... that was just to load.

Musicman 03-28-2012 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by ground_pounder:
i was looking at maverick they look like a good company but there not hering out of ca :( i will keep researching though

Not a lot of flatbed companies out of CA because there's almost no flatbed freight coming out of there.