Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   How hard is it to find part-time local jobs? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/41083-how-hard-find-part-time-local-jobs.html)

runfrombears 03-24-2011 03:24 PM

How hard is it to find part-time local jobs?

I'd love to pull a trailer or drive a concrete truck. But I don't want anything over 40 hours. How hard is it to find something like this? I'd be fine with even 20 hours a week. And yes I am willing to unload the truck too, thats part of the fun.

repete 03-24-2011 05:56 PM

All depends on where your at and what's avail. I knew a guy in Rochester that had a hard time filling a position that paid $15-17 IIRC and you sat in the break room in Buffalo for 4 hours while getting mt & ldd. Job was 6 hrs on the clock but he paid for 8, took him a long time to find some one to do it that had a clean drug screen and mvr.

runfrombears 03-24-2011 11:51 PM

Is it possible to get a local job without experience (straight out of school)? I refuse OTR heh..

crb 03-25-2011 12:43 AM

It will be harder to find a local tractor trailer job without experience because you need more training even after school. Most jobs of that caliber will require a year or more experience tractor trailer. Now if you are looking for class B work that's is a different story you can find those jobs, but there are usually lots of drivers looking for local jobs usually they want full-time. You don't have to go OTR to get tractor trailer experience many big carriers have regional or dedicated runs.

freebirdrfd 03-25-2011 02:31 AM

It would be nice if you filled in the location part of your profile. :smokin:

Kentla93 03-25-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runfrombears (Post 495861)
Is it possible to get a local job without experience (straight out of school)? I refuse OTR heh..

I too refused to work OTR back in 04 when I began driving..
I have been a local driver since day one of my CDL, it is just a matter of being in the right place at the right time with no expectations of making big money the first few years..
My first year out I think I made like 27 grand every year since then it has climbed, I now make more then twice that amount....
not sure about the part time aspect of what you are looking for that will most likely limit your options but it could happen if you are in the right place at the right time.
Good Luck..

Timberwolf

chain binder 03-25-2011 04:19 PM

You might check with the Equipment Rental Companies.Like RSC.They might work with you.

firebird_1252 03-27-2011 11:50 AM

check for a us mail contractor in your area. great pay very easy work. roll stuff on.. strap it up close and lock door, go to where you have to go unstrap roll off etc.

4roses 03-28-2011 05:21 AM

runfrombears ... you might consider checking with a local factory like wonderbread, paper supply company, roll off trailer company ... there out there, just pull out your local phone book and start calling. Good luck.