Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   New federal law requiring a copy of your medical card to be sent to BMV. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/42103-new-federal-law-requiring-copy-your-medical-card-sent-bmv.html)

Corrupted_Tongue 01-01-2012 09:42 PM

New federal law requiring a copy of your medical card to be sent to BMV.

All CDL drivers who cross state lines must submit a copy of their Medical Examiners Certificate (medical card) to their local BMV. This new law will take place Jan. 30, 2012.:hellno:

What do you think about this new federal requirement?

Fozzy 01-01-2012 09:46 PM

It's already the law in several states.. not a big deal really.

golfhobo 01-01-2012 10:40 PM

We had a pretty good discussion about this some time ago. I can't seem to find the thread. Anyway, I called Raleigh and got the scoop. Although the effective date is Jan 30, 2012... you actually have until the end of 2014. IF your license is up for renewal before then, you can do it when you go to renew your license... but, they don't suggest you wait that long. IF you're license is up for renewal anytime in 2015, it will be too late (or at least, that's what she said.) As of January 2016, you will begin to get a letter decertifying your CDL.

It really is no big deal. You should have gotten (or soon will) a letter telling you about it. There is an address on the letter where you can mail a "front and back" copy of your medical card and CDL. That's all you have to do. [I suggest including a copy of the letter you receive.]

IF, however, you have any kind of medical restrictions, or that SPE thingy (not sure about the acronym,) you must appear in person before the DMV (BMV) and show your card.

Malaki86 01-01-2012 11:16 PM

It's been the law in WV since I got my CDL in 2000. Every time I renew, I have to take in my long form.

Mackman 01-02-2012 03:35 AM

What happens if you stop driving but want to keep your CDL. Just to have it. You still have to get your med. card to renew?? If so that sounds like a joke to me.

Fozzy 01-02-2012 03:58 AM

Sort of.. without a medical card, you do not have a fully functional CDL

dle 01-02-2012 04:25 AM

I renewed my license in November, the folks at the DPS never said anything about this. Nothing on the announcement boards either.

Douglas 01-02-2012 01:28 PM

I'm a city worker and we've never been required to have a medical card.

Fozzy 01-02-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas (Post 507032)
I'm a city worker and we've never been required to have a medical card.

Do you cross state lines? If not that's probably why.. intra-state driving in some states doesn't require the Med Card

Bumper 01-08-2012 05:10 AM

In Kalifornia we have to send them a copy of the long form physical and carry the original in the truck with us at all times.