Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Can Anyone help (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/41492-can-anyone-help.html)

demonprincess 07-11-2011 09:12 PM

Can Anyone help

I want to get my cdl but was convicted of a felony back in 2006 for forgery it has since been dropped to a misdemeanor but I have been turned away by so many company's I am not sure that I will ever be given the chance to get the over the road training to get my cdl dose anyone have any ideas

stang1991 07-11-2011 10:33 PM

If you do not have your CDL no company will hire, if you are looking to obtain your CDL the best thing is to attend a driving school, most companies will not look at you if you are not in a truck driving school and all require a year or more OTR exp. Also most companies require a period of 5 years without a conviction.

I think that SWIFT has its own driving school aslong as you sign a contract to stay with them for a period of time or you have pay back the tution. Really not sure about this so you may want to contact them and ask about CDL Training.

demonprincess 07-11-2011 10:46 PM

Thank you I should have my permit by next weak as I have learned alot from my family and my ex being drivers I am just not sure which school will be the best for me to go threw

paulpoker 07-13-2011 08:43 PM

Want was the felony---murder---just joking----i would talk to swift.

demonprincess 07-14-2011 11:21 PM

no not murder it was for forgery I allowed a so called friend to put his check in my account and found out latter it was a stolen check but it is no longer listed as a felony the courts reduced it to a misdemeanor

crb 07-14-2011 11:29 PM

Club one of the mega carriers like swift as others have said. Be completely honest with them especially on the application. If you get a chance watch your P's and Q's, don't complain keep your nose clean, and keep a good MVR. Do you pretrial, keep your log book up to date, be extra friendly and respectful towards customers, drivers, and company employees. Basically I'm telling yoi if you get a chance don't screw it up do your time and you can land a "better job."

GMAN 07-15-2011 12:40 AM

It might help you to get a letter from the court or your attorney that explains what happened. You may also want to check your own criminal history. You can do that by going to your local police or sheriff's office and request a copy. That is what any prospective employer should see. It would help if it was not a felony. Most carriers won't even talk to you if the conviction is less than 5-10 years old. Misdemeanor's are sometimes not looked upon as critically. The hard part will be to get a carrier to give you an opportunity. Once you prove yourself and keep your nose clean for a couple of years you should find more doors open to you.

demonprincess 07-15-2011 05:50 PM

Will do Thanks you guys it is truly appreciated

VPIDarkAngel 07-17-2011 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crb (Post 500167)
Do you pretrial...

I'm guessing that you mean 'pre-trip' here, eh?

I've also heard that Swift will hire with a felony conviction. Call them, and get an offer in writing. While I'm not their biggest fan, it's still a job. Good luck, and keep us posted.

trux 08-04-2011 01:30 AM

If it was reduced to a misdemeanor then it's not a felony. Stop using that word. Find out exactly what is on your record and don't volunteer any more than that.