Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Making a start (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/41497-making-start.html)

bullydog 07-12-2011 04:06 AM

Making a start

My brother and I have team driven for a few years now. I am looking at getting my own truck. I dont know if I should r4un under my own authority or try to run under someone elses. My concerns with the larger companies is I have a lead foot when it comes to my Harleyand have four tickets in the last three years. No class D or CDL violations though. Just looking for some advice on starting upas an oo team. Just want to run miles. Any feedback would be appreciated.

stang1991 07-12-2011 12:35 PM

you may get the answers you are looking for if you post this in the O/O section.

Orangetxguy 07-12-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullydog (Post 500052)
My brother and I have team driven for a few years now. I am looking at getting my own truck. I dont know if I should r4un under my own authority or try to run under someone elses. My concerns with the larger companies is I have a lead foot when it comes to my Harleyand have four tickets in the last three years. No class D or CDL violations though. Just looking for some advice on starting upas an oo team. Just want to run miles. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Those four speeding tickets, even though they were on your motorscooter..are gonna kill you when you go searching for insurance. EVERY ticket you get (for the last 6 or 7 years) counts against your CDL.

bullydog 07-12-2011 01:48 PM

Thanks. Ill post it in the owner operator section.

bullydog 07-12-2011 01:49 PM

Thanks. Thats what i was affraid of. Why can the drop 55mph to 25 just like that.agghh

GMAN 07-12-2011 10:31 PM

That one ticket alone would disqualify you with most carriers and insurance companies. Anything that is 15 mph or more over the posted speed limit is an automatic disqualifier with some insurance companies. Most carriers and insurance companies will not hire or cover anyone who has more than 2 moving violations in the last 3 years. I would expect that you will need to wait until a couple of those tickets drop off. Without experience or a CDL you will be limited as to were you can even get insurance. As far as I know Progressive is the only insurance company who will insure new or inexperienced drivers who get their own authority. Before you spend money on getting a CDL or truck you may want to check to see if you can even get insurance. If you want to get your authority you will need $1 million in liability and $100,000 cargo.