Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   No experience= no job (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/41807-no-experience%3D-no-job.html)

Bratwurst 09-13-2011 10:35 AM

No experience= no job

Hello,
I just got my CDL A, how can someone get a job when when you don't have experience? Every company needs a minimum of 3 months or more? Is my only option to go over the road with a trainer or just keep hoping I catch a break?

Roadhog 09-13-2011 01:39 PM

Check with some O/O in your area that have a half dozen or more trucks.
Good chance you can get a start with one of them, and do real well.
That's how I got started.

Sharlie 09-13-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bratwurst (Post 502997)
Hello,
I just got my CDL A, how can someone get a job when when you don't have experience? Every company needs a minimum of 3 months or more? Is my only option to go over the road with a trainer or just keep hoping I catch a break?

You know what I have discovered. Trucking isn't the only career that wants a 'certificate/degree' plus experience. There is only so much you can learn from a book or classroom. Real life experience is paramount to truly comprehending one's profession. 3 months may sound like a LONG time but it's a drop in the bucket.

Good Luck and Drive Safe, winter's coming :)

rkeck 09-13-2011 06:23 PM

A training company like Schneider should not be dismissed out of hand by someone with no experience or track-record. If you're truly "good" and were born to drive, your trainer will see it and will try and cut you lose sooner. But if you've never spent any time out here, dealt with long, steep grades, snow/ice, NYC, Chicago, congested grocery warehouses built for 1950's truck/trailers, you should welcome the opportunity to have someone who (hopefully) has significant experience and knows how to pass that knowledge on.

If you bought a new corvette would you turn your 15 year-old lose in it in Houston to learn how to drive, solo, not knowing how well he could/could not drive or how safety oriented he might be or not knowing if he can see a situation developing and know how to react? Think of the immense liability and the exposure and the possibilities than please re-think your position.

repete 09-13-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkeck (Post 503012)
A training company like Schneider should not be dismissed out of hand by someone with no experience or track-record. If you're truly "good" and were born to drive, your trainer will see it and will try and cut you lose sooner. But if you've never spent any time out here, dealt with long, steep grades, snow/ice, NYC, Chicago, congested grocery warehouses built for 1950's truck/trailers, you should welcome the opportunity to have someone who (hopefully) has significant experience and knows how to pass that knowledge on.

If you bought a new corvette would you turn your 15 year-old lose in it in Houston to learn how to drive, solo, not knowing how well he could/could not drive or how safety oriented he might be or not knowing if he can see a situation developing and know how to react? Think of the immense liability and the exposure and the possibilities than please re-think your position.

VERY well said!
There is a good resaon they want to put you with a trainer.

GMAN 09-14-2011 12:19 AM

Your options will usually be limited until you gain a couple of years experience. I do have a couple of suggestions. You could go with one of the major training carriers. They will put you with a trainer and teach you the basics. They will then put you in a truck where you can run the way you want. We all must work with the same rules. You could see if you can find a local carrier that will give you a chance to prove yourself. It is a high risk for the carrier when they put an inexperienced driver in a truck. Another option could be that you find a manufacturer or local company and drive one of their delivery trucks. The important thing is to get started. Check with your local state employment office. Many companies list positions, especially local companies.

Bratwurst 09-14-2011 12:40 AM

Good point. I am a business owner and get the liability thing. Just looking for a break is all. I finished a 80 HR school in 15 so I feel I'm born for the job?

CaliTrucker 09-14-2011 01:57 AM

A 2 week course in 2 days??? :eek2:

Bratwurst 09-14-2011 02:10 AM

Thanks.

Bratwurst 09-14-2011 02:18 AM

Believe it or not. My father was a trucker, I signed up to take the test and the only thing I got wrong on the whole deal was I went over the white line a bit at a traffic light. I think my father might have been there on my test day. He died years ago. Who knows? I just know I want to drive I have a small building Corp and I'm done after 15 years.

Roadhog 09-14-2011 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bratwurst (Post 503032)
....I have a small building Corp and I'm done after 15 years.

I was a Builder myself for 20 years, and worked in the biz about 10 years before I picked up a B1 license in Michigan, and one out in California.
I was pretty burned out from it, and glad to try something different. :p

What kind of trucking do you want to do?

Bratwurst 09-14-2011 10:32 AM

What kind of trucking do you want to do?[/QUOTE]

I live in CT, regional would be good. CR England got back to me I could do a OTR training with them but would be gone for 60 straight.

repete 09-14-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bratwurst (Post 503041)
What kind of trucking do you want to do?

I live in CT, regional would be good. CR England got back to me I could do a OTR training with them but would be gone for 60 straight.[/QUOTE]

RUN!!! DON"T WALK, RUN! Read up on England here on the site and elswhere and you will see what I mean.

rkeck 09-14-2011 07:40 PM

Seems living in CT and wanting to run regional, Schneider might be a good fit for you, after all.

Bratwurst 09-15-2011 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 503058)
I live in CT, regional would be good. CR England got back to me I could do a OTR training with them but would be gone for 60 straight.

RUN!!! DON"T WALK, RUN! Read up on England here on the site and elswhere and you will see what I mean.[/QUOTE]

So your saying England is bad? They advertise like crazy here?

repete 09-15-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bratwurst (Post 503084)
RUN!!! DON"T WALK, RUN! Read up on England here on the site and elswhere and you will see what I mean.

So your saying England is bad? They advertise like crazy here?[/QUOTE] they have some nice slick ad's. Just ask yourself why would the office workers need to be behind locked doors with armed guards? Other words run away!

Bratwurst 09-15-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 503091)
So your saying England is bad? They advertise like crazy here?

they have some nice slick ad's. Just ask yourself why would the office workers need to be behind locked doors with armed guards? Other words run away![/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm calling o/o's today and some smaller companies.

Roadhog 09-15-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bratwurst (Post 503093)
Thanks, I'm calling o/o's today and some smaller companies.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:
That's what I did, and I ended up loving it.
I worked over the years for several O/O's, all 2nd or 3rd generation family business.
Always had top of the line equipment you could be real proud of, and enjoyed the folks I worked with.
I made top pay too,... better than if I started with a National Co.

I'm just sayin', either way you get a start is good, because in the end it's all about what you make of it.
You learn, gain experience, and after a year or two, you can go drive anywhere you want.

I went from reefer to flatbed. If I could start over again,... I'd skip the reefer work. :lol:

repete 09-15-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 503096)
Best of luck! :thumbsup:
That's what I did, and I ended up loving it.
I worked over the years for several O/O's, all 2nd or 3rd generation family business.
Always had top of the line equipment you could be real proud of, and enjoyed the folks I worked with.
I made top pay too,... better than if I started with a National Co.

I'm just sayin', either way you get a start is good, because in the end it's all about what you make of it.
You learn, gain experience, and after a year or two, you can go drive anywhere you want.

I went from reefer to flatbed. If I could start over again,... I'd skip the reefer work. :lol:

Roadhawg, he's talking about trucks not mule skinning!

Roadhog 09-16-2011 09:06 AM

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...nd10/point.gif...... http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...nd10/shrug.gif
All I really know is, I scour, scrub and bathe... and the wimmin still run from me crying >>>> "DIRTY!!"

Bratwurst 09-17-2011 03:00 AM

So much for looking for a small local deal. Schneider called and offered me a regional gig! I have to talk to the hiring agent on Monday to get the details but as far as I know it's up to Maine and back then some trips out to PA. Anyone drive for them? Are they a good company? I hope so because I'm beside myself I'm so damn happy.

repete 09-17-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bratwurst (Post 503155)
So much for looking for a small local deal. Schneider called and offered me a regional gig! I have to talk to the hiring agent on Monday to get the details but as far as I know it's up to Maine and back then some trips out to PA. Anyone drive for them? Are they a good company? I hope so because I'm beside myself I'm so damn happy.

Thats great! In my eyes Schneider is a pretty good Co. to work for, you may not want to make a career with them but you will get the training and exp. you need. Watch out the moose in Maine the're big suckers!

Bratwurst 09-18-2011 02:11 AM

Cool thanks repete I'll keep my eyes open, to bad I couldn't bring my rifle I would bring home dinner.